Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Mulligatawny Soup...

I'm brteaking down today and shopping for the ingredients for my own style of Mulligatawny Soup.  I'll make the soup tomorrow in a crock pot.

Mulligatawny Soup Hawiian Style

An East Indian recipe modified by Noel.

1 pound raw shrimp cut into pieces
1 large onion - chopped
4 celery stalks - sliced into 1 inch chunks
4 carrots - sliced into 1 inch chunks
½ fresh pineapple cut into 1 inch chunks 
1 package sliced mushrooms
6 whole cloves
6 tsp curry
3 tsp seasoned salt
3 tsp seasoned pepper
1 medium apple cut into 1 inch chunks
1 32oz package chicken stock
1 large can pineapple juice
4 cups water

Put all ingredients into a crockpot, mix well, and slow cook for 8-10 hours.

Optional - Cook a couple cups of rice and add to the soup when done.

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

The recipe looks a bit intimidating at first, but throw it all in together at the same time, maybe not quite so intimidating. Looks like it would be delicious. Pineapple juice seems a great ingredient.

All those ingredients and only four cups of water? I was expecting a gallon of soup and you inviting the needy around for lunch! 😁 

I just buy tins of soup from the supermarket. Oxtail is a favourite. 😜

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

25 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

All those ingredients and only four cups of water?

The chicken stock would be mostly water which would add 4 more cups, plus the large can of pineapple juice, which would probably be another 8 cups..

Edited by dmwalker
  • Upvote 1

Dugald Walker

11 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

All those ingredients and only four cups of water?

Four cups of water plus 32oz of chicken broth plus a large can of pineapple juice.

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I just buy tins of soup from the supermarket.

I buy tins of soup at the supermarket too.  Mostly clam chowder but also chicken noodle.

However, Mulligatawny soup is a rare treat to savored on special occasions.  I make as much as I do to eat for a couple of days and then freeze the rest to save for later.

Noel

8 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I buy tins of soup at the supermarket too.  Mostly clam chowder but also chicken noodle.

However, Mulligatawny soup is a rare treat to savored on special occasions. 

Cream of Asparagus is my favourite but at 2.15GBP a tin the price is outrageous. Christmas only.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It might be cheaper to make it Ray. 

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

16 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Cream of Asparagus is my favourite but at 2.15GBP a tin the price is outrageous. Christmas only.

Cup a Soup is cheaper. (But not as good).

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

42 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

Cup a Soup is cheaper. (But not as good).

I have those at lunchtime 2-3 days a week. Flavoured cardboard. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

This takes me back to to when I got out of the Navy and moved to San Francisco.  It was Swanson's frozen chicken pot pies, usually on sale for 25 cents, and Top Ramen noodle soup for dinner most nights.  Now I make my own big pots of Lentil and split pea and have plenty of dinner and at least 4 night of leftovers!

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

15 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

It might be cheaper to make it Ray. 

Jude, I’d have to make it in bulk to lessen the cost. That’s not an option when there’s only you to drink it. 😉 Other Baxter’s soups are cheaper and delicious. Still buy Heinz most of the time.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

True enough Ray, 
Perhaps not so strange is that Ireland, being formally part of the British Empire at one stage, also as a recipe for the above soup.

https://foodandwine.ie/mulligatawny-soup-2

I've tried it in our canteen, and nice it is too. I didn't realise it originated from India. It almost sounds Celtic in name. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Jude, tried Mulligatawny once. Too spicy for me. Coincidentally I’m currently drinking Cream of Asparagus Cup a Soup. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If you make it yourself, Ray, you can adjust the spices.  I put more curry in mine than the original recipe calls for.  And the pineapple version I published here is my own Hawaiian version.

I'm going to have to try the Irish version.

Not only rich in flavor, it's also rich in history.

https://www.archimittal.com/post/tracing-the-origin-of-mulligatawny-soup

Noel