Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

Antonov An-2 is available

The thing has slotted flaps (create laminar flow for more lift and less drag), flaperons and slats so it will glide at low speed better than you might think.

Here is how Yuri takes off ...

1 hour ago, gunther said:

Definitely a winner!

Oh, but what's with the lame liveries. This bird grew up and lived behind the Iron Curtain for Pete's sake, not some Kindergarten!

Indeed 😕 All the default Asobo-whatever Club An-2 liveries are utter word not allowed. Off to the rubbish can, each and every time. Plain waste of space. 

Checked flightsim.to and, beware, the few An-2 liveries I found are NOT for this particular bird. They apparently are for a freeware An-2 released quite some time ago.    

No worries, I'm sure artists out there won't be able to resist !

Cheers,

2Low2Slow 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@YoYo and @jankees are amongst the very best… they both love my Annuschka…. Stay tuned. When they release their output… stand by for a jaw dropping experience.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

1 hour ago, cavaricooper said:

@YoYo and @jankees are amongst the very best… they both love my Annuschka…. Stay tuned. When they release their output… stand by for a jaw dropping experience.

The icing on the cake, for me, would be if this gentleman could do for the AN-2, what he did for the DHC-4.

https://flightsim.to/file/50843/microsoft-local-legends-dhc-4-caribou-autopilot-addon

Just a basic ALT HLD & HDG HLD AP would allow me  3 hour flights without sandpapered eyeballs!

I have looked at the AN-2 .cfg code & it is accessible, so fingers crossed someone will oblige.

T45

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Horses for courses mate… for me she flies well enough with just my feet and trim… hands off for long enough to grab a sip or snack. It’s all part of her charm. My fleet will never see a GPS or AP.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

What's the point?, If your not hand flying the thing there really isnt anything else to do in the Colt, why even bother loading it up?

• Like 1

Just a minor nit, which may be a MSFS problem.  In VR when direct sunlight hits the banks of dip switches, none of them cast a shadow.  Seems some of the other controls exhibit this behavior too 😞

Other aircraft don't seem to have this problem as bad.  Yeah I know, this is splitting hairs here on an otherwise fabulously detailed and crafted ride.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

6 hours ago, cavaricooper said:

Horses for courses mate… for me she flies well enough with just my feet and trim… hands off for long enough to grab a sip or snack. It’s all part of her charm. My fleet will never see a GPS or AP.

Really short landings - I can actually land the float version in my virtual swimming pool!  :biggrin:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Landings are very short once you're down but man you have to really plan the approach, as others have said there is something amiss with the Drag model

Can those who are NOT experiencing a ridiculous lack of drag confirm they are using the GNS530/430 Version?

Apparently that version performs more realistically, I'm about to try as only flown the normal version so far

Edited by Pathfinder633

1 minute ago, Pathfinder633 said:

Can those who are NOT experiencing a ridiculous lack of drag confirm they are using the GNS530/430 Version?

I haven't flown real AN-2 so I can't comment how fast airplane decelerates IRL. However,  I did flew some airplanes IRL that not easy to decelerate and it take some planning before hand (aka staying ahead of airplane)

So far I only tried modern version of AN-2 and in order to decelerate i decrease power and increase pitch just like I do with other airframes IRL. As soon as I reach white arc I drop flaps gradually to full. At this point AN-2 able to keep high rate of descent and low speed very nicely. 

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 minute ago, sd_flyer said:

I haven't flown real AN-2 so I can't comment how fast airplane decelerates IRL. However,  I did flew some airplanes IRL that not easy to decelerate and it take some planning before hand (aka staying ahead of airplane)

So far I only tried modern version of AN-2 and in order to decelerate i decrease power and increase pitch just like I do with other airframes IRL. As soon as I reach white arc I drop flaps gradually to full. At this point AN-2 able to keep high rate of descent and low speed very nicely. 

Try the non Garmin version

2 hours ago, Pathfinder633 said:

Apparently that version performs more realistically, I'm about to try as only flown the normal version so far

Well now, this is giving me pause about buying this thing just yet.

No real AN-2 time here but a lot of time in various biplanes, and I've never met one that doesn't fall out of the sky without power.  It's almost a mantra I've chanted at new Stearman owners during checkouts: "nothing you've ever flown or ever will fly comes down like a Stearman."  The surface area and induced drag of two big fat wings pretty well guarantees this for most biplanes.

All you gotta do is look at an AN-2 to understand the same rules apply.  This thing should be a brick 😉.  Hope they get that squared away.

Andrew Crowley

You would think so yes ...  but real life videos show the thing pottering along on longish approaches at insanely low speed and it does in fact land OK if you come in at that insanely low speed and where you think you could walk faster and just casually plop yourself down pretty much on the threshold.

I am not yet convinced there is a bug.  maybe there is a bug, but just maybe 4 x split flaps (slpit flaps give more lift and less drag) , flaperons and slats add up to a slightly unusual low speed flight model.

• Like 1