Sign in to follow this  
PebbleBeach

RC 4 Need Help

Been using RC off and on since it’s inception. Been wanting to try this “No Dep Procedure” tab. Problem is I load my flight plan and then click on the “Controller Info” tab. Bottom hand left corner always shows the “Departures Procedure” box with “Alt Restrictions” auto selected. The only choice I ever have to select is “ No Alt Restrictions” as “No Dep Procedures” and “No Speed Restrict” is always greyed out. No matter what I do, “No Dep Procedures” and “No Speed Restrict” remain greyed out with no chance to select them. What gives?

Mitch

Nothing is showing in your linked images. Please provide a flight plan and I’ll see what it looks like for me.

If it’s a flight under FAA rules 250kts is mandatory until 10,000ft.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray's obviously the expert on this and he still uses RC4, but I had to consult the manual to refresh my memory The 'no dep proc' option is greyed out if the first waypoint of your plan is within 30nm as RC assumes that you have filed a DP. The 'no dep proc' option is the default if the first waypoint is further away than 30nm, but the 'no alt restr' and 'alt restrictions' options are there to allow you to tell RC that you have a DP even though your flight plan's first waypoint is greater than 30 nm away (rare I'd say if you really are using a DP).

• Like 1

Ian Box

Constvoid,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been a pilot since early 90’s so I’m all to familiar with FAA procedures etc. 

As far as RC is concerned, perhaps I misunderstood what the “No Dep Procedure” was about. All my flight plans I use I create in FS Commander as 90% of my sim flights I prefer to use real world SIDS & Stars. In fact, our motion simulator we update the database monthly using Navigraph. But I was under the assumption that using the “No Dep Procedure” would allow me to stray so long as I was within 30 miles of the airport. Obviously I was wrong. At any rate, the selection is always greyed out so it’s kind of mute. Real world ops often have controllers providing shortcuts on the SID whereas you might skip one or two and be vectored to the third. That’s the reason I was hoping to use this procedure. But again my understanding of this procedure was misinterpreted.

Thank you for the reply.

Mitch

22 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Nothing is showing in your linked images. Please provide a flight plan and I’ll see what it looks like for me.

If it’s a flight under FAA rules 250kts is mandatory until 10,000ft.

Thank you

4 hours ago, PebbleBeach said:

Constvoid,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been a pilot since early 90’s so I’m all to familiar with FAA procedures etc. 

Sorry, I wasn't implying you didn't know any of the real world stuff, just commenting on my recollections of how RC4 handles (or doesn't handle) SIDs and STARs. As I implied, I haven't used RC4 for quite some time (firstly due to a break from flight simulation, then due to moving on to MSFS), but I always thought the way it dealt with these procedures was a bit of a fudge.

However, here's a quote from the manual, which may or may not help you.

Now is a good time to discuss one of the enhancements incorporated in RCv4. The earlier version had an options box titled “Flexible Dep Proc”. In RCv4, this has been replaced by a “Dep Procedures” menu providing three alternatives - No Altitude Rest, Alt Restrictions, and No Dep Proc. There is also a box for No Speed Restrictions. These are discussed in detail later in the document. However, for users of previous versions, “Alt Restrictions” is equivalent to the old “Flexible Dep Proc” option. What is a “Flexible Dep Proc”? A ‘Flexible Departure Procedure’ means that you will not have to integrate the DP within your flight plan, but you are free to go where you want as long as you are within a 30 nm radius from the airport. That is perfect for those occasions when you do not know beforehand whether you need to fly a DP or not, or wish to join an outbound radial. File your plan, wait to see which runway you are assigned, and use a DP as necessary.

Ian Box

9 hours ago, PebbleBeach said:

All my flight plans I use I create in FS Commander as 90% of my sim flights I prefer to use real world SIDS & Stars.

Just like me! I include the SID and STAR waypoints in my plan fed into RC4. I also have Alt Restrictions set as the preferred option.

You are expected to fly within 2nm of each waypoint up to 30nm away from the departure airport. Thereafter it's 5nm. Just like real life I expect.

The Direct To option doesn't become available until the 30nm point. Thereafter you can select Direct To but this is really there for the times when RC4 doesn't credit you for passing a waypoint and will give you a heading back to it. Usually a 180 turn.

On reaching 40nm from the arrival airport you have two options. 1) Take vectors from RC4 for a landing on the most apprpropriate runway. Usually the one Ai are using but those with ILS do get priority providing a tail wind is < 5 kts.

The alternative is to fly your own approach using the waypoints in your filed plan. You won't hear from RC4 again until 7nm out when Tower will contact you.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Just like me! I include the SID and STAR waypoints in my plan fed into RC4. I also have Alt Restrictions set as the preferred option.

You are expected to fly within 2nm of each waypoint up to 30nm away from the departure airport. Thereafter it's 5nm. Just like real life I expect.

The Direct To option doesn't become available until the 30nm point. Thereafter you can select Direct To but this is really there for the times when RC4 doesn't credit you for passing a waypoint and will give you a heading back to it. Usually a 180 turn.

On reaching 40nm from the arrival airport you have two options. 1) Take vectors from RC4 for a landing on the most apprpropriate runway. Usually the one Ai are using but those with ILS do get priority providing a tail wind is < 5 kts.

The alternative is to fly your own approach using the waypoints in your filed plan. You won't hear from RC4 again until 7nm out when Tower will contact you.

Ray,

Many thanks for this explanatory response. I misunderstood what the entire procedure was intended to do. I now have a better understanding of what the procedure (menu choice) was intended to accomplish after having read yours and Constvoid's explanations. Thank you gentlemen!

Mitch

• Like 1