Sign in to follow this  
aerostar

MSFS Turbulence Airliners

2 hours ago, aerostar said:

With the voices of the smaller GA aircraft fliers managing to win the day and pressure Asobo/MS to cut down on the amount of turbulence experienced in the cockpit, I find that airliners turbulence effects and realism have been neutered.

I was getting much better more realistic turbulence before in my A320/737 than now.

It is frustrating to be taken a step back in realistic realism development.

It is so unreal looking/feeling when in turbulent weather and the plane hardly   -  drifts, weathercocks, wiggles, bobs, dips, balloons, rocks, rolls and doesn't get windshear...  anymore.

Back to boring approaches that make it harder to maintain interest.....

Can all those who notice this please join and generate a voice directed at Asobo/MS in order to remedy this....   and counter the fair weather (like to have the plane on rails brigade) who don't really know what turbulence is like for real. ( or those who actually DON'T want any turbulence !)

PS - I added this part to let viewers know that yes, I did set the option to 'Realistic'

Interesting assessment on your part.
For sure each pilot will perceive turbulence in a different way, for that reason, there are clear definitions/explanations as to how to report this phenomenon. A search of those definitions/classifications can be found under FAA, ICAO, or CAA to have a clear understanding.
As a real airline pilot previously qualified in A320 or B737, I can assure you that this effect is pretty close to the real thing within the limitations of a "game" desktop simulator.
Comparing GA aircraft with an airliner's reaction is not correct, that's another reason when you report turbulence is to specify aircraft type. When ATC will give you a report regarding an issue like that, it will clearly specify also the A/C type.
I hope that you realize that if  C152 will report light turbulence an A320 X B737 will not even experience light chop.
Without any misunderstanding here or to be taken the wrong way, when was the last time when you flew for real a smaller ga aircraft and an A320 and experienced the same wx conditions at the same precise location?
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Unless your really in bad weather the rides in an airliner are usually pretty good. We feel much less turbulance in the cockpit than the passengers feel so that might be why you feel its under modeled as well. Honestly 95% percent of the time it's just light chop. As for the effect in MSFS the old turbulance model made GA flying a nightmare to the point I had to turn wind off... 

• Like 4

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Perhaps to take the subjectiveness or ambiguity out of this Asobo/MS could maybe get real life forces by wiring sensors to measure the relevant parameters on various categories of aircraft and transcompute the results into the sim.....  or maybe those figures already exist ?

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

2 minutes ago, z06z33 said:

Unless your really in bad weather the rides in an airliner are usually pretty good. We feel much less turbulance in the cockpit than the passengers feel so that might be why you feel its under modeled as well. Honestly 95% percent of the time it's just light chop. As for the effect in MSFS the old turbulance model made GA flying a nightmare to the point I had to turn wind off... 

Yes that's fine but when adjusting for the small aircraft negatively affects the large aircraft then something seems amiss...

12 minutes ago, aerostar said:

Yes that's fine but when adjusting for the small aircraft negatively affects the large aircraft then something 

Im an airline pilot, I can honestly say the worst turbulance(in an airliner) I've ever experienced is moderate and that was only for a few seconds. For example Landing in PIT the other day it was 20 gusting 40 with LLWS advisories and besides airspeed fluctuations from the gusts the ride wasn't anything beyond chop for us up front but when we got on the ground one of the FAs talked about a bumpy approach. My point was up front you don't feel the bumps as much as in the back. So unless you have experience in the cockpit of an airliner you have no frame of reference to judge realism upon. Besides who wants a crappy ride anyway... We try to avoid those even light chop.

Edited by z06z33
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

1 hour ago, robert young said:

Have you tried adding gusts in your wind set up? Adding gusts (assuming they still work after SU12) will give you as much added turbulence as you need. So you now have 4 separate controls: Low, medium, realistic PLUS added turbulence through adding manual gusts. I can't see how that "neuters" air masses while flying a 737.

...if I didn't have to set this every flight and get it to mix well with Live Weather then yes...  I would.

Perhaps there is a scalar for turbulence in the Sim code now,  that can be adjusted to suit....   anyone ?

• Upvote 1

Hello, @aerostar

People seem to think that every landing is a constant fight against the atmosphere, and it's not.

You're complaining about the lack of turbulence, so you're probably not a real life pilot. So, I ask you: show a video of an ILS approach in manual flight. No wind and no turbulence. I want to see everything nailed: glide slope and localizer, all the time, with the due and small corrections, and touchdown smooth and at the aiming point.

I repeat: perhaps many simmers do not know the true challenge of a good landing, from approach to touchdown.

The truth is, Asobo had completely screwed up the atmosphere at SU11, and now they seem to have fixed it.

So the solution would be to implement unrealistic mode - as many want - as an optional feature, for those who want to play a game and fight against the atmosphefe every landing.

But if you want to simulate as faithfully as possible, you can throw the SU11 in the trash. I hope that never comes back!

I hope you can  see the true challenges of a flight. I'm waiting for the video.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

.... we are discussing how the plane handles and reacts in gusty windy stormy weather, not calm weather .    

8 minutes ago, Trovis said:

People seem to think that every landing is a constant fight against the atmosphere, and it's not.

I do not think this and I dont think many pilots think this...  this is being disrespectful to the subject, I think.

Edited by aerostar

FWIW FsRealistic has a turbulence setting, if you own it you could mess with that option, it really does add a lot of movement. How real? Anyones guess. Tune to your liking. 

as far as I believe this is just a camera shake adjuster.

Edited by aerostar

40 minutes ago, aerostar said:

I do not think this and I dont think many pilots think this...  this is being disrespectful to the subject, I think.

So just to confirm, you're not an actual pilot, attempt to speak on their behalf, but still insist something wrong even though several pilots have said otherwise..?

Are you pulling our leg to get a reaction?

• Like 8

...well I'm glad I'm not the only one...

...and he is a real pilot,   wonder if he is classed as making idiotic suggestions...

....cut to the chase from - 16 mins ....

5 minutes ago, aerostar said:

...well I'm glad I'm not the only one...

...and he is a real pilot,   wonder if he is classed as making idiotic suggestions...

....cut to the chase from - 16 mins ....

You should watch the video you just posted in it's entirety if that's your conclusion

• Like 4