Sign in to follow this  
Gazzareth

What do you consider the essentials?

New to XPlane from other sims, so I already have the likes of Charts, EFB, LNM, P2ATC which are working.

My interest in the sim is for top quality business jets, so already got the Challenger. 

Interested in what users would consider the "essentials" for XPlane. Any answers appreciated...

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I’ll start

Avitab

Better Pushback

Simheaven X-World

• Like 5

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

SimHeaven X-World (Uses OSM data for forests, buildings etc - also uses MSFS building footprints)
Global Forests V2 (many areas of the world not served well by OSM data. In those areas Global Forests offer better coverage)
AutoOrtho (streaming worldwide satelite imagery)
Ortho4XP (Downloadable satelite imagery for areas you want higher resolution than AutoOrtho streamed)
XOrganiser V3 (get everything in the scenery_packs.ini file in the correct order automatically)
XRoads (if you use satelite imagery and you want to disable default X-Plane generated roads - roads in the satelite imagery are seen instead)

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

And... you started from the very TOP in terms of addons, and the suggestions above are excellent, so, I honestly think you just need to use it now, and enjoy the excellent simulation the CL 650 provides. It's a flight simulator in it's own 🙂

ASXP12 might also be a good option with time and as soon as HiFi get's the necessary control over the sim variables...

Ah, and OFC, Navigraph !

• Like 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well if you already have the CL650 I think it's hard to find anything surpassing it.. 😉

XPRealistic is rather nice. 

Simheaven X-world as another one said (although I wonder if this is causing quite the FPS drops for me sometimes while up high over certain parts of Europe..?)

• Like 3

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

To add to MrBitstFlyer list of essential addons, even though this may not total be essential but certainly should be added is the Xplane 12 Handbook. This should be added to you library for reference. This link is for book one.

https://store.x-plane.org/Flying-Low-The-X-Plane-12-Handbook--Book-1_p_1627.html 

Book two is the link below covers more of the scenery aspect in how its works as well as giving a larger number for examples and links to the freeware and payware scenery.

https://store.x-plane.org/X-Plane-12-Handbook--Book-2--Scenery_p_1681.html

It may also help to have an account or org as well where you can have access to number of freeware and payware notification as they come out. We try to do are best to let everyone know what new as find out ourselves but there find the actual files.  The best part, for each book you only buy once, you will get the updates for free throughout the life if XP12 only.  He keeps adding as more things become known to XP12.

As you have stated that you have the Challenger 650 which I think is the most detailed study level aircraft packed with more real world function where some simmers would not even know its there unless you have flown the real thing. You will enjoy it.

Edited by BobFS88
  • Like 1

Flight stick / pedals / Throttle 😁

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

8 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Good point actually. Decent hardware is definitely a boost in immersion. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

+ VR + Buttkicker 🤪

• Upvote 3

Thanks, seems like there is some good suggestions there.

Noticed that there is no suggestion for terrain mesh - is that more hassle than it's worth?

Certainly impressed by the Challenger, it's on a completely different level to anything I have flown in a sim before...

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

3 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

Noticed that there is no suggestion for terrain mesh - is that more hassle than it's worth?

Ortho4XP, if you hunt down for good free DEM data, it can make this for you, otherwise it's mostly third-party paid software that'll get you this. There is HD/UHD Mesh, but this is no longer being updated.

My personal opinion... unless you're flying through mountains in a helicopter or piper cub etc, the extra overhead needed to render a detailed mesh is not worth it. If anything, it will kill your framerate and loading times and doesn't add that much to the simulation

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

X-Camera.  

https://www.stickandrudderstudios.com/x-camera/

...L

• Like 1

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

15 hours ago, tonywob said:

the extra overhead needed to render a detailed mesh is not worth it. If anything, it will kill your framerate and loading times and doesn't add that much to the simulation

What mesh setting would you recommend for Ortho4XP.  I must admit I did have a setting giving 5 million triangles in some tiles!

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

22 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I must admit I did have a setting giving 5 million triangles in some tiles!

Yeah, that's a lot :biggrin:

Here are the settings I generally use, and this normally keeps my tiles nice and lean:

295505582_Screenshot2023-03-27at13_52_42.thumb.png.0817ae0ca2f80b21a2d468d998caeaa3.png

One of the biggest hidden killers of framerate is inland water and masks. You don't see the detail in the mesh, but all water features, even tiny ponds can end up being baked into the mesh and increasing the triangle count a lot without adding much, so I reduce these a lot and use the triangle budget elsewhere. I also limit the triangles to around 2,000,000 but may up those to a max of 4 million. These settings have served me well :)

P.S. Ignore the "skip_converts" option... it should be set to false 

• Like 2