Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Chat GPT Question

@goates, this application strikes me as being potentially extremely dangerous. I won’t be going anywhere near it. I prefer to get information from more traditional sources.

Over and out.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

Oz, These are gold!! 🤣 Not sure who I can put in the credits though...🤔   

Screenplay by:

GP Chatman

Actors:

Ray            Chat  Mod

Oz              Chatty Mc Chat Face 😏

In all seriousness though, what you have really described is how to create these outcomes by selecting criteria that ChatGPT can use to develop its answer. Would I be correct then if I said that by formatting the criteria so that it must include certain words like MSFS Flight Plan that it could create flight plans based on the other criteria provided? Also, how about post flight analysis? Could ChatGPT be used in some way for that? I suppose it depends where it gets it's data from and it may not be able to get it from in-game...at the moment. I can already see many business applications (especially marketing puffery) but I wonder what 'real' use we can make of it in MSFS? Perhaps a check ride Captain providing advice in flight?      

1. The outcome is unknowable, but the human has control of the prompt. The art of content generation therefore becomes prompt generation and editing, rather than the actual grunt work of writing (note that my TV show pitches are the raw, unedited output).

2. "Would I be correct then if I said that by formatting the criteria so that it must include certain words like MSFS Flight Plan that it could create flight plans based on the other criteria provided?" You just ask it in natural language to do what you want it to do, and then it goes and does it.

For example:

My prompt: Write a flight plan for a flight between Melbourne and Auckland, for use in Microsoft Flight Simulator with the default A320.

Sure! Here's a sample flight plan for a flight from Melbourne to Auckland using Microsoft Flight Simulator with the default A320:

Departure Airport: Melbourne Tullamarine Airport (YMML) Destination Airport: Auckland Airport (NZAA)

Route:

1. YMML - DCT - ESKOL
  2. ESKOL - Q29 - ML H363 HN A461 AA NZAA

Altitude and Speed: Cruise Altitude: FL350 (35,000 feet) Cruise Speed: Mach 0.78

Departure Time: 10:00 AM local time

Departure Runway: Runway 34

Flight Duration: Approximately 3 hours and 30 minutes

Notes:

• The departure runway may vary depending on current weather conditions and air traffic control instructions.
  • Make sure to check current weather conditions and adjust the flight plan accordingly.
  • The flight plan includes one waypoint (ESKOL) before joining airway Q29 to New Zealand.
  • The arrival runway may vary depending on current weather conditions and air traffic control instructions.
  • Follow all ATC instructions and standard operating procedures.

3. Post flight analysis. There's no way to enter data other than by direct text entry with the standard ChatGPT. You could enter your flight data and ask it for feedback if you really wanted to, though I wouldn't actually do this in practice.

My prompt: Please perform a post-flight analysis for my Melbourne to Auckland flight in Microsoft Flight Simulator. I completed this flight in a simulated 737-800. It took me 5 hours. My landing rate was 1200 feet per minute.

Sure, I'd be happy to perform a post-flight analysis for your Melbourne to Auckland flight in Microsoft Flight Simulator!

Flight Time: Firstly, your flight took 5 hours to complete, which is a bit longer than the real-world flight time between Melbourne and Auckland. The actual flight time for this route is around 3 hours and 30 minutes, so it seems like you may have flown at a lower speed than necessary or encountered some headwinds during the flight.

Landing Rate: Your landing rate was 1200 feet per minute, which is a bit high. The recommended maximum landing rate for most aircraft is typically around 600-700 feet per minute. Landing at a higher rate can result in a harder landing and can also increase wear and tear on the landing gear.

Overall, it's important to remember that Microsoft Flight Simulator is a great tool for practicing and improving your flying skills, but it's not a perfect simulation of real-world conditions. When using the simulator, it's important to try and replicate real-world procedures and conditions as much as possible to get the most accurate training experience.

3. "Perhaps a check ride Captain providing advice in flight?      "

Yes, that's more like what it's actually useful for. I do use it for functions like that, after converting the text to audio using separate online AI-based TTS.

Here's a prompt: Imagine you are the Training Captain at an airline, and I am a new First Officer flying the Boeing 737-800 for the first time. Explain to me what I need to do to set the aircraft up for an ILS landing at Melbourne Airport. Be specific about the steps I need to take, and make sure that the information provided is technically correct.

And ChatGPT response:

Welcome aboard, First Officer! As you're flying the Boeing 737-800 for the first time, I'll guide you through the steps to set up the aircraft for an Instrument Landing System (ILS) approach at Melbourne Airport (YMML). This is a precision approach that relies on ground-based radio signals to guide you to the runway. Let's get started.

1. Obtain the ILS frequency and course: Before starting the approach, you'll need to obtain the ILS frequency and course for the runway you'll be landing on. You can find this information in the approach charts or the Air Traffic Control (ATC) may provide it. For example, if you're landing on Runway 16 at YMML, the ILS frequency is 109.7 MHz, and the course is 160 degrees.

2. Set up the navigation radios: Tune the ILS frequency (e.g., 109.7 MHz) into the NAV1 radio and set the course in the Course Select Panel (CSP) for the Captain's side. Cross-check and set the same frequency and course on the First Officer's side as well.

3. Verify ILS signal: Monitor the ILS signal on the Primary Flight Display (PFD). You'll see a localizer deviation scale (horizontal bar) and a glideslope deviation scale (vertical bar). Make sure the ILS identifier (e.g., "IMML" for Melbourne) is displayed, and you can hear the Morse code identifier when selecting the ILS audio.

4. Configure the autopilot: When you're ready to intercept the localizer, select the "LOC" (Localizer) mode on the Mode Control Panel (MCP). This will arm the localizer capture. After capturing the localizer, the "LOC" annunciation will be displayed in green on the PFD.

5. Intercept the glideslope: As you approach the glideslope, select "G/S" (Glideslope) mode on the MCP. This will arm the glideslope capture. After capturing the glideslope, the "G/S" annunciation will be displayed in green on the PFD.

6. Set missed approach altitude: Refer to the approach chart for the missed approach altitude, and set this altitude on the MCP.

7. Configure the aircraft: As you descend on the glideslope, progressively configure the aircraft for landing by setting the appropriate flaps, gear down, and landing speed (Vref). Cross-check and verify each configuration change.

8. Run the approach and landing checklists: Complete the approach and landing checklists to ensure all necessary actions have been completed.

9. Monitor the approach: Continuously monitor the localizer and glideslope deviations, airspeed, and altitude during the approach. Also, be prepared for a go-around if necessary.

10. Disengage the autopilot: When you have visual contact with the runway and you're confident to continue the approach manually, disengage the autopilot and autothrottle. Hand-fly the aircraft to a smooth touchdown, following the runway's PAPI or VASI lights for proper glide path guidance.

Remember, practice makes perfect. As you gain more experience flying the Boeing 737-800, you'll become more familiar with its systems and procedures. Good luck, and have a safe flight!

This is actually a pretty good example of what ChatGPT is actually good at. I'm impressed that I chose a random airport and it correct picked a runway, course and ILS frequency. All in all, that would be a useful resource for someone who is just starting out with the PMDG 737.

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@goates, this application strikes me as being potentially extremely dangerous. I won’t be going anywhere near it. I prefer to get information from more traditional sources.

Over and out.

I don't think it's any more dangerous than the internet. As with any new technology some people will find a way to abuse or twist it to more malicious uses. Part of the learning curve will be figuring out how to adapt to it. Even if you do your best to avoid it, others will be using it. Google and Microsoft are both working to bring the technology to their respective office applications (maybe we'll get an actually useful Clippy this time around...) and search engines, and others are doing the same with their products. With the right APIs and training, future versions of the technology could well be integrated into flight sims.

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Over and out.

Not to be overly pedantic, but it is impossible to be both "over" and "out" simultaneously...

"Over" means "I'm done talking and will listen for a reply."

"Out" means "I'm done talking and the conversation is completed."  😊

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

13 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Not to be overly pedantic, but it is impossible to be both "over" and "out" simultaneously...

😁 I’ve heard it said in films I’m sure. Too long ago to recall which ones.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Well, yes, Hollywood frequently gets it wrong and perpetuates this gross misuse of communications protocol.  🤣

Fr. Bill    

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Per ChatGPT:

Is "over and out" correct radio terminology?

No, "over and out" is not correct radio terminology. "Over" means the speaker is finished talking and is waiting for a response, while "out" means the conversation is finished and the speaker is ending the transmission. Using "over and out" together would be redundant and contradictory. Instead, the correct way to end a radio communication is to use either "over" to indicate that the speaker is waiting for a response or "out" to indicate that the conversation is finished.

😊

On 3/27/2023 at 7:50 AM, JacquesBrel said:

At least ChatGPT's advice won't contain grumbling and disparaging remarks about certain MSFS features/aircraft/developers etc. that it doesn't like.

Whatever makes you think that?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Ive heard Roger-Wilco a few times too.......its like fingernails on a blackboard 😬

10 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

1. The outcome is unknowable, but the human has control of the prompt. The art of content generation therefore becomes prompt generation and editing, rather than the actual grunt work of writing (note that my TV show pitches are the raw, unedited output).

2. "Would I be correct then if I said that by formatting the criteria so that it must include certain words like MSFS Flight Plan that it could create flight plans based on the other criteria provided?" You just ask it in natural language to do what you want it to do, and then it goes and does it.

For example:.....................................

That's enlightening Oz. I have signed up but I can see from baby prompt steps that to get the best answers, I am going to need to brush up on developing useful prompts. But clearly, just changing one of the criteria in the prompt, aircraft type for example, customises the ChatGP answer. That's a wow. I have just used it to help me diagnose an issue with my car. Eager to impress my wife who is learning Cello I asked it how to shift positions on the Cello. She wasn't impressed. "Ï know that...I just can't do it!" ..and stormed out.... I guess it's not for everybody!😒   

Cheers

Terry        

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

7 hours ago, Pathfinder633 said:

Ive heard Roger-Wilco a few times too.......its like fingernails on a blackboard 😬

"Roger, wilco" is a totally separate response keyed to a request/order/command from higher. It means "I understand and will comply."

Another bit of protocol trivia are the tactical callsigns used in the Army. The Company commander would be 6 Actual, the Company XO would be 5 Actual, 7 Actual would be the Company 1st Sergeant. "Actual" simply means the person themselves. A call for "Bravo 6" would indicate you wanted to speak with anyone associated with the Company B commander, which could be "Bravo 6 Romeo" (radioman) or "Bravo 6 Delta (driver).

I have no idea how or why the protocol is numbered so weirdly....

Fr. Bill    

2 hours ago, n4gix said:

I have no idea how or why the protocol is numbered so weirdly....

In army tactical communications, a callsign is a unique identifier used to refer to a specific unit or individual over the radio. Callsigns are used to prevent confusion and ensure effective communication between units and personnel on the battlefield.

Callsigns are typically assigned by higher headquarters and can take many forms, including alphanumeric codes, nicknames, or acronyms. They are often based on a unit's mission or location, or on the name or initials of an individual.

Using callsigns in tactical communications can help to reduce confusion and prevent mistakes, as it allows for quick and easy identification of the person or unit being addressed. It also helps to maintain security by concealing the identity of the individual or unit communicating, which can be important in a tactical situation.

Callsigns are typically used in conjunction with proper radio etiquette, including clear and concise communication, the use of standard protocols and procedures, and the avoidance of unnecessary chatter or jargon. This ensures that communications are efficient, effective, and focused on the mission at hand.

Overall, callsigns play an important role in army tactical communications, enabling soldiers to quickly and accurately identify units and personnel over the radio, and facilitating clear and effective communication on the battlefield.

Guess where that came from 🙂 

Cheers

Terry

Edited by Lord Farringdon

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

18 hours ago, Pathfinder633 said:

Whatever makes you think that?

Lol, I literally posted a ChatGPT reply earlier in this thread where it absolutely trashed MSFS. 🙂

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

11 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

Guess where that came from 🙂 

chatGTP of course...

which gives clear and concise information, but it did not provide any examples. What I note however is the lack of logic in the "numbering sequence." Why, for example, is the senior NCO in the command hierarchy numbered as 7, which is higher than the Company, Battalion, Brigade commanders who are tagged as 6? That's totally non-intuitive! For consistency then, the senior NCO should be numbered as 4.

As for the supposed obfuscation being somehow more "secure," while there is some minuscule degree of obscurity, the very fact that this is public knowledge truly isn't very effective at all.

Fr. Bill    

50 minutes ago, n4gix said:

the senior NCO should be numbered as 4.

4 would be the head of logistics.  Others are:

S1 - Personnel, S2 - Intelligence, S3 - Operations, S4 - Logistics

I worked in brigade operations for a while.  The officer in charge was "3".

"5" was always the XO, "6" was always the commander.  I'd never heard of "7" being used.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;