Sign in to follow this  
KennyG

More FSX problems IT NEVER EVER WORKS!!

Guest Pilot533

Ever since Ive been getting oom's with xp 32 I moved onto vista 64, and the oom vista patch made me feel even better about my descision. But fsx has not been usable at all. In xp I would get good frames all the time as long as bloom and water was off. It would be slightly blurry. Now with vista my fps are horrible, and my textures are blurry. ANd just today when testing fsx when I switched to full screen I didnt get the usual oom message, instead I got a message saying that I was low on memory, not out. Core 0 was maxed out, and my ram usage was 70%. Didnt think that would be an issue since Im running 4gb of ram and microsoft has fixed the oom issue. And please dont tell me the oom's have nothing to do with phgysical ram size, I know that already. What is it with vista? Why do I have a new reason to hate micro$oft every time I turn on my pc? Is anyone running vista with fsx well?Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike,I know it doesn't help much... but I am running FSX on vista64 very well, stable, frames OK ( not fantastic, but OK -24 locked with the Realair SF260 out in the countryside,40% AI- less in urban areas )and no bluries.I am running a lesser system, an AMD64x2 3800, 2gb ram, and this could well be critical - an ATI x850pro. I am wondering if the nvidia drivers are to blame for some or all of your issues? Have you experimented with drivers?Another thing. just a thought, but vista always tells me that FSX is incompatable with certain visual elements and switches to vista basic upon launch of FSX. Does yours do that?Paul

>Ever since Ive been getting oom's with xp 32 I moved onto>vista 64, and the oom vista patch made me feel even better>about my descision. But fsx has not been usable at all. In xp>I would get good frames all the time as long as bloom and>water was off. It would be slightly blurry. Now with vista>my fps are horrible, and my textures are blurry. ANd just>today when testing fsx when I switched to full screen I didnt>get the usual oom message, instead I got a message saying that>I was low on memory, not out. Core 0 was maxed out, and my>ram usage was 70%. Didnt think that would be an issue since>Im running 4gb of ram and microsoft has fixed the oom issue. >And please dont tell me the oom's have nothing to do with>phgysical ram size, I know that already. What is it with>vista? Why do I have a new reason to hate micro$oft every>time I turn on my pc? Is anyone running vista with fsx well?>>Thanks in advance for any help.Experiment with different driver releases.

Mike,It seems you're overclocking the heck out of that setup. Are you sure the voltages are high enough to support it? You may want to nudge the vMem up a bit and see if it helps.Regards,Jim Karn

>Ever since Ive been getting oom's with xp 32 I moved onto>vista 64, and the oom vista patch made me feel even better>about my descision. But fsx has not been usable at all. In xp>I would get good frames all the time as long as bloom and>water was off. It would be slightly blurry. Now with vista>my fps are horrible, and my textures are blurry. ANd just>today when testing fsx when I switched to full screen I didnt>get the usual oom message, instead I got a message saying that>I was low on memory, not out. Core 0 was maxed out, and my>ram usage was 70%. Didnt think that would be an issue since>Im running 4gb of ram and microsoft has fixed the oom issue. >And please dont tell me the oom's have nothing to do with>phgysical ram size, I know that already. What is it with>vista? Why do I have a new reason to hate micro$oft every>time I turn on my pc? Is anyone running vista with fsx well?>>Thanks in advance for any help.Check Phil Taylor's BlogThere is a Microsoft Hotfix for your memory problem.Good Luck.Kenny G.

Guest Pilot533

Yep, I mentioned that in my post. Well its good to hear someone is using fsx with vista. That at least means its posible. What driver versions are working well with fsx? And about the voltages, the system is stable, the voltages dont have anything to do with speed, only stability.

Guest UlfB

Mike,Please forgive me if you think that my questions are stupid:Have you benchmarked your system to ensure that your hardware and Vista are in top chape? Have you monitored your CPU/GPU/Mobo temps during benchmarking?Have you optimized Vista for performance? I don't use Vista myself, but I guess it's the same as XP. After install you got to disable a lot of services and turn of the fancy GUI stuff. Disabled any antivirus software prior to starting FSX?I've never experienced the OOM problem. Maybe it's because I don't have all sliders at maximum. Do you get OOM errors when flying over none urban areas with low AI-settings and with no add-on sceneries?How much available RAM do you have in Vista prior to starting FSX? What's your availble RAM when you started a flight in FSX?Ulf B :-)

I don't get OOM errors on a daily basis either, but I can guarantee an OOM error in about five minutes or less if I load up the Level D 767 and fly out of KJFK towards Manhattan.Ron

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

Mike,Here's the OOM fix from Microsoft, highly recommended by Phil Taylor, one each for 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105nVidia just released a new set of drivers that seem to work well on Vista: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_download...betadriver.htmlI'm using both as well as all of the critical fixes sent via Windows Update and have not had an OOM since. Additionally, I used the fix here by Marcus Brunner: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...topic_id=399256It wouldn't hurt to back up your fsx.cfg and delete the original. Let FSX build a new one.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest Pilot533

I already said I have the oom fixes for vista, I was talking about ooms in xp not vista. Im getting low performance and blurries with vista, not ooms. I have downloaded the new drivers and will try them out later. Thanks.

Ron,Never had an OOM so I rose to the challenge... LDSX, UTerrainX, UTrafficX (40%) out of Kennedy, straight over Manhatten and onwards.. no problem.... well, frames weren't exactly sky rocketing, but it was flyable.Once out of the area they settled into a flyable 18-20.Paul

I don't pretend to know what is the magic bullet that causes OOM but I am pretty sure it has a lot to do with scenery and graphics complexity. I have Genesis Mesh, Ultimate Terrain X, Active Sky X, X Graphics, Track IR, FS Real Time, plus a few add-on airport sceneries. My operating system is Vista Ultimate 32. The first time I got an OOM, I took off in the Level D 767 from KSDF flying north towards KIND. 20 minutes into the flight at 31,000 ft. FSX started acting funny (freezing and graphic glitches) and a minute or so later I get the OOM message and FSX shuts down.Since then I cut back a few sliders like auto-gen and scenery complexity. I noticed immediately I could fly the Level D 767 for extended periods without the dreaded OOM. I recently bumped up the slider settings a notch or so and the OOM was back. It is work noting also that I have not yet had OOM while flying GA aircraft like the RealAir SF260 or the Aerosoft Beaver. It seems complex aircraft like the Level D with large amounts of graphics and custom gauges exacerbate the memory problem.Ron

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)