Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Localizer and glide slope

Guest happ

I realize this is a very basic question but I have not used a flightsim for some time and I decided to invest in FSX but I have a problem which I did know the answer to but at the moment I need some help please.When I`ve got onto the frequency for the destination airport and I`m given height and heading and told to pick up the localizer what do I do to achieve this do I select fd and app on the ap and on which dial do the arrows appear for me to adjust horistontal and height so as to get on the glide slope also how would all the above apply to the Cessna,beachbaron,learjet and heavies.thanks

Guest DanWalloch

The ILS (instrument landing system), which is your localizer and glideslope, you need to look up the frequency for the specific runway. Also you need to turn the CDI or OBS (it will either be the knob on the dial or the A/P as the CRS knob) to the inbound course heading which will be found on the page that has the frequency.

>Also you need to turn the CDI or OBS (it will>either be the knob on the dial or the A/P as the CRS knob) to>the inbound course heading which will be found on the page>that has the frequency.While it is a useful visual reminder of the inbound course, the localizer portion of the ILS signal does not require you to set the OBS to the inbound course. When tuned to the localizer, the navigation receiver will disable the OBS selection and will give an indication of whether you are right/left of the signal no matter what the OBS is set to or the direction of the aircraft.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

>While it is a useful visual reminder of the inbound course,>the localizer portion of the ILS signal does not require you>to set the OBS to the inbound course. When tuned to the>localizer, the navigation receiver will disable the OBS>selection and will give an indication of whether you are>right/left of the signal no matter what the OBS is set to or>the direction of the aircraft.Although you are technically correct Jeff, for purposes of proper spatial awareness, folks who do not set the OBS reasonably close to the desired runway heading are flirting with disaster!If - for example - the OBS happens to be set closer to the reciprocal, it would be very easy to interpret the CDI as being left of the localizer when in fact you are right of the localizer... *:-* Cockpit workload is heavy enough during IMC without having to second guess your instrument's display!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator