Sign in to follow this  
dilore

Can't run it

More than 2½ years after release I figured MSFS is stable enough to give it a try.

I purchased the DeLuxe version on Steam but it crashes seconds after the title screen (where some of the aircraft are shown) is displayed.

I'm running on a PC with Windows 10.

I've disabled my anti virus program, have tried safe mode, synchronized my Windows clock, updated everything in the Microsoft Store, restarted the PC, verified the integrity of the Steam files, un- and reinstalled MSFS - no change.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!  

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

some HW specs? Like CPU, RAM , GFX Card, AMD or NVIDA? Which driver? Overclocked? Anything in community folder (seemingly not since you only just installed MSFS). I am not familiar with the Steam version but I should definitely run on your system and something's odd

Edit see your small printed sig just now. the 3080 is fine for sure and the CPU should be able to do it even though maybe not in ultra settings , but it should make it at least to the menu

Edited by DAD

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

37 minutes ago, dilore said:

verified the integrity of the Steam files,

This is a very bad idea. Verifying files on Steam is known to lead to deletion of (nearly) the complete installation.  It's beyond my comprehesion why MS neglected this issue for more than 2 years now.

If you really did this and your /Offical folder is empty (or nearly empty) or completely missing you will have to reinstall the complete sim.

I know what I speak about, I did this once myself.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

If you've already done a reinstall and you're still having issues I'd suggest first uninstalling via Windows. Then have a go at deleting all existing msfs-related folders.

Prior to uninstall/reinstall, you could try these steps. They may help because it sounds like you're crashing around the point where during loading, the sim is usually checking for updates then syncing with your cloud settings.

Lastly (other Steam users could say, I'm on the MS store version), make sure you also have the Xbox app installed, up-to-date, and are logged in there before you try to launch.

ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE Z270, i7-7700K OC@4.8, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, VKBSim Gladiator joystick, CH Pro pedals, Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (main drive/sim drive), WD Black 1TB HDD

From my own recent experience: Do you by any chance have Geforce Experience installed? Its known to cause crashes on some systems and i too had this some days ago.

Edited by ThomseN_inc

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Thanks guys, I tried all of your suggestions, but to no avail.

This is a vanilla installation, so there exist no 3rd party add-ons, not even the command for deleting the cloud saves seemes to be installed yet. The Steam 'boot MSFS' is about 1.8 GB large.

I found a crash log, but as far as I can see no reason for the crash is given, only some stats.

I guess there is something peculiar with my system.

Edited by dilore

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

Just to clarify, have you been able to install all of the sim content, or just the part that is downloaded and installed by Steam ( = the launcher) ?

If the sim crashes so fast, I would suspect an issue either with the video drivers (are yours old or more like latest version?), or something typical such as the C++ or VC runtimes or something like that.

23 hours ago, Daube said:

Just to clarify, have you been able to install all of the sim content, or just the part that is downloaded and installed by Steam ( = the launcher) ?

If the sim crashes so fast, I would suspect an issue either with the video drivers (are yours old or more like latest version?), or something typical such as the C++ or VC runtimes or something like that.

It has not come to any download by MSFS.
The video driver is up to date.

The Event Viewer points out ucrtbase.dll as the lib that crashes. 

I executed DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth sucessfully, no change.

I have P3D installed, and utilities like simconnect and FSUIPC, but I have not read that these should cause any conflicts. I have uninstalled simconnect, but that didn't help either.

Edited by dilore

2 hours ago, dilore said:

It has not come to any download by MSFS.
The video driver is up to date.

The Event Viewer points out ucrtbase.dll as the lib that crashes. 

I executed DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth sucessfully, no change.

I have P3D installed, and utilities like simconnect and FSUIPC, but I have not read that these should cause any conflicts. I have uninstalled simconnect, but that didn't help either.

See if this is of any use:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/flight-simulator-2020-crash-ucrtbasedll-exception/e8df9f05-21d4-492a-bc80-47abfd6d06a6

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Thanks a lot, this did the trick (so far, MSFS is downloading at least). I had English (United Kingdom) but not English (United States) installed.

That this stupid bug has not been fixed since 2020 is beyond me.

Edited by dilore
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dilore said:

Thanks a lot, this did the trick (so far, MSFS is downloading at least). I had English (United Kingdom) but not English (United States) installed.

That this stupid bug has not been fixed since 2020 is beyond me.

Thrilled!  

Go fly and enjoy!  And long live DuckDuckGo!

Mods? would you please mark this as solved?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere