Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Guernsey to build supercollider.

😁

https://gsy.bailiwickexpress.com/gsy/news/guernsey-super-collider-revolutionise-physics/#.ZCgTfKTTVPw

"Billionaire James Underpass has announced his plans to plough ÂŁ15 billion into constructing a world-class particle accelerator, dubbed the Guernsey Super Collider (GSC).

The GSC would dwarf the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Switzerland - currently the largest facility of its kind in the world – with a circumference of over 60 miles and more than 50m underground.

In an exclusive interview, Mr Underpass stated: "The Guernsey Super Collider will not only smash particles, but also misconceptions about the island being a hick backwater.

“Just you wait – those particles will be more smashed than the patrons of the Harbour Lights pub or the Development & Planning Authority’s credibility.”

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Quite how a huge LHC tunnel could fit on a 6 mile by 3 mile island, I don't know. 😆 

The reference to the pub was in regard to a violent incident a couple of months ago, big news when there's a punch up here.

You do realise that April Fool's jokes are technically only supposed to be delivered prior to 12 noon? :wink:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

You do realise that April Fool's jokes are technically only supposed to be delivered prior to 12 noon? :wink:

It was Chris. I didn't deliver it as true, I just reported it as a this mornings fool in the Bailiwick Express. 😀

Holstein and Jersey announce a joint protest commission.  Sing "We Shall Overcome". 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

7 hours ago, martin-w said:

Quite how a huge LHC tunnel could fit on a 6 mile by 3 mile island, I don't know. 😆 

The reference to the pub was in regard to a violent incident a couple of months ago, big news when there's a punch up here.

Well, only the control room and entrance need a small footprint on the Island itself. The circular tunnel could be placed deep enough to be completely underground and underwater! There, problem solved...Â Â đŸ€“

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

President Wotan de Guernsey appointed his brother in law Donner to build and then turn on the machine. The televised video suddenly terminated ?

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

11 hours ago, n4gix said:

Well, only the control room and entrance need a small footprint on the Island itself. The circular tunnel could be placed deep enough to be completely underground and underwater! There, problem solved...Â Â đŸ€“

I absolutely love your solution. I forsee a few problems though... the underground/undersea tunnel would be precariously close to the island of Jersey. I estimate only one mile away. I'm not sure how fond of the idea the Jersey authorites would be. đŸ€”Â 

The other issus is that thousands of scientists work at such facilites, and the proposed location for their housing and facilites is the very picturesque Lancrese Common, which currently includes a golf course. I think the golfers and nature lovers might be somewhat perturbed by the extensive facilites on the common. And to be honest, given that the road passes straight through the golf course fairway and the fun we have in our cars dodging golf balls, that may be a source of entertainment we may not want to give up.

And besides, those pesky scientists would steal our parking spaces. đŸ˜©

• Like 1