Sign in to follow this  
shamrockflyer

Performance Loss

I have noticed that my fps will drop by about 10 to 15fps after a certain amount of time spent flying. The only way to fix this is to turn off online services and turn it on again. I know that today is Cross The Pond, and that a lot of people will be online using MSFS, but this is an issue that needs to be researched more into so that the route cause of the performance loss can be eradicated.

I had the same issue right after the SU12 release and resolved it by turning off almost everything in the community folder…using add on linker. I was totally disappointed and have never had the need to troubleshoot the community folder before, but this time it did the trick. One of my old liveries or airports had to be the culprit. 

2 hours ago, NismoRR said:

I had the same issue right after the SU12 release and resolved it by turning off almost everything in the community folder…using add on linker. I was totally disappointed and have never had the need to troubleshoot the community folder before, but this time it did the trick. One of my old liveries or airports had to be the culprit. 

Did you have to reintroduce each mod to see which was the cause or did Addon Linker automatically find it?

It's photogrammetry, there's some sort of memory leak or whatever and it adds up on long flights with many photogrammetry cities (or maybe only specific ones?), has been like this since the beginning. Don't believe me? Next time you encounter this turn off->on photogrammetry ONLY and voila, FPS restored.

• Upvote 1

I've also noticed that the desktop window manager process will go nuts after I've been flying for awhile, and start using >90% of the GPU. Depending on who you talk to, this is either a Windows bug or an Nvidia bug, but when it happens my FPS drops through the floor.

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

It's photogrammetry, there's some sort of memory leak or whatever and it adds up on long flights with many photogrammetry cities (or maybe only specific ones?), has been like this since the beginning. Don't believe me? Next time you encounter this turn off->on photogrammetry ONLY and voila, FPS restored.

Last two flights, 2h each in FBW A320NX resulted in steady stutters during approach that I haven't seen for months.  Could be a recent update to the plane not sure but very nasty, and I have PG off.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I am definately starting to see some of these issues as well creeping in that I have never had before.

FS PC - AMD7900X3D / MSI RTX 4090 24gb / 32gb Ram / Varjo Aero / Bravo Quadrant / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Yoke / TPR Pedals

UK Skytours - http://www.ukskytours.co.uk

For me the performance drop during flights only stopped when I turned off all Traffic, including road traffic, ships, fauna, ground vehicles etc etc. Luckily this stuff doesn't bother me.

I would be interested to see if you saw an increase in manipulators on dev mode fps counter with this performance loss during flights.

59 minutes ago, abennett said:

For me the performance drop during flights only stopped when I turned off all Traffic, including road traffic, ships, fauna, ground vehicles etc etc. Luckily this stuff doesn't bother me.

I would be interested to see if you saw an increase in manipulators on dev mode fps counter with this performance loss during flights.

Yes I have noticed that traffic especially air traffic causes slow downs after a certain amount of time. Instead of FStraffic I think I will just use FSLTL as static traffic to populate airports.

16 hours ago, shamrockflyer said:

Did you have to reintroduce each mod to see which was the cause or did Addon Linker automatically find it?

I didn’t reintroduce any of the addons as they were all GA related,  mostly older liveries and smaller airports. I’m now flying the 737’s exclusively so no need to bring back the old addons at this time. Thus far, performance has remained good with no degradation over time. 

14 hours ago, abennett said:

For me the performance drop during flights only stopped when I turned off all Traffic, including road traffic, ships, fauna, ground vehicles etc etc. Luckily this stuff doesn't bother me

Are you sure that road traffic causes a loss of performance? I put it at 100% and I see no difference with 0%

1 hour ago, Axis3600 said:

Are you sure that road traffic causes a loss of performance? I put it at 100% and I see no difference with 0%

Yep, not at the start, like I will get very very similar performance with road traffic, boats fauna, etc. However over time, the performance just got worse and worse, and manipulators rising. Eg a European short haul, from similar airport to similar airport, would start with say 50fps and slowly decrease until about 20fps at arrival with huge stutters. Then I could load back in at the same airport I just landed, same gate, same time, same weather, etc and would be back up around 50. But I saw a post on the official forums saying they hadn’t had this since turning off those kind of traffic.  I did this, and suddenly never got the performance degradation. I have never used AI traffic or other aircraft traffic anyway. So all I changed was having cars and boats and fauna, ground vehicles etc on, to off and suddenly this performance degradation completely stopped.

Edited by abennett