Sign in to follow this  
Emile

FSX slow to load all of a sudden

VOX,Your are correct. I just did a test, timing from clicking on FSX desktop ICON, to siting on tarmac. This included loading Level-D 767, plus loading a flight plan. With MegaScenery S. Cal. DISABLED it took 4 minutes on my system. Same exact test, with MegScenery S. Cal ENABLED took 8 minutes 41 seconds! Now, this is starting at KSJC, well outside the S. Cal area. Quite a hit, for flying outside of the area! Thanks for pointing this out. I may decide to disable the scenery for flights I know will be outside the covered area.Jim

>I would like to try a complete re-install but the activation>limitation puts me off doing it to often (done it twice>already) any one done 3 or 4 times on the same the box.If you reinstall and cannot activate via the internet because you have used your activations, all you have to do is call the Microsoft support phone number that will be presented when activation fails, and activate FSX via your phone. I've done it multiple times and have never had a single issue with reactivating the product.

If the add-on scenery location is within 4.5 terrain tiles of the airport you select, then we do indeed load it.of all the reports of these loadings we have, only 1 so far is outside of that 4.5 tile 'zone'.so while we will fix that particular case, that isnt a general case as you state.

>Actually, I think I may have found my culprit... a single>SimObjects line-entry in the FSX.CFG that was added by>MyTrafficX when I installed it a couple of weeks ago. If I>remove it, then initial load times are back to normal.>>Vox

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Sorry Phil if I implied that it was a 'general case' occurrence, it was my understanding that it was. My experience of the problem is limited to using Horizon Sim's Gen-X scenery where loading a flight thousands of miles away from the UK (i.e. Tokyo) seems to still lead to the unnecessary loading of Gen-X photoscenery data. As far as I am aware, the same problem exists with Just Flight's VFR data but it has had a smaller impact as they do not yet supply all volumes of their UK coverage.Vox

Guest cwright

Phil, I'd like to confirm Vox's statement. I also use the excellent Horizon GenerationX scenery. The presence of this scenery slows loading times significantly even when loading a flight on the other side of the world (I usually use Japan as a test). When loading the first flight in Japan, Filemon shows that FSX is furiously accessing the Horizon (UK) scenery for several minutes. In fact the progress bar freezes at 6% for almost two minutes as FSX accesses the UK scenery. This makes no sense at all.I suspect the problem may be worse compared to older scenery because the textures are integrated into the bgl files, making the scenery files very large. When loading a Japan flight Filemon also shows that FSX is accessing many other unrelated scenery files. The photoscenery files have a bigger effect than these maybe because they are so large.I know you've been aware of this problem for some time (Adam Szofran was involved on this forum at the end of last year) and I was disappointed to see that SP1 did not address this issue. It will become ever more important as more high resolution photorealistic sceneries come on the market (I have the new Megascenery on order). We can only hope that loading times will be addressed in SP2.Best regards, Chris

Phil,In miles, about how far away is "4.5 terrain tiles". In my case I was starting at San Jose CA. yet, the longer load times?JIm

The highest QMID level of the Horizon scenery is indeed, at that QMID level, only 4.5 terrain tiles from Japan. Loading TMFViewer in the SDK and examining the Horizon scenery shows this.The case of NZ and UK was indeed out of the zone. That one is fixed.We have authored an SDK document that discusses this and the "blurries with Horizon style photoscenery" to let 3rd party developers understand the issue. And have done some work with terrain/texture IO to address it as well. But in the UK-JPN case the engine is operating as advertised in the SDK.

It depends on the highest QMID level in the scenery; there is no single answer. Load up the scenery in the TMFViewer in the SDK ( all Deluxe SKU owners can do this ) and count them off.

Phil, I know this has been covered before and you are probably blue in the face already from explaining it... but why is there a 4.5 tile setting? Can the engine not be tweaked to set this lower? And what affect would it have on Horizon's scenery if they authored it at a different QMID. They must have done it the way they did for a reason surely?Vox

I cannot answer questions about someone else's product as that is their purview; but in general authoring at a different QMID level would change the range of tiles within the 4.5 tile 'zone' at the cost of some detail.

Thanks Phil, and I appreciate that you can't speak on behalf of their product, that's fine. It would be a question of detail loss then, that's all I wanted to know really and thanks for taking the time to reply in this thread.Cheers,Vox

I would check to see if you have the xml.dll in the FSX config folder. I'm not sure if it is part of the default install or not, but it is easily corrupted by add-ons and I doubt part of any uninstall routine. You can download a free XML editor and check the code for warnings and errors. I had a similar problem and traced it to a corrupt xml.dll entry. It appears to be one sloppy opportunity to hose an FSX installation. Hope this helps.Bob..

Hi Bob,Thanks for your reply, I checked the FSX config folder. I have a file called dll.xml I assume this is the correct one. I searched for XML editors and got a slew of them. Can you recommend witch one to use? Also, lets assume the file is trashed. Can I simply copy from the FSX discs to this folder or is it not that simple? When I double clicked on this file it opened in notepad. From just looking at it, it looks the same as when I edited the Traffic Toolbox path some time ago. Would there be