Sign in to follow this  
Guest sssummer

Megascenery X - So Cal - First Impression!

Guest tmholopa

MANNY, nice shots, what your fps in so cal?

Guest tmholopa

is the autogen available over the whole scenery or just LA and SAN DIEGO.i have one problem, its the price of the scenery, 40$ for scenery +40$ for shipping to finland. so is the scenery worth it?

Just got mine yesterday, and as a resident of the area, nothing compares to having this product! I can't say enough how much I like it. I was shocked that my aging specs were able to run this well, actually I increased my FPS lock from 18 to 25 (GA craft) due to how well it was running.I did a quick flight from KVNY around to where I live in Ventura co and back, and was happy to see how much better this is to the default scenery. My only complaint, and it really isn't one, is that the scenery ends right in the middle of my town. Oh well, it has to end somewhere. I also noticed a lot more buildings over at KVNY with the higher autogen settings, and it looks much more like the real thing. Great buy.

Howdy,Does the scenery cover Edwards Air Force base?Thanks.

Megascnery would not take additional FPS. Lets put it that way.. whatever you are getting under your settings.. it would pretty much be that if not better.I can go from 23FPS to 45FPS if I set fps to unlimited and water to 1.low and no AI traffic.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest sssummer

>Howdy,>>Does the scenery cover Edwards Air Force base?>>Thanks.Judging by looking at this coverage area map http://www.megascenery.com/images/socalx/socalthumb.jpgI don't think so. Looks like it cuts off a lot of the northern LA county desert area, but it does extend far out in the desert in San Bernardino County towards Barstow. The coverage is 18,000 sq miles, covering a population of probably at least 15 million people, some of them even U.S. citizens!Brian S.

How long does it take to fly from one end of the scenery to the other with for instance a Cessna? 18,000 sq miles sounds nice, but if it only takes 8 minutes to fly above from one side to the other, it's not really worth the money. I also have to say I just can't get used to having shadows at the wrong side of buildings... And how are the transitions to the default FSX textures? If you can see those clearly from miles ahead, that also spoils the fun and shortens the actual flying time above this addon.I'm glad the screenshots are honest in this regards (usually publishers only show screenshots from the one and only right angle, while you don't always fly that way). And I don't like the look of the high buildings in the distance: they stand out way too much. I think I'd rather fly this kind of scenery without 3D-stuff...I also noticed some buildings on roads: is that a FSX-, UT-, or a Megascenery X mistake?

Guest sssummer

>How long does it take to fly from one end of the scenery to>the other with for instance a Cessna? 18,000 sq miles sounds>nice, but if it only takes 8 minutes to fly above from one>side to the other, it's not really worth the money. I also>have to say I just can't get used to having shadows at the>wrong side of buildings... And how are the transitions to the>default FSX textures? If you can see those clearly from miles>ahead, that also spoils the fun and shortens the actual flying>time above this addon.>I'm glad the screenshots are honest in this regards (usually>publishers only show screenshots from the one and only right>angle, while you don't always fly that way). And I don't like>the look of the high buildings in the distance: they stand out>way too much. I think I'd rather fly this kind of scenery>without 3D-stuff...>I also noticed some buildings on roads: is that a FSX-, UT-,>or a Megascenery X mistake?Well, despite how spectacular this scenery looks, I suppose you could nit pick it to death all day long if you wanted to. Doesn't sound like your too interested in flying over the real thing vs. default crappy , unrealistic and inaccurate scenery. This scenery not only looks a thousand times better than the default, the FPS performance and smoothness is better too. You are looking at 1M (1.19m) per pixel resolution, taken from aerial photography by AirPhoto USA. To answer some of your questions, the scenery is approximately 135nm X 135nm, about 190nm apart at its farthest point. I'll let you do the math, but you could fly for days and probably not see everything. Personally, shadows are not an issue for me. Aerosoft does its best does its best to blend in the boarders of the scenery, but there is not much you can do when the default textures are so unrealistic for the area vs the real thing. I have noticed a few buildings on the roads when I flew around last night, including one in the middle of the 210 freeway in Glendora :), those are inaccurately placed autogen. I also noticed the buildings at Disneyland were not aligned too well. Those mistakes in my brief time flying around are minor are few and far between for the little time I have had this product (only flown for about an hour). The main issue I saw was the autogen trees where too sparse in the Angeles and San Bernardino National Forests.In my opinion, this is an absolute must have scenery. You get autogen if you want it, or you can turn it off. The default custom buildings that ship with FSX are placed in the correct locations. You get charts plus diagrams of all the airports included. The crispness of the textures are fantastic. Generic vs. Megascenery? No contest, Megascenery all the way in my opinion. Brian S.