Sign in to follow this  
honanhal

AMD 7800X3D build thoughts?

Hi all,

My current computer is a 6700K from 2016 -- it's served me extremely well, but it's time for an upgrade! I've always built my own systems but in the 7 years since the last time I've decided I'm too old for that nonsense. 😀 Does this configuration seem reasonable from CyberPowerPC? (I'm especially wondering whether the 240mm water cooler is likely to be adequate cooling -- I've also never had a build with watercooling before, so I have no idea...) BTW, my sim is MSFS.

Appreciate any insights from the experts here!

James

CAS: CyberPowerPC KIRA II 241V Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel + 4X ARGB Fans Included (White Color)

CPU: AMD Ryzenâ„¢ 7 Processor 7800X3D 8-core/16-thread 4.2GHz [Turbo 5.0GHz] 104MB Cache AM5

CS_FAN: Default case fans

FAN: CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate (Intel)

HDD: 4TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/1100k [+373] (Single Drive)

MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory [+105] (Team T-Delta RGB)

MOTHERBOARD: Asrock B650M-C AM5 Micro ATX w/ Wi-Fi, 1GbT LAN, (4)PCIe x16, (3)M.2, (4)SATA CEC

POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards

VIDEO: GeForce RTXâ„¢ 4080 16GB GDDR6X Video Card (Ada Lovelace) [VR Ready] [+742] (Single Card)

• Like 1

Very nice build.

Make sure though that the memory is "AMD Expo" certified, as this will ensure optimal timings will be loaded, very important. Also, try to buy CL32 or lower memory. (I cannot deduct from your list what CAS this memory would be).

Regards

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Vlooi said:

Make sure though that the memory is "AMD Expo" certified, as this will ensure optimal timings will be loaded, very important. Also, try to buy CL32 or lower memory. (I cannot deduct from your list what CAS this memory would be).

Thanks! There's literally no way to tell from CyberPowerPC what the CAS is...I see from looking at the Team site that their T-Delta DDR5 6000 memory comes in CL38 and CL30. (Would CL38 be a disaster?) I don't see anything about AMD Expo certification on their site. (Again, is that a disaster?)

James

Looks great nice combo!

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

What is the price?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

42 minutes ago, pgde said:

What is the price?

About USD $3000.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, honanhal said:

4080 16GB GDDR6X Video Card (Ada Lovelace) [VR Ready]

VR ready - what is that supposed to mean? my old 1080Ti was VR ready 5 years ago. other than that, I think you have a nice selection of hardware except that I would not go for a water cooler, it's not required considering its low power requirement (54 watts in games, 74 watts in apps) of the 7800X3D, but adds unnecessary potential hassle. that's why you got the 7800x3D in the first place instead of an Intel 13900K steam machine.

spacer.png

CPU water cooling overkill at 54 watts:

spacer.png

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Just pulled the trigger! Thanks all.

Decided to stick with the 240 water cooler  as both adequate and something I wanted — I’ve never tried it and maybe now’s the time to start. If I hate it I’ll let you know you told me so, turbomax. 😀

James

• Like 1

Just building off of this post, I'm also looking to upgrade to this CPU and upgrade my GPU (coming from a Ryzen 5 3600 and 2070 Super).

Am wondering if the 7800x3d pairs well with the 7900XTX or even the 6800XT GPUs?

5 minutes ago, JFKLGAEWR said:

pairs well with the 7900XTX or even the 6800XT GPUs?

"pairs" with anything, but performance will be much better with any NVidia RTX 4000 series, the only ones that offer "FrameGeneration" which automatically doubles your framerate. honanhal upstairs chose a 4080 with 16 GB, that's a good choice unless you need the most expensive RTX 4090 with 24 GB Vram.

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

7 minutes ago, turbomax said:

"pairs" with anything, but performance will be much better with any NVidia RTX 4000 series, the only one that offers FrameGeneration which automatically doubles your framerate.

That's fair. Was looking at the AMDs given the higher VRAM ceiling and the so-so reception I've been reading about to the NVidia 4000 series.

1 hour ago, JFKLGAEWR said:

That's fair. Was looking at the AMDs given the higher VRAM ceiling and the so-so reception I've been reading about to the NVidia 4000 series.

Putting the AMD comparison aside for a moment....I thought the general consensus was that the nvidia 4000 series were quite a bit better than the nvidia 3000 series, a die shrink with cooler-running chip and perform much better, and of course Frame Generation is a HUGE plus for the 4000 series.

However on the bad side, the 4000 series are expensive, especially compared to the AMD offerings.  To get that 24G vram on the 4090 you pay a premium, whereas with some of the AMD cards you can get a decent amount of vram for much less.

For me Frame Gen is too important to miss if MSFS is the only consideration.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ ♣ Gigabyte 4090 ♣ Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

10 minutes ago, Mace said:

Putting the AMD comparison aside for a moment....I thought the general consensus was that the nvidia 4000 series were quite a bit better than the nvidia 3000 series, a die shrink with cooler-running chip and perform much better, and of course Frame Generation is a HUGE plus for the 4000 series.

However on the bad side, the 4000 series are expensive, especially compared to the AMD offerings.  To get that 24G vram on the 4090 you pay a premium, whereas with some of the AMD cards you can get a decent amount of vram for much less.

For me Frame Gen is too important to miss if MSFS is the only consideration.

Yeah, I think the majority of the negative feedback was on a price to performance upgrade ratio over the 3000s and then compared to the AMDs which as you say will give you much more VRAM for less.

I hear the Frame Gen point but definitely am considering price/value - I can afford some of the 4000s but if it's not a MASSIVE difference on the AMDs (especially coming from the specs I have now) then I'm not too pressed about it.

23 minutes ago, JFKLGAEWR said:

the 4000s but if it's not a MASSIVE difference on the AMDs (especially coming from the specs I have now) then I'm not too pressed about it.

100% fps increase through FrameGeneration and not too pressed about it? well if you say so ....

😊

Edited by turbomax

very nice.