Sign in to follow this  
Rene777

From dvd's to steam?

Hello,

Soon I will get my new pc which won't have an optical drive.

When msfs came out I bought the boxed DVD version.

Is it possible to get it via Steam this time whitout having to buy it again?

Thnx.

I know you can add a game to Steam. I.e. if you have a game that's available on Steam (which is practically every game ever made) and you have the box version of the game you can add that game to your Steam account using your Key Code for the game or something along those lines. I'm not sure if this is universally available on Steam but I'd be willing to guess that it is.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

I know you can add a game to Steam. I.e. if you have a game that's available on Steam (which is practically every game ever made) and you have the box version of the game you can add that game to your Steam account using your Key Code for the game or something along those lines. I'm not sure if this is universally available on Steam but I'd be willing to guess that it is.

That's only true where a Steam key is supplied as part of the purchase, as sometimes happens.  I have the MS version of the game and didn't get a Steam key for it; I'm not aware the DVD version provides it either.  Alas I have many old games on DVD/CD for which there's no included Steam key; I had to buy again if I wanted them there.

Edit:

If you're stuck, there are USB optical drives on the market.

Edited by JabbleWok
  • Like 2

Just now, FBW737 said:

I stand corrected!😁

One other option might be to make digital images (ISOs) of the discs before you get rid of the old PC (or borrow another one), <i>if</i> there's no copy protection and it's allowed in the license.  Many countries allow personal backups.  You can then mount those as logical DVDs to install on the new machine.

• Like 3

As a low tech solution, you can get a cheap USB dvd drive.  I've still got one for that once in a while you need to read something from physical media. 

• Like 1

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF