Sign in to follow this  
SimonC

Framerate Generation, VSYNC

Hello,

I just discovered framerate generation with my 4080, and virtually had my jaw dropped, going from some 35fps to over 80 (didn't A-B compare, but the situation on stand the same stand at EGLL (no addon), Fenix, cockpit, weather).

Anyhoo... while 80fps is GREAT, stuttery sim without VSYNC and frame limitation is worse than anything else.

I tried limiting with RTSS, but it's worse than bad. VSYNC in the sim doesn't work any more, no impact on the FPS.

Is there something recommended please?

With frame generation on, leave vsync off and set AA to TAA (Much sharper than DLSS). Limit your fps to your monitor refresh rate and you'll be good to go without any tearing.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

4 minutes ago, Keirtt said:

Limit your fps to your monitor refresh rate

Yesssssssssssss..........but how??

• Like 2

Coming from times of FSX and P3D, I was "taught" not to use nvidia CP limiter.

However, it seems to work well: frame rate limiter to 60fps and vsync ON.

Seems smooth enough to me...

Just another perspective and not to critisize.  My 5900x wirh a 3060TI can hit 80 fps all day BUT I stay away from large airports and don't use 3rd party AI.  Just sayin.

so

Were my hardware limited, that is definitely a way to go about enjoying the sim. However, I am little less limited, and I prefer complex addons, be that aircraft, scenery or utility. Thus the reason why I got myself a new computer recently.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Hello,

I just discovered framerate generation with my 4080, and virtually had my jaw dropped, going from some 35fps to over 80 (didn't A-B compare, but the situation on stand the same stand at EGLL (no addon), Fenix, cockpit, weather).

Anyhoo... while 80fps is GREAT, stuttery sim without VSYNC and frame limitation is worse than anything else.

I tried limiting with RTSS, but it's worse than bad. VSYNC in the sim doesn't work any more, no impact on the FPS.

Is there something recommended please?

Frame generation don't work well with external  frame limiters ( RTSS etc.). The only option that works is NVidia control panel frame limiter, which i guess you made allready. 

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

But one thing I must say after testing this. It doesn't feel really like 60 genuine fps. I am interested into making comparisons, so I will make some, but I feel like panning around is pretty much the same experience than 30fps, if I appropriately achieve smoothness through correct FPS limiting and vsync half refresh rate.

Vsync on in the ncp with frames capped at 60 (my monitors refresh rate) is incredibly smooth. Of course it stutters in some big cities when I can’t maintain that but before it would stutter all day. Other vsync options gave me bad screen tearing. 

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

7 hours ago, sfgiants13 said:

Vsync on in the ncp with frames capped at 60 (my monitors refresh rate) is incredibly smooth. Of course it stutters in some big cities when I can’t maintain that but before it would stutter all day. Other vsync options gave me bad screen tearing. 

Sorry for bothering,I'm pretty new about this,but how did you do that in the NCP?I mean Vsync and frame capping.

thanks

I thought I had read that it was not recommended to block FPS and in addition to using the Vysnc or at least the Vsync already blocked FPS.

Otherwise stesma54 you have to go to your NCP => manage 3D settings, you will have 2 tabs (global and program settings) you go to the 2nd one
You have a small list, you choose Microsoft flight simulator and there you will have at the bottom, maximum number of frames per second as well as the VSYNC.

• Like 1

Open your Nvidia control panel. From there open the "Manage 3d settings", that is on the left side tree. Manage 3d settings has two pages, global settings and program settings. I force the vsync on from the global settings. Then from the program settings select the MSFS from the drop down menu of installed applications. When you have selected MSFS, look for the "Max frame rate" setting and select appropriate number. I´m using 43 and I´m quite happy with that. Others can explain better as English is not my native language. But hope this helps a bit.

• Like 1

Tapani Österberg

I tried the combination of both (monitor at 60Hz):

FPS limiter 60fps: smooth but screen tearing.

FPS limiter + Vsync On: smooth.

Vsync On: no tearing, but also not smooth, frame generation is on, FPS are capped at 60fps. While panning, I notice short and quick stutters.

Going back to 30fps does feel smooth, but 30Hz smooth, as in you notice the lower framerate. And forcing 30Hz in NCP is painfully bad in the menus.

In short, FG is a good thing and needs to be combined with the NCP settings from above: FPS limiter and vsync on.

Edited by SimonC

10 hours ago, SimonC said:

Post removed because my question was already answer by Simon. I had just not read the thread far enough to see his answer

Edited by btacon

1 minute ago, btacon said:

Why without vsync?  I use FG and TSS and VSYNC. No issues?

Read on the thread. I don't believe you set vsync in the sim with DX12 und FG, because it doesn't work, at least not here.