Sign in to follow this  
Guest happ

Glideslope

Guest happ

I know a lot has been said about this and I`ll probably bore you all never the less here goes.I can most of the time capure the horisontal part of the ILS but I`m having problems with the glideslope is an automatic landing with the glideslope always available if the runway has ILS and if not how do you know also if it is available do you get onto it by pressing APP on the AP then if so when do you press or are there other things I should do, what I`d really like is a brief rundown of all the actions for a good approach using the AP if someone would be so kind.thanks eric

eric:good information on how the ILS/GS system works; and how one should use them in navigation -http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htmyes you need to spend some time reading ... but to do it correctly you must know how the systems work.when approaching ILS the steps change based on aircraft. please share which aircraft you are flying.basic for a jet -*based on chart of the airport rwy approach the airport at proper altitude (usually 2000'-2500' above rwy) and direction to capture ILS (this REALLY depends on the airport ... in general you need to approach the rwy heading at <30 degrees.*set ILS freq in NAV1 radio, set ILS heading (rwy heading usually) for CRS.*20nm from airport slow to 200 kts (sets flaps appropriate for this speed)*at 15nm slow to 180 kts (set flaps appropriate for this speed)*arm ILS by pressing APP*ILS beam comes active and aircraft will turn to follow beam*when GS comes active extend gear and slow to 160kts (set flaps appropriate for this speed)*when GS captured and aircraft descending extend flaps to full and set approach speed (Vapp) plus 5 knots + wind. Vapp is aircraft & weight specific. default 737 with <5000lbs fuel Vapp is ~130-ish knots.NOTES:*if you are going much faster than 170kts the aircraft will have difficulty capturing the GS.*you catch the GS 'under' the beam (the indicator comes down to the aircraft). you don't descend to the beam.--edit: typo--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

You can use the pop-up GPS to pull up every approach that is programmed into FSX. If the approach is "ILS" then it will have both lateral and vertical guidance. If you activate the approach in the GPS, you can either use "vetors to final" which will show you the direction of the final approach fix, and then the final approach segment to the runway and missed approach, or use "full approach w/ transition" which in many cases will include a course reversal. If using game ATC you can usually request either method from the ATC via the ATC menus.Especially if using default AC autopilot, I think it is best to be in "heading hold" roll mode and "altitude hold" pitch mode when intercepting the ILS. If you don't have a chart shoot for about 1500 - 2000 ft above the runway to intercept the GS. Have the ILS tuned on Nav1 and when you see the needles move arm the APP mode by pressing the button. Depending on the AC, you should see the approach mode activate separately for roll mode (LOC) and pitch mode (GS).Note that the ILS isn't guaranteed to allow for a full autoland using AP. You should be able to see the runway environment sufficiently at no less than 200 ft to manually align, flare and land, or go missed.scott s..

Guest happ

Thanks to all I`m sure I`ve got enough info to help me achieve some good landings,eric