Sign in to follow this  
denlow

Cannot load airports from X Plane 12

Folks I admit I am a complete word not allowed and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. First I am on a Windows 11 PC and have the latest version of Little NavMap. I had been using LNM with X Plane 11 without issue, but I just installed X Plane 12 from the 10 dvd set. When I load the scenery library in LNM it finds XP12 ok but when I load the library it only locates 4 airports!!! I have all of North America scenery loaded into X Plane 12. I have a screenshot but do not know how to share it in this forum. Can someone point me in the right direction? image.png

dale

Edited by denlow
added screenshot

Maybe it's a problem with access rights to directories under Windows 11?

It seems like your "Custom scenery" airports are visible ( 4 airports) but no access to default XP12 scenery database.
Try launch lnav with rights elevated to admin permissions and check whether it can see all airports, as I remember it should be "hidden" under directory "<xp12>/Resources/default data". I use only demo version of XP12 and no scenery here except demo area but I'd got all 37682 airports during loading scenery library to LNM.
Although I use Linux environment now, but when I worked under Windows some years ago there were problems with permissions that's why I suppose you've got a problem with access permissions under Windows now.

Regards,
Piotr

Edited by ppgas

Never give up ...  - here are details of the whip-round: https://zrzutka.pl/en/pewr2d  -> to help my younger son fights against Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (blood cancer).

As Piotr indicated it's most likely a permission problem. I agree on this.

XP12 seems to be installed in a bad location where you have no access rights as far as I can see. Not sure if you created the folder or if this is the standard Windows programs folder moved to another location. Even more than "D:\Program Files (x86)" is meant for 32-bit applications which X-Plane is not, it's a 64-bit application. I'd really put it into another folder except you created this manually.

I usually create a folder Programs in my home "C:\Users\USERNAME\Programs" and install XP and other programs there where I have full permissions.

You do not have to reinstall. Take ownership of "X-Plane 12" in "D:\Program Files (x86)\X-Plane 12". See the web how to do this. For example this: https://www.howtogeek.com/301768/how-to-take-ownership-of-files-and-folders-in-windows/ . Then you do not have to run LNM as admin.

Also run the X-Plane installer again and select "update" which might repair missing or modified files.

Alex

Thanks all for the input. My D drive is where all of my programs are installed (C: drive is strictly operating system) If it was a permission issue it would not work with X Plane 11 which is installed in the same location. When I switch to X Plane 11 in LNM scenery library it finds 37k+ airports.  Anything else I might try? Again thanks so much from a complete novice.

daleimage.png

image.png

1 hour ago, denlow said:

Anything else I might try? Again thanks so much from a complete novice.

Check if the permissions for X-Plane 11 and 12 are the same.
Also check if LNM is not running with the wrong permissions. Maybe reinstall LNM (settings are stored in another folder in Roaming). Try to run it temporarily (normally not needed) as admin.

If all fails load the scenery library for XP 12 and then send me the log: https://albar965.github.io/contact.html
Maybe I can find something in the log.

Alex

If I remember well, the directories under "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" are specially secured under Windows.
That's why  I used the same installation method like Alex - install all own programs under direcotory(ries) outside these both mentioned above.
I use \FSIM\... path but feel free whatever you choose will be better than standard Win  instalation path. 
Alex's path is also good, however I don't like install any software under own home directory. But both methods are equal from the point of the Operating System 🙂

Regards,
Piotr

Never give up ...  - here are details of the whip-round: https://zrzutka.pl/en/pewr2d  -> to help my younger son fights against Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (blood cancer).

Alex Thank you for your patience with this novice. I am going to send a compressed log file as you requested via email. If that is not the correct log, my apologies...please advise where I can find the log you need to help me figure out why LNM is only finding 4 airports in X Plane 12 scenery library when it works fine with X Plane 11.

On 4/9/2023 at 10:41 AM, albar965 said:

Check if the permissions for X-Plane 11 and 12 are the same.
Also check if LNM is not running with the wrong permissions. Maybe reinstall LNM (settings are stored in another folder in Roaming). Try to run it temporarily (normally not needed) as admin.

If all fails load the scenery library for XP 12 and then send me the log: https://albar965.github.io/contact.html
Maybe I can find something in the log.

Alex

I am so sorry, I have no idea how to check "permissions" as you suggest. Hopefully the log file will help figure out what is happening.

dale

On 4/9/2023 at 10:41 AM, albar965 said:

Thanks you for for the log file. Got it.

From the log:

[2023-04-10 15:10:41.881 DEBUG]: atools::fs::ResultFlags atools::fs::NavDatabase::compileDatabase() NavDatabaseOptions[flags QFlags(0x2|0x4|0x8|0x10|0x40|0x200|0x400|0x1000|0x2000), fileFiltersInc [], fileFiltersExcl [brx*, obx*, cvx*, dem*, wsx*], pathFiltersInc [], pathFiltersExcl [], airportIcaoFiltersInc [], airportIcaoFiltersExcl [], addonFiltersInc [], addonFiltersExcl [Scenery/*, fs-base/*, fs-base-nav/*, fs-base-genericairports/*], highPriorityFiltersInc [*/fsAerodata Files/*], dirExcludesGui [D:/Program Files (x86)/X-Plane 12/Global Scenery/*], fileExcludesGui [], dirAddonExcludesGui [], fileAddonExcludesGui [], navDbObjectTypeFiltersInc [], navDbObjectTypeFiltersExcl [VEHICLE, TAXIWAY_RUNWAY, APRON2, ]]

Looks like the folder "D:/Program Files (x86)/X-Plane 12/Global Scenery" is excluded in the options on page "Scenery Library Database". This is not normal and would explain LNM loading only the add-on airports. So, it is not a permission problem. No need to fix or reinstall anything. Remove the entry in the exclusion list in options and all airports should load.

Alex