Sign in to follow this  
jvile

Vectors to final

I am new at using 3rd party ATC and have used ProFlightEmulator and Radar Contact briefly.I build a flight plan in FSBuild with STARS and SIDs but ATC doesnt actually give me vectors to individual waypoints on approach and I end up too high at over the runway something which never happens with the stock ATC.For someone learning the ropes,is there a program that vectors you to each waypoint in your STAR if you request it?ThanksJay

Guest Paul Middleton

Hi JayI think you'll find that in real life, if you request to fly a SID/DP, STAR or IAP, then that's exactly what ATC expects you to do - fly it yourself. They assume you've got the relevant charts and can follow it exactly without any further instructions from them.

Thanks for thatIf I dont include STARS in the flight plan will 3rd party ATC give me realistic approaches or are there any prerequisites to the flight plan?Jay

If you have Radar Contact there are a number of tutorial scenarios which will teach you all you need to know about the different types of approaches and departures and wether you need to add waypoints or not. Not trying to be mean, just want to point you to good info instead of repeating it here. :)

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

I agree, RC I believe allows you to fly a departure if you put the first waypoint in the flightplan 30 miles from the departure airport then you fly your desired departure. I think you also have to set the no altitude restrictions in the controller options screen.As far as the approach I think you need to request an IAP and they'll let you fly the approach without vectors, not sure on that as I usually just let them vector me...I'm lazy.The best bet would be to read the RC manual, search the RC forum or even ask there....they are very helpful.Ian.

With RC and a basic IFR flight plan i.e FSX flight planner you usally get a vectored approach. Unless you choose an IAP approach where you definitly need approach plates and your on your own. Or you can cheat and activate the flight plan in gps and look at the gps screen to see where your going."Warning..Do not try this in a Level-D !!" :-hah

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

DaveoThanks!That was the information I needed.I've been using FSBuild with STARS so that's maybe why I was not being vectored?Jay

>I've been using FSBuild with STARS so that's maybe why I was>not being vectored?Repeating what has already been said and adding a little more, it doesn't matter which program you use to create your initial flight plan as that program is going to convert it to a FS flight plan anyway.The key here is you are not going to be vectored for an approach in FS if you select a STAR just as it is in real life. If you want a vectored approach then do not select a STAR when you create your flight plan.Todd

Thanks a lot!That's exactly the info I was looking for.I guess I'll leave the STARS out until I am better at interpreting and flying approaches from charts.Thanks guysJay

The original question was>>For someone learning the ropes,is there a >program that vectors you to each waypoint >in your STAR if you request it?>and the answer is, FSX/FP ATC.You can go buy different ATC programs and they all have nice features. However, I continue to see post that lead us to believe that FSX does not have the ability to fly DP/STAR's. Not only can the User Plane fly a STAR arrival but the AI Planes can also be programmed and vectored onto the STAR when they materialize (Spawn) within the 108 NM visual AI zone sector. In the library is a file called KATL_fsx_lite.zip. My Airports (same as FSX) insure that STAR's can be programmed into a FP and then ask ATC for the correct IAF Transition off the STAR to the correct IAF of the Active runway.If you have my KATL you will also notice that the outer 2 runways are not the only arrival runways into KATL but, AI/USER use all 5 runways (parallel) as per ATC for arrival based on size airplane. In one of my readmes I give a short tutorial on how to program the CANUK STAR arrival into KATL which starts 330 NM to the SE of KATL over Jacksonville, FL. Some of that Tutorial I will list hereThere is no longer a MACEY TWO STAR Arrival. It has been replaced by 2 different STAR's named FLCON and PECHY. Three new STAR's have also been added named CANUK, HONIE, and ERLIN. It is best that when at KATL open the GPS receiver and view the Transitions for each arrival runway. To make things much easier I have included a KATL_pfd.zip with all the new freeware STAR's, TRANSISTIONS, RNAV (gps overlay) approaches and the ILS approach charts for each runway.Here is a typical example of how to use the STAR's in a Flightplan for the arrival to a runway under the watchful eye of the default FSX ATC.1. You have departed KMIA (MIAMI) on a proper DP (filed in the FP) to the North and your route of flight (FSX default FP editor) is bringing you up the east coast of Florida to the CRG VOR. 2. When you created the FP it showed you a map view which at this point you use the mouse to drag and snap the FP line to the correct VOR WAYPOINTS that make up the ARRIVAL STAR. 3. The STAR needed is the CANUK and you need to snap the FP starting at the CRG VOR which is over Jacksonville, FL 330 NM away from KATL.4. Continue to drag and snap the FP line by way of all the VORs and WAYPOINTS listed on the CANUK arrival. Do this all the way up to the CANUK WAYPOINT.5. When you get within 70 miles of KATL, ATC is going to assign a runway vectors to ILS final for the size airplane you are flying (smaller Jets goto RWY 10/28, larger Jets to 9R/27L as per ATC). Decline the vectors to final and select from the ATC menu a proper RNAV Transition. So if the winds are from the East ask for the CANUK Transition to either runway 10 or 9L/9R (your choice)6. If the winds are from the West select the CANUK Transition for Runway 28 or 27L/27R. Observe airspeed and altitude restriction (per the STAR) to ensure you can make a proper Transition approach to the active runway. 7. This will Transition off the CANUK STAR and onto the proper transition for the runway you choose. Open the GPS receiver and follow the lines or "LOAD" "ACTIVATE" the Transition and let the GPS receiver fly the Transition for you. 8. Each different Transition will lead you to a IAF for the active runway so you can tune the ILS freq and fly the ILS approach chart.Each STAR, Transition to a runway IAF and the use of the proper ILS chart all work the same way based on your arrival direction. Take NOTE of what STAR's are for what runways in the note column.The default ATC will continue to call traffic as you descend on the IAF of the correct Transition and execute the IAF to the RWY. This is the real world approach system in use at KATL and many other airports in the default FSX approach database. These approaches can be very challenging when AI are also arriving and FS9/FSX is only limited to the User's knowledge. When you think something does not work and FS is limited based on what others tells us it is probably just the opposite.