Sign in to follow this  
Tech

Bell 206 Start/Shutdown sequence

There was a thread back in 2003 that related to the Bell 206 start sequence not correctly performing as the real aircraft. The answer then was that the engine will start whenever the 'mixture' is not at idle cutoff. This did not simulate the real B206. Also, the shutdown was the same with the engine speed (N2) and rotor speed (Nr) still running at flight idle with the throttle in the idle cutoff position.

I am running a circa 2011 Flyit version of the B206 with a hardware replica of the collective and instrument panel. No mixture control naturally with the turbine but a fuel valve as per the real B206. If the fuel valve is turned on, the engine N2 and Nr will start without pressing the start button and the throttle at cutoff. When the start button is pressed and held, the N1 (Gas Producer) accelerates to peak at 20% and even with the throttle opened to the flight idle detent, the engine will not run until the fuel valve is then turned on.

The correct start sequence should be;

Throttle at idle cutoff, fuel valve on, fuel pumps on, press and hold start button and at 15% N1 open the throttle to the flight idle detent. At this point the engine ignites and accelerates to where the starter is released at 58% N1. Then engine now being at self sustaining speed will increase to a N1 flight idle speed of around 61-63%.

The correct shutdown procedure should be;

Throttle reduced to the flight idle detent, to shut the engine down the detent button is pressed and the throttle rolled off to the cutoff position where both the N1 and N2 (and to a slower extent the Nr) slowly return to zero.

The fuel valve in the real aircraft plays no part in controlling the start except that it opens the fuel supply to the engine's fuel control unit (FCU) which will then meter the fuel to the engine by the throttle during starting and shutdown, and by the power turbine governor (PTG) during engine running.

As this is now 2023, is there a Bell 206 aircraft.cfg or .air that more accurately mimics the correct start/shutdown sequences?

Thanks

Geoff

Edited by Tech
Grammer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185633197376

I regret I cannot answer your question Geoff,  However >>

I got the 206 from the source at the above link. And love it ~:)

I have not regretted it.  Been flying it for several months and

the only issue I've had is hearing the engine / rotor sound in

external view.  As far as I know, the item is still available.

The package includes very nice checklist cards and

an extremely good manual / users guide in PDF format.

Would be nice if the Dodosim folks hadn't deserted the

FS community.

Regards,

Ken

Ken Boardman