Sign in to follow this  
F737MAX

Captain Sim is in a galaxy far, far away...

22 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

IIRC Disney has an email address for submitting reports of IP infringement and I suspect it will have received a number of reports about this from simmers who aren't Captain Sim's greatest fans.

I know for a fact there was at least one 😉

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

1 hour ago, Peter Webber said:

What do you mean by "flight model"? There is no atmosphere!

What most people don't realize is that many scenes were shot on Earth (we just pretended it was on a different planet), not only in space, so I'm also familiar with flying under atmospheric conditions.

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

10 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

I know for a fact there was at least one 😉

Good for them. CS deserves just about anything thrown at them. It's a zombie of a company, I've heard rumors about it being a Russian-Ukrainian joint team dispute, but about 4 years ago they clearly lost anyone doing systems programming, interior animations, and the like. The 737CL for P3D was a barely functional addon that felt like something that was half done and pushed out. Their next releases were all the BS MSFS releases.

They're squatting on a lot of attractive aircraft by releasing them on the marketplace to the unsuspecting, newer flight simmers, especially the XBox people. It's just a disservice. They don't deserve that.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ndts said:

Disney is famous for being spectacularly litigious towards anyone/anything that even looks like it might infringe on their copyrights, they've basically written US copyright law for quite a while, and they've spent decades running their own government in Florida, so that surprising part is that it took them that long to act.

Which is quite ironic considering most of the intellectual property they used to build their fortune wasn't made by them, and they were only able to use it because copyright laws that they helped draft didn't exist yet.

There's a reason all the golden-era movies were Snow White, Cinderella and all the other Grimm Bros stories (which is also amusing because the Grimms stole 'em too).

LOL....So I asked about it over in their General Forum with the title "What happened to the Tie Fighter®? ...noting that I saw it on the eCommerce page and they also created a "Support" page for it and now they were both gone...

You guessed  it...they nuked my post before any replies came in!
I guess they are a little touchy about the subject and thought the ® I tacked onto "Tie Fighter" was a bit sarcastic.🤣

I wonder if Disney forced them refund the few sad soles that may have bought it and if they deactivated the licenses?  Hope anyone here who actually bought it chimes in and lets us know what happened to their CS Tie Fighter® software. 

Anyone with an account over there should see how long their post lasts if they inquire about the Tie Fighter®...  I'm sure they're in full nuke mode with anything related to it....just like when they hyped the P3d 767 freighter for months, then cancelled it, or when they tried to force flightsim.to to remove all the P3D 767 liveries, or when they bugged the MSFS 767 model so freeware painter's liveries had ugly model issues (so you'd be forced to buy their liveries), or when they removed the P3d 767 paintkit because they saw freeware painters painting the MSFS version anyway....you get the idea...a long history of deceitful moves by them.  They spend more time clearing angry posts these days than they do creating products. 😂

I hope they get the full Mickey treatment from Disney's lawyers and Disney also sues to recover any Tie Fighter® sales (there couldn't have been too many), plus levies fines for copyright infringement...if we're lucky it'll put them out of business and out of our community for good. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I noted your post on the CS forum, Steve. I was just hoping to see some juicy responses before your post was hit by a proton torpedo :laugh:

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, eslader said:

Which is quite ironic considering most of the intellectual property they used to build their fortune wasn't made by them, and they were only able to use it because copyright laws that they helped draft didn't exist yet.

There's a reason all the golden-era movies were Snow White, Cinderella and all the other Grimm Bros stories (which is also amusing because the Grimms stole 'em too).

To be fair, that's rather par for the course as far as our culture goes. We take stuff from others, claim it our own, and destroy anyone who dare try and take it back.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Dooooouble post

Edited by WestAir

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

47 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

I hope they get the full Mickey treatment from Disney's lawyers and Disney also sues to recover any Tie Fighter® sales (there couldn't have been too many), plus levies fines for copyright infringement...if we're lucky it'll put them out of business and out of our community for good. 

I can almost guarantee they got a cease and desist and it ended there. Disney doesn't chase after small cases like this. Now if CS kept selling? They would go full court summons on them. But even then, that's usually months after the person infringing ignores the c&d.

I have absolutely no idea at all why Captain Sim thought they could remotely get away with this. If it were free? Maybe. Paid? No way.

Where is the CS home base? Is this a 1 or 2 person team or a whole bunch of players? I know zip about this developer and have never purchased from CS. I only know to stay away!

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I noted your post on the CS forum, Steve. I was just hoping to see some juicy responses before your post was hit by a proton torpedo :laugh:

LOL...I screenshot most of my posts as they tend to vanish like a Jedi Knight's body when they die. 🤣

For this one...I only got the forum overview screenshot, because before I could go back into the forum and look at the post, it vanished.

FMCXJX.png

Vanishing posts are very popular at CS...I highly suggest anytime you post something that you suspect CS won't like, you screenshot it. 😉   

1 hour ago, trainplane3 said:

I can almost guarantee they got a cease and desist and it ended there. Disney doesn't chase after small cases like this. Now if CS kept selling? They would go full court summons on them. But even then, that's usually months after the person infringing ignores the c&d.

I have absolutely no idea at all why Captain Sim thought they could remotely get away with this. If it were free? Maybe. Paid? No way

Yeah, sadly agree that the C&D was all that was needed to end this little copyright infringement.  I find it hilarious that they thought Disney would not catch wind of it...and to almost confirm how arrogant they are, they put it up for sale anyway, probably made a few hundred bucks before the C&D, and called it a day.  I just hope Disney also made them refund the simmers who bought it.

Based on how fast my post vanished, I think Disney may have them on the 5nm radar setting for a while, and they will nuke anything that relates to the Tie Fighter®.  I'm thinking of poking a little more fun with them and post something like: "Hey CS, I've heard the Star Trek franchise is not as protective of their property as that other space movie company...maybe you should see how many NCC-1701's you can sell before they get wise to you?🤣 

That post may get me banned, LOL

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

8 hours ago, avhpilot said:

What most people don't realize is that many scenes were shot on Earth (we just pretended it was on a different planet), not only in space, so I'm also familiar with flying under atmospheric conditions.

Great, you almost had me fooled.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

3 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

Vanishing posts are very popular at CS...I highly suggest anytime you post something that you suspect CS won't like, you screenshot it. 😉   

Yeah, sadly agree that the C&D was all that was needed to end this little copyright infringement.  I find it hilarious that they thought Disney would not catch wind of it...and to almost confirm how arrogant they are, they put it up for sale anyway, probably made a few hundred bucks before the C&D, and called it a day.  I just hope Disney also made them refund the simmers who bought it.

Based on how fast my post vanished, I think Disney may have them on the 5nm radar setting for a while, and they will nuke anything that relates to the Tie Fighter®.  I'm thinking of poking a little more fun with them and post something like: "Hey CS, I've heard the Star Trek franchise is not as protective of their property as that other space movie company...maybe you should see how many NCC-1701's you can sell before they get wise to you?🤣 

That post may get me banned, LOL

While a bit off topic for flight sim but on topic for Disney legal. There was a couple selling Mickey ears like you'd find in the Disney parks. Typically fan created merch is fine but they were using the Disney branding and character names as well as selling them to guests inside the parks. They got c&d'd after almost a year since they got much larger. They ignored the c&d and kept selling. Got sent another one and ignored it. Got sent a full on lawsuit. They still kept selling. One day while the man was in the park, he was pulled to the side by security, and was trespassed from all Disney parks property in the US. His wife got the same letter the next day. The couple still think they're right somehow but everyone else knows the mouse will win.

Point is, Disney legal is something you do not mess with. No matter how much you may dance around the property, once you start marking money off of it you need to dissociate all Disney branding and be as annoyingly obvious you are not selling real Disney licensed IP. The second I saw it simply called "TIE Fighter" and they were charging for it, I knew it was over. I almost bought it to have something I knew would have been available for only one day.

This would've been a fun prank if it were free but the idiots tried to profit.

I doubt refunds occurred unless the users that bought it will lose access to it. Disney wants it gone and doesn't care what CS has to do to make it right for the users that bought it, as mean as it sounds.

A Tie Fighter waiting to strike

--------------------------

Several well trained, and waiting....

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I'm a bit 'on the fence' about this now, as I'm not sure who I loathe more - Captain Sim or Disney.

• Like 2

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org