Sign in to follow this  

first Direct X 10 screenshots!!!

Sounds like you guys are getting close - only down to tuning. Hope that won't take long :-)

Guest MauiHawk

If that's the case, maybe you could turn was was to be the next post into a two-parter? First part, just list the features; Second part, screenshots. Personally, I don't care so much about the screenshots at this point as simply knowing what made the cut.(regardless, thanks for the update)

Yeah Phil, I didn't mean to bust your chops because I know that the fault is not with you guys. You guys do a HUGE service to us aviation buffs. Thanks to your software I have learned so much about flight and aviation in general. I just hate being abused by companies that promise the world and then don't deliver. Hopefully you know where I'm coming from. I very anxiously await screenies.As an aside, I am beta testing crysis and man that game is amazing. The dx10 effects are just out of this world. Bioshock is also beautiful although I dont see all that much difference with it when running in dx9 or dx10. I assume the level of effects for many games that support both dx9 and dx10 varies quite a bit. Crysis is revolutionary for sure.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Guest MauiHawk

I'm sure he'll just love that I'm attempting this... but maybe if we continue to annoy him with this stuff it'll spur him to make the blog post sooner (I do it out of love, Phil, I promise ;) ). Anyway, maybe this will help pass the time.I've noticed that talk of some features seem to spur a quick response from Phil which seems to hint at it not being included, while he seems to let others pass without comment. So working off the theory that he is managing expectations for features that won't make it, here's my updated guesses:Alpha fade:No (from this thread)Cloud Shadows:No (He's made innumerable hints at this not being included)Water waves:No. At least, nothing like the magic screenies. Phil has been as clear about this one as with cloud shadows.Autogen Instancing:Yes. I think this is kind of a given even though I have not explicity seen it come up.God's rays:Yes. (I've not seen him jump on God's rays, and when they were mentioned in the same breath as cloud shadows, he jumped on the shadows but not the rays).Bloom improvements:Yes. I think this may relate somewhat to God's rays. If nothing else, I think instancing will mean less of a performance hit (both to bloom and to the higher water levels)Fog/haze layer:No. I would love to see this, but I haven't seen the issue raised enough-- so I'm guessing ACES didn't consider this a prioritySnow javelins:No. I think if this was going to be addressed, it would have happened in SP1. VC shadows:Yes. It seems to me he basically just voluntered that they are in above.DX calls from secondary calls:Yes. Though he seemed to be managing expectations for performance and multicore usage recently, I've tried to bait him with this one on probably 1/2 dozen seperate occasions and he has not once taken it. Coupled with the (admitedly sketchy) beta tester leak of higher fps that started this thread, I'm going to use my high hopes for this one to justify a tie-breaker in favor of it being included.Blurries:Yes. (At least one related fix, even though if it fails to cure all blurry complaints... which honestly will never go away entirely no matter what ACES does)Wind shifts:HiFi has said they are leaning on ACES on this one... I'm betting they are influential enough to have gotten some action.

>Fog/haze layer:>No. I would love to see this, but I haven't seen the issue>raised enough-- so I'm guessing ACES didn't consider this a>priority>I thought I saw something about horizontal visibility changes (ie you could see fog in the distance)

Well done MauiHawk, I love this post. You made very good and observant predictions. I too think this is about what we will get.

Guest unitedpilot36

I just want some HDR lighting really, that would vastly improve the experience. A solution to blurries would be great also.

Guest Thad

Cloud Shadows:No (He's made innumerable hints at this not being included)>>> According the FSX Beta screenshots cloud shadows were a contender but later hit the cutting room floor. I was hoping DX10 would resurrect that feature but as Phil hinted to above that may not be the case. The reason could be Train Sim 2, which is based on the FSX engine, after all how much value would there be in cloud shadows for a train sim. VC shadows for train cabs on the other hand...-------------------------God's rays:Yes. (I've not seen him jump on God's rays, and when they were mentioned in the same breath as cloud shadows, he jumped on the shadows but not the rays).>>> This was certainly on their feature short list according to Phil in a DX10 Game Development webcast early this year. Whether it too hit the cutting room floor is anyone

My prediction is that Phil will *personally* turn the cockpit rain effect back on in the Sim because it should never have been switched off :)Vox

Heh, this is like betting on sports.It sure is fun to talk about it, but I couldn't begin to guess what's in or out. :)I think we will know very, very soon, and then we can see how many you got right.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

here are the shadows in this train simulator 2 video:

Good bet it will be in the sim.

Guest etheberge

Ha Ha, great detective work.-Erik T.

Guest MauiHawk

Thanks for the extra insight.I do disagree about cloud shadows not being important for the train sim. I think it would do a lot to add sense of immersion. When you are outside on a partly cloudy day, you certainly notice when they sun peaks in and out of clouds... rumbling along at 50mph, this could also help add a sense of motion as you crossed the Great Plains.

Guest MauiHawk

>I thought I saw something about horizontal visibility changes> (ie you could see fog in the distance)Well, here's hoping you are right about this... I would love to be wrong on this one.

That is a cool effect. I will settle for that and God rays ;)Now if I could get those dodosim guys to finally support fsx and release the fsx version of the dodo bell 206. I've never seen a company drag their heels more than those guys. It's very frustrating.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup