Sign in to follow this  
bbuckley

Win11 Gaming Services ???

I tried “upgrading” to Win11 and everything went great until I tried to start MSFS and got the Gaming Services not running issue. I searched and tried every fix anyone else offered up but no luck. I’ve now reverted back to Win10 and have everything back in working order but does anyone have a solution for this? My MSFS is from the Microsoft Store and it uses the Xbox app. I’d like to go to Win11 since my Flightsim pc is on Win10 and my laptop is on Win11 and I use a lot of other apps on both. 

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

I googled this, so I can't verify if it works but it looks correct.

Reinstall the Gaming Services app on your Windows 10/11 device:

1. Select the Search icon on the taskbar, type powershell, right-click on Windows PowerShell, and then select Run as administrator.

2. In Windows PowerShell, type the following command and press Enter:

get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers

3. In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:

start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN

4. Install the app on that page and select Yes when you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.

5. Restart your device and try to install the game again.

Edited by s0cks

Yep that was one I tried but when the 2nd cmd takes me to the store and I try to install the gaming services it always fails with a msg of “something went wrong on our end”… it’s a never ending do loop. Thanks for trying to help though! Appreciate it. 

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

is xbox installed?

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

@bbuckley

I have the same problem.

Windows 11 works with this problem.

When i go in the Windows 11 App Store and will  Update the Apps  i get the  "something went wrong on our end”… it’s a never ending do loop"

All apps that will be updatet have the same problem like the Gaming service.

MSFS ist not working without the gaming service. 

The other parts of W11 working perfekt.

I go back with acronis to my Windows 10

Frank

WIN 11 64 Pro, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, I7 13700K, be-quiet Loop Silent 2 WK, RTX 3090 OC, 32 GB DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast EXPO, 4x Nvme Samsung PRO, MS2020, be quiet SP11 850 Watt

I have had this itching problem a bunch of times in my FS20 Store version history, installed in a different folder/Drive than C:, the last, some weeks ago upgrading the CPU and then some problems, and then reinstalling OS, BIOS, firmwares etc., and always I have solved it of course, I could wait nothing less of me, and there are some solutions in crescendo:

Make a full copy just in case with Easeus TODO, Acronis or whatever Image Backup you want or have, and/or maintain your already former OS/Drives backups, make a backup of your backups if you want haha. I am not responsible of your actions 🙂

1. Try in installed W11 apps options/settings, in MSFS icon, suspense dots /advance, press the buttons Terminate then Repair. Check if MSFS start.
  2. Go to W11 options System/storage/advance storage settings/where new content is saved/new apps will save to: and select where your MSFS drive is installed or was installed in your old Windows OS, press apply, try uninstall then install MSFS again and when in splash screen and MSFS installer indicating you where the new installation is gonna be saved/downloaded, press in that line and select your MSFS old folder (where Official and Community folders are installed) installation, if already is in your MSFS drive, select other drive, apply, and then select the drive again where is MSFS installed or where you want to install it.
  3. Install a new copy of W11 in a new partition/disk without deleting your actual installation/partitions of your actual Windows OS, and when it is installed, do the above point in that new fresh W11 installation "Go to W11 options System/storage/advance storage settings/where new content is saved/new apps will save to: and select where MSFS drive is installed in the other W11, press apply", then go again to you actual or desired W11 installation, and try uninstall then install MSFS again and when in splash screen and indicating you where the new installation is gonna be saved/downloaded, press in that line and select your MSFS old folder installation.
  4. Try the above though deleting before the folders that W11 create in those disk when selecting to save the new apps together with the XboxGames folder in that disk/partition, with IObit Unlocker.
  5. After all is working you can change the drive again where the new W11 apps would be installed if you want, and you can delete the new W11 OS partitions, and the folders created by Windows for new apps in the Drives, when you was selecting the different Drives where the new apps were going to be saved, with IObit some of the folders because are blocked and protected of deleting.
  6. Search tutorials and built your own home-made explosive, insert inside your PC, detonate.
  7. Buy a new PC, if this doesn´t work return to point 6.

Maybe trying formatting the Drive different of (C:) where MSFS is installed and then restore with the backup the folders you want in that Drive could work too, I never did that.

I have tried too signing out, reboot, and in again in MS Store and the same with the Xbox App, even uninstalling/reinstalling the Xbox App or all related to it, but never that worked, though maybe helped, only God know it.

Edited by peloto

10 hours ago, christb said:

is xbox installed?

yes but even that wasn't straightforward. I finally got it installed and tried installing MSFS from there but got the same gaming services issue.

I'll try some suggestions above after I digest it all. Thanks.

Maybe not 6 & 7 above yet...

Edited by bbuckley
  • Upvote 1

You've spent some time on this already perhaps it's time format and install Win 11 fresh.  You know what's ahead w/ this approach but may untangle some issues and overall end up better off.  I did this in Dec '22 and have had the best results ever--but that was from some new approaches to optimizing MSFS more than the clean install but spring cleaning sometimes is worth the effort, which really wasn't bad afterall.  Reinstalling MSFS is a PoC ultimately though takes some hours, but unattended hours at it were.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

There's a lot of users having the same issue. It seems to be a Microsoft Store issue. I can open the Xbox app and it immediately comes up with a dialog to download and install the Gaming Services app but it just sits there saying it's downloading and installing, but it isn't. Users have finally fixed it through some combination of updating windows, rebooting, signing out then in to the store, magic and witchcraft, but none of that worked for me. It's not worth the nuclear option of starting from scratch. Going to stay with Win10. On the bright side, the Go Back feature worked great.

38 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

Going to stay with Win10

Me too, until my next build, circa summer 2025.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Just to close this out: I kept at it after all and finally got everything working. The key was that the windows 11 upgrade files had some corruption. I had done an sfc /scannow from an admin cmd prompt but since that checks files against cached files they both were corrupt and matched. The critical step I missed before was first restoring the image. So here's the complete procedure:

Windows 11 Windows 10

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that checks for problems with files on your computer. To run it, follow these steps:

1. Make sure you've installed the latest updates for Windows, and then restart your machine. To find out more, read Update Windows.

2. In the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt, and right-click or press and hold Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the list of results. Select Run as administrator, and then selectYes.

3. Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the space before each "/"), and then press Enter. (Note: This step may take a few minutes to start and complete.)

4. After you see a message that says "The operation completed successfully," type sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/") and press Enter.

5. After you see a message that says, "Verification 100% complete," type exit and press Enter.

Finally i had to go to Installed Apps and select Gaming Services and go to Advanced Options Repair.  After that all was good.

• Upvote 1