Can we just assume that when someone says "That thing is not needed whatsoever" it means "I, personally, have no need of that thing for my personal needs." Because then there's really not much to argue about...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

And you base this opinion of yours on what kind of facts?

It’s simple. Games run without GFE. All of them. 

The better question to ask is what does GFE add to the gaming experience?  Driver updates?  Nah, can do that myself. Profiles?  Nah, I can adjust my own game settings. 

• Like 1

I imagine there are quite a few of us who make great use of the GFE overlays to improve the appearance of MSFS. For me, it’s nearly essential. 
Rich

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, rlashier said:

I imagine there are quite a few of us who make great use of the GFE overlays to improve the appearance of MSFS. For me, it’s nearly essential. 
Rich

That is true. I'd love to use GFE for its filters but unfortunately MSFS starts crashing for whatever reason as soon as GFE is installed.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Currently running the 528.24 driver.  I tried the 531.41 driver and got the 'gcard overheating' punt from MSFS, running DX12.  I'm passing with this latest driver and will stick with 528.24 until further notice since it's never caused this problem and its performance for my needs (exclusively VR) seems fine. 

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

12 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

It’s simple. Games run without GFE. All of them. 

The better question to ask is what does GFE add to the gaming experience?  Driver updates?  Nah, can do that myself. Profiles?  Nah, I can adjust my own game settings. 

I mean, why do I need a washing machine. I can just wash my clothes in the sink. 

I find Geforce Experience to be a very useful tool:

1) Easy notification when a new driver is available. 
2) Easy one-click install of new drivers
3) Optimize your in-game graphics settings with one click
4) Easy undo of optimization
5) Overlay with lots of useful info about your graphics card's performance. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I mean, why do I need a washing machine. I can just wash my clothes in the sink. 

I find Geforce Experience to be a very useful tool:

1) Easy notification when a new driver is available. 
2) Easy one-click install of new drivers
3) Optimize your in-game graphics settings with one click
4) Easy undo of optimization
5) Overlay with lots of useful info about your graphics card's performance. 

The Geforce Experience has been causing CTD when the filters are applied, it has been acknowledged by Nvidia

https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/531.68/531.68-win11-win10-release-notes.pdf

page 13

Edited by ttbq1
  • Like 4

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

13 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

The better question to ask is what does GFE add to the gaming experience?

As far as I know, it's the only screen capture tool, that capture the whole MSFS screen WITHOUT the window borders when MSFS is on windowed mode. It's also my video capture tool and one click driver update if needed. Plain simple. I have no issue with it regarding MSFS.

Edited by vbazillio

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

I would like to chip in on the debate with some middle ground hopefully. 
Geforce Experience is good for video capture and for the easy use screen filters, but it is buggy, has caused a few issues with MSFS, and it does come with a lot of baggage.

As for the optimisation thing, is not very good.  I tried it once and it completely messed up my settings / appearance / performance. 
You are better off adjusting them yourself to your liking after a bit of research, as it seems like Nvidia took about 10 seconds deciding on their settings, plus how do they know what you want?  Some prefer looks over frame rate, while others are the other way around.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

If you want to save your filters so you can reload them after a large MSFS SU or N.V. driver update :

https://www.reddit.com/r/GeForceExperience/comments/sjt2i0/geforce_gamefilter_save_location/

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

46 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

I would like to chip in on the debate with some middle ground hopefully. 

Been using GFE mostly for snapping screenshots and Shadowplay. Tried the filters too  . Never had any problem.

Optimization ? I don't do any or rather I gave up this tortuous no-end process which spoiled the fun in its predecessors. MSFS is well optimized enough for me, thank  you very much.

Now I have a question. Am I some kind of reactionary (I think I am) but I do not understand this perpetual quest for the last driver 😁 ?  I have one, it works, why risking trouble for a gain which by experience always minuscule or most often non-existent (except for the placebo effect) ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Now I have a question. Am I some kind of reactionary (I think I am) but I do not understand this perpetual quest for the last driver 😁 ?  I have one, it works, why risking trouble for a gain which by experience always minuscule or most often non-existent (except for the placebo effect) ?

I wouldn't class you as a reactionary Dominique, or if you are you are a very considerate one! :laugh:

I think you are quite right.  Reasons to update for me are, a critical security issue, a new feature worth having, or fixing specific issues with titles I own, such as MSFS etc.
Other than that, no reason to keep messing.  Sometimes my graphics settings go all out of shape after a driver update, so not worth it for me unless I need to.

Edited by bobcat999

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

It's been about 7 years since my last driver install...  I'm a little confused based on what I'm reading here and I can't tell if all drivers have the OPTION to install GFE when loading the new driver or if the new driver forces comes with GFE (with not option to install GFE).  I'm a purist when it comes to drivers and only want the bare minimum of driver interaction with the hardware.  Sometimes less is more.  I don't like CTDs, etc...

37 minutes ago, Cavemanhead said:

It's been about 7 years since my last driver install...  I'm a little confused based on what I'm reading here and I can't tell if all drivers have the OPTION to install GFE when loading the new driver or if the new driver forces comes with GFE (with not option to install GFE).  I'm a purist when it comes to drivers and only want the bare minimum of driver interaction with the hardware.  Sometimes less is more.  I don't like CTDs, etc...

You still have the option.  I just pick 'custom' install' at the start to get various options to show, as it keeps offering me Nvidia audio as well, which I don't use, so I untick that box also.

As well as GeForce Experience, I think the other option is 'PhysicsX', which not a lot of games use these days, but some old ones might, so I keep that ticked as it is small and does no harm.

PS.  If it has been seven years, then you need to consider some 'newer' drivers, if not the latest, as there have been at least three driver releases over the last couple of years that affect MSFS.  There was an initial driver at release in August 2020, then two bug fixes, the last one being for memory management in DX12 mode.

Edited by bobcat999

23 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

And you base this opinion of yours on what kind of facts

It is a fact that you do not need GeForce Experience for the driver to work as intended. Like many, I don't use it either.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo