Sign in to follow this  
awralls

FO Voice Fading

I upgraded to the latest version a few days ago and since then I've suffered an intermittent issue with the FO voice fading. It will restore itself after a while and them repeat the problem. The software is going through it's startup routine of ensuring the comms is set to 'no change'. I also have the mic check implemented durimg startup. Been using MCE since 2013 and never had the issue before. Oh, this is with FSX.

Any clues?

Andy

1 hour ago, awralls said:

I upgraded to the latest version a few days ago and since then I've suffered an intermittent issue with the FO voice fading. It will restore itself after a while and them repeat the problem. The software is going through it's startup routine of ensuring the comms is set to 'no change'. I also have the mic check implemented durimg startup. Been using MCE since 2013 and never had the issue before. Oh, this is with FSX.

Any clues?

Andy

Normally, that panel that automatically pops-up is intended to mitigate the issue. Just be aware, every time you reboot Windows, the setting could be lost. Not between 2 flight sim sessions though.

Make sure both flight sim and MCE are running.

In Windows search box, type mixer

Adjust MCE audio level relative to the flight sim audio and hopefully Windows will remember the setting

Gerald,

Apologies for the late response, but as I mentioned, this is an intermittent issue and I wanted to be thorough in determining if it is fixed. Sadly, it isn't. I played around with mixer settings, but none of that made any difference. 

To be clear, the issue is that the sound volume varies during a session. It'll start fine, fade, come back, rinse and repeat.

Any way to revert to an earlier version? I never experienced the issue before upgrading.

Andy

Edited by awralls

6 hours ago, awralls said:

Gerald,

Apologies for the late response, but as I mentioned, this is an intermittent issue and I wanted to be thorough in determining if it is fixed. Sadly, it isn't. I played around with mixer settings, but none of that made any difference. 

To be clear, the issue is that the sound volume varies during a session. It'll start fine, fade, come back, rinse and repeat.

Any way to revert to an earlier version? I never experienced the issue before upgrading.

Andy

The audio synthesis hasn't been touched for at least 3 years, therefore definitely not caused by more recent versions.

Besides, that's what that "automatic audio attenuation" panel pop-up is supposed to address.

Nobody else has reported this similar issue since we added that pop-up.

USB or conventional headset? If conventional with 3 mm jacks, which sound chip is built into the mother board? Realtek or other?

USB headset. I know that the attenuation routine is supposed to address the issue. For me, it doesn't always - to repeat - it's inconsistent. But I guess if nobody else has reported a probelm, mine must be entirely imaginary.

FWIW, I have discovered that if I terminate the mic level check after only a couple of runs of the Peter Piper thing, it seems more reliable. Since I have the mic check to run automatically on startup of MCE, I'll see how it goes if I disable it. Since I am suffering alone, I presume you're not bothered if I fix it, so I'll leave this here.

Still love the software, though.

Andy

6 hours ago, awralls said:

USB headset. I know that the attenuation routine is supposed to address the issue. For me, it doesn't always - to repeat - it's inconsistent. But I guess if nobody else has reported a probelm, mine must be entirely imaginary.

FWIW, I have discovered that if I terminate the mic level check after only a couple of runs of the Peter Piper thing, it seems more reliable. Since I have the mic check to run automatically on startup of MCE, I'll see how it goes if I disable it. Since I am suffering alone, I presume you're not bothered if I fix it, so I'll leave this here.

Still love the software, though.

Andy

It's not about bothering or not Andy. All we can do is tell Windows to not activate its "auto-attenuation" feature (by selecting Do nothing)

After that it's up to the OS. Note that we could just have told users to read the manual with instructions such as

Go to Windows Control Panel

Double click <audio>

Go to <Communication> tab and set "Do nothing" option.

We automated the action for users convenience.

May want to go to Windows device manager and ensure the USB ports don't go to sleep.

Eventually, try a different USB connector. If you have options between USB 2 or 3, use USB 2 even though the other one is faster in theory.

Just to close this out (and to apologise for my tetchy response previously), I should add that I have resolved the issue by the simple expedient of uninstalling 3.0.3.5 and reinstalling 2.9.0.0. I can't say that there is any noticeable reduction in functionality but a huge improvement in stability.

Basically, I no longer have any problems. Probably not what you want to read, but dem's da facts, guv'nor.

Andy