Sign in to follow this  
GalaioSilva

xEnviro 1.20 out for XP12

The downloaded file does not open!  It requires administrative privilages, but even when right clicking and choosing 'open as administrator', it open a message window to say you must open with administrative privilages!

I went to XPlane.org page where it shows V1.20 under the version tab, but under the requirements tab it says not compatible with XP12!

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

At least Ralf Maylin has already been able to make it work, and the shots he sent look really nice!

He's still evaluating this new version and will let me know later what he finds,  but so far he is happy.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I purchased and installed ok.  Some good and bad to report.  I had to revert back to 12:04 so am seeing more cloud fringes, depth problems and noisy cloud edges.  I don't know if these are purely 12.04 issues or introduced by XEnviro.

The good are the cloud structure / shading.  Some angry looking clouds under the overcast.

XEnviro1.png

XEnviro2.png

Higher level clouds with some CB's.

XEnviro3.png

XEnviro4.png

The biggest negative on first try is the smoothness - I turned on the FPS monitor and my ususal smoothness / 30-40 fps was replace with 19.900 fps with clouds visible.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

A big warning to anyone that wants to purchase this:

The method in which xEnviro is trying to inject these clouds is highly frowned upon and will break with EVERY new version/update of X-Plane. Laminar has made this clear and made warnings to developers they are optimizing the Vulkan layers going forward. It will be a very similar situation to how shaders are re-compiled at each XP update.

You risk this purchase breaking all the time should you purchase it, which will then cause you to rely on the developer updating it again. Of course, if you already own xEnviro then your risk is minimal since your money has already been spent.

Edited by Cameron XA
  • Like 5

Founder of X-Aviation

What advantage does this have now over the default clouds? Does it allow us to set our own weather themes or use historic weather yet?

1 hour ago, Cameron XA said:

A big warning to anyone that wants to purchase this:

The method in which xEnviro is trying to inject these clouds is highly frowned upon and will break with EVERY new version/update of X-Plane going forward. Laminar has made this clear and made warnings to developers they are optimizing the Vulkan layers going forward. It will be a very similar situation to how shaders are re-compiled at each XP update.

You risk this purchase breaking all the time should you purchase it, which will then cause you to rely on the developer updating it again. Of course, if you already own xEnviro then your risk is minimal since your money has already been spent.

Well, that is depressing to read just after I purchased it!

23 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Well, that is depressing to read just after I purchased it!

They really should disclaimer that. I know they've been warned and personally reached out to regarding this by Laminar plenty of times.

• Upvote 1

Founder of X-Aviation

1 hour ago, Cameron XA said:

They really should disclaimer that. I know they've been warned and personally reached out to regarding this by Laminar plenty of times.

I have made a few flights with XEnviro now and everytime my fps goes straight to 19.900 and stays there. Disappointed!

I don't get any clouds displayed with xe12. Does anyones has the same issue in xplane12?

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, Windows 10 Home 64bit with 2004 Update

34 minutes ago, julian2 said:

I don't get any clouds displayed with xe12. Does anyones has the same issue in xplane12?

It doesn't work in the beta, you have to be on V12.04

No beta for me

Intel i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, Windows 10 Home 64bit with 2004 Update

I owned it, so I installed it without any risk. As I don’t fly default aircraft, I had no problem downgrading XP to the last stable release. Wow, a new world, clouds look so nice and realistic, at least to me. Turbulence feels better to me and I can edit the level of it. Weather is like reported. No more surprise like before, XP weather often is different from METAR reports, that lead to my one and only Challenger accident. 
Cameron is right. New versions of XP will make it not usable. 
Until then, I use it and like it. Let’s see what happens. Would I spent money on it now? No, I don’t think so. But as a customer, it’s for free, at least it fells like that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ralf Maylin said:

I owned it, so I installed it without any risk. As I don’t fly default aircraft, I had no problem downgrading XP to the last stable release. Wow, a new world, clouds look so nice and realistic, at least to me. Turbulence feels better to me and I can edit the level of it. Weather is like reported. No more surprise like before, XP weather often is different from METAR reports, that lead to my one and only Challenger accident. 
Cameron is right. New versions of XP will make it not usable. 
Until then, I use it and like it. Let’s see what happens. Would I spent money on it now? No, I don’t think so. But as a customer, it’s for free, at least it fells like that.

Same opinion here. I owned so, tried. However, mixed feelings... Downgrade in performance. Default is fine for me. Will use it for while and see...