Sign in to follow this  
Guest JSPuonti

I hope they fix this in SP2

It is not only the "triviality" of the fix.Given the other issues we are aiming at, does fixing a clock gauge have sufficient priority to merit someone's time and attention? Or any other single gauge/switch issue?Given the test team already has a full roster of things to test;we cannot just keep adding to their plate. Or we would never ship.I really try to ask the test team for "extra" fixes that have wide applicability, and this and other ones I have been hearing just dont feel like they meet that bar.

>>Although nothing could be as rediculously complicated as>transferring a title and/or deed for real estate from one>person to another!Considering that I do that for a living, I can fully understand those complications.You cannot imagine the complexity of some of the title examinations that I do every day. Or perhaps you can...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest SIDDickDastardly

>It is not only the "triviality" of the fix.>>Given the other issues we are aiming at, does fixing a clock>gauge have sufficient priority to merit someone's time and>attention? Or any other single gauge/switch issue?>>Given the test team already has a full roster of things to>test;we cannot just keep adding to their plate. Or we would>never ship.>>I really try to ask the test team for "extra" fixes that have>wide applicability, and this and other ones I have been>hearing just dont feel like they meet that bar.The thing is that all the "single" gauge/switch issues add up to a long list of annoying cockpit bugs. You guys have had an entire year in which to fix them and to now say that they don't merit someone's time or attention is pretty insulting, particularly when you charge around double the price of most other games or sims for FSX. If the people you currently employ aren't capable of fixing basic errors like this over such a long period, it might be time to consider replacing them with more talented or harder working staff. The fact of the matter is that other development teams with significantly smaller budgets manage to produce sims featuring many more planes yet with far fewer errors of this type. And BTW, how can fixing bugs in the cockpit of one of the default planes not have "wide applicability"?Having said that, I do agree there are lots of other issues which should have higher priority, like the diabolical texture loading system (3 seconds for cockpit textures to appear after changing cameras??), frequently blurry terrain, horrendous stuttering with photoscenery, loading times longer than an old cassette tape based computer, sprite effects being drawn at screen depth, feeble fps compared to just about any other game or sim ever made (even when all the fancier graphical effects are disabled), lack of proper cloud shadows, airports with woefully inaccurate elevation data, poor control configuration interface etc etc etc.The point is that the existence of big bugs doesn't magically make smaller bugs like incorrectly working gauges and switches acceptable. If you've got time to f@rt about adding fripperies like air racing, then you've got time for fixing the bugs in the (very expensive) software we've already paid for, particularly when in many cases (like this one) the solution is very simple.Cheers,DD

Guest JSPuonti

Well, personally... If I have to choose between getting the Caravan clock officially fixed (which I've unofficially fixed myself) AND for example having Aces fix the 747's VC which is way, WAY out of whack (missing crucial buttons such as CMD on the autopilot, plus a bunch of mis-placed or mislabelled AP buttons), I'll take the 747 fix any day. Simply because while I can fix one simple clock gauge (even if I shouldn't have to), I doubt I can fix the VC.It's not a "single gauge fix" either - the VC is unusable for a proper flight you'd expect to make with the 747. Or what about the Com1 radio being out of sync in multiplayer? I think that's more important than the clock, too (even if I'm struggling with multiplayer itself).I have very high hopes that Aces have fixed both of these issues. They've been known of long enough to have made it into SP2 before the "patch freeze".Phil, got good news for me I hope? ;)

First I have heard of major issues with 747 VC, thread pointers please? I have seen a thread where polar flights were performed in the 747 VC, so I have a hard time reconciling this report with that thread...and it certainly isnt something I have dialoged about before so "they've been known of long enough" seems a stretch to me.I'll have to double-check but I do believe the COM1 sync issue in shared cockpit/MP has been addressed.So that is a glass half-full.

I agree that the reported bug is a flaw.But which game out there is flawless?I am LOVING FSX and everything new it has offered me.I will embrace SP2 and anything it brings will be a bonus.Just thought I would post here to bring a different viewpoint and balance to this discussion.Keep up the good work Phil!Jay

Guest JSPuonti

>First I have heard of major issues with 747 VC, thread>pointers please? I have seen a thread where polar flights were>performed in the 747 VC, so I have a hard time reconciling>this report with that thread...and it certainly isnt something>I have dialoged about before so "they've been known of long>enough" seems a stretch to me.I'm surprised - and had I known that this was NOT showing up on your scope I would have gladly pointed it out to you guys :( Coincidentally I have not been maintaining a list of all the threads where this has been mentioned, so I can only provide you with these links I managed to locate with search tools (some of these are newer, some older - but I know these are not all):http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...15057&mode=fullhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...01984&mode=fullhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...96677&mode=full http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...66325&mode=full http://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php...=9104&mode=fullhttp://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php...10789&mode=fullhttp://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php...18897&mode=fullhttp://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php...19745&mode=fullhttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=43794But if indeed no one at Aces has yet to realize that the 747 VC is problematic - and while I can appreciate the fact that the default airplanes have always been intended to be "functional" but not system simulators down to the smallest detail - can you perhaps offer me some insight on these VC issues that come to mind:* Why is ALTITUDE HOLD engaged by clicking the HEADING HOLD button? (HLD button underneath the Heading readout) The HOLD button beneath the Altitude readout does nothing.* Why is HEADING HOLD engaged by clicking on a button labelled HDG that's visually linked to the IAS / MACH selector? (instead of the abovementioned HOLD button)* Why is there no CMD button for the autopilot in the VC? How do you turn on the autopilot while operating the 747 VC, without using keyboard shortcuts or resorting to 2D panels?*** Edit: Mike confirms below that this report is inaccurate **** I hadn't realized this myself (since I haven't used the 747 due to problems with it), but I noticed in one of those threads I linked above that someone mentioned not being able to switch between NAV / GPS in the 747 VC. I have NOT verified this myself, but if this is true then obviously it's an issue.*** Edit ***>I'll have to double-check but I do believe the COM1 sync issue>in shared cockpit/MP has been addressed.>>So that is a glass half-full.That's definitely a glass half-full, yes. Please do confirm this with someone who has the latest information on the matter!Even if I'm the one to bring the bad news I do appreciate the fact that you take time to interact with us, Phil. Thanks!

For the record Janne, the NAV/GPS mode switch in the VC is functioning correctly.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest JSPuonti

Thanks for confirming that Mike, I couldn't be sure since I hadn't witnessed it myself.

Guest JSPuonti

How about the Com1 fix - were you able to confirm that with those in the know?