Sign in to follow this  
polosim

FSDT KIAH will be ready for release

1 hour ago, virtuali said:

The goal here is offer an usable airport, one you will want to go there often, because it won't have performance problems, where all activities from AI flow to Ground services flow will work as expected because the airport layout has been made by paying quite a bit of attention to them so, it's more like a "fly me" airport, rather than a "show-me" airport. 

Thank you Virtuali, thats all we should ever expect from airport scenery.

Edited by LEFTSEAT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, virtuali said:

KCLT looks a bit plain in real life too.

While when a new scenery comes out that is basically unusable due to performance problems and users seem to complain, you seem to have skipped any comments about performances in KCLT. Fairness should also point out the strong points of every product, which should include the price. Or performances are no longer appreciated ?

I'm aware that peripheral areas in KCLT aren't as good as they could have been, especially the dynamic lighting, which is really lacking in those areas, that's something we need to improve.

It's a scenery that has been started by a modeler in FSX, moved to a another guy in P3D, and another team in MSFS, and some parts clearly shows different styles and different attention to detail and different understanding of the various simulator. And, it was developed during an unfortunate time: the summer of 2021, when SU5 came out, which for users was just a general minor annoyance due to too heavy handed optimizations to make the program fit in the (extremely) limited memory of the Xbox (especially the S, it's wonder MSFS even starts there...), for developers, it made almost impossible to work with the SDK editor, because it crashed every few minutes, it was so bad, we took the habit to save each time we added a single point or line or polygon. Even if we didn't lose too much work by saving every minute, it required a sim restart every time, and this happened exactly when it was time to do most of the work with the editor, the crashes were fixed only months later with SU6, at the end of October but, by that time, the scenery was basically finished, and finally be able to work at a normal pace arrived too late to allow any time to do better detailing. I can only promise to have another look at it, if we can take a break from GSX weekly updates.

KIAH is made by the same author that did LSZH and KORD, so it's surely more consistent, and we are trying to pay attention to lighting everywhere, but you can't expect the same kind of detail of something made from the ground up for MSFS, which is kind of a problem with extremely large airports to do it at *usable* level of performances, without even mentioning the max 1000 simobjects limit, considering we'll take about 200 *just* for jetways and VGDSs.

The goal here is offer an usable airport, one you will want to go there often, because it won't have performance problems, where all activities from AI flow to Ground services flow will work as expected because the airport layout has been made by paying quite a bit of attention to them so, it's more like a "fly me" airport, rather than a "show-me" airport. 

Thanks for the update. When it comes to big airports I dont care about interiors or anything else. Just that it has the correct layout, The buildings/ground/jetways look good, AFCAD works and GSX works is all I can ask. I used to fly in and out of IAH since its a major united hub and cant wait to do my south america/central america 737 hops again into/from Houston, Looking forward to it!!

• Upvote 1

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

FWIW (not much), I for one would appreciate a LOT of effort towards the apron environment, and almost nothing to the interiors.  Still, I am aware that the performance penalty is no longer severe, and that there are others who enjoy viewing terminal interiors.  I imagine, they are the same crowd that loves wing views... but that does not discount their viewpoint. 

I have been very happy with FSDT's airports, and look forward to adding this one "soon".

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Fs Dreamteam is one of the big developers of airports!  Their airports were always optimized as far as performance.  When I had FSX, had many of their airports, Memphis, KJFK, KORD, KCLT, CYVR, KLAX, KDFW, and KIAH/

I never complained about performance with their airports, unlike other developers, who put out gorgeous scenery but  u end up  having a slide show!.

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

17 hours ago, Mroberts95 said:

cant wait to do my south america/central america 737 hops again into/from Houston, Looking forward to it!!

This is precisely why I need KIAH. United operates heavily to Central and South America from Houston and the default is no fun. I've been waiting for Umberto to get his stuff together 😉 with Houston for several months now, so I'm finally happy there's a light at the end of this tunnel. Bring it. 

• Upvote 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

@virtuali Any chance you can share some screenshots of WIP? Come on, throw us a bone 😉

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Excellent, seems like between this and the release of YYC today a flight connecting the two big oil cities is in order 🙂

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

Excellent, seems like between this and the release of YYC today a flight connecting the two big oil cities is in order 🙂

Expect Taxi2Gate KMCO for MSFS very shortly as well.

• Like 1

Eric 

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

Expect Taxi2Gate KMCO for MSFS very shortly as well.

Really? Any pics? 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

KIAH for $9 is a steal-gonna do some PMDG 737 and ATR ops from it later today.

Nicest terminal in KIAH for me is terminal C that was  modeled from scratch, with full interiors (nicely done btw).

Edited by amsfsx02501

Alienware m15 R7: Intel Core i7-12700H, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, nVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windows 11 Home.

MacBook Air: M1, 2020 (7-core GPU), 8GB unified memory, macOS Ventura

iMac: mid-2017, Core i5 3GHz, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 555 2GB, macOS Ventura.

Sims: MSFS, X-Plane 10, 11 & 12.

Based on the information below I have edited my post to remove images which evidently aren't representative of FSDT KIAH. I'll spend some time trying to figure out why it appears the way it does and report my findings. Clearly based on the reports below my observation may not be reasonable and will be deleted once I confirm it to not be accurate.

After comparing views in the sim to images on FSDT KIAH product page, what I see in the sim from similar angles with similar lighting matches FSDT product images exactly. I think I'm simply expecting too much from $9 scenery.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

5 minutes ago, somiller said:

Did Orbx buy FSDT and nobody told me?

I'm REALLY glad I paid only 9$ + tax for KIAH - it's REALLY BAD. Here are a couple of examples showing the terrible taxiway and ramp textures. If KIAH is an example of $9 FSDT airports then in a sane world the freeware Gatwick on flightsim.to would be worth about 3X the cost of KIAH. I know fsdt programmed in all the GSX bells and whistles, but for those of us that don't use or want GSX I'd have rather the effort been spent making it not look like this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well mine is nothing like that. Something has gone wrong your end.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Just now, ZKOKQ said:

Well mine is nothing like that. Something has gone wrong your end.

Agree..I just flew into KIAH earlier this afternoon landing 26L and taxied in same area all the way around to the E terminal and it looked great....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11