Sign in to follow this  
Masterius

Undocking window cuts frame rate in half

I have P3D's frame rate unlocked and control that using NVIDIA's control panel, setting the max frame rate at 30, as my understanding based upon research and user suggestions is that doing so increases stability. However, for some reason when I undock a window my frame rate cuts in half. For example, if NVIDIA's max frame rate is set at 30, P3D shows an in-game FPS of approximately 30. As soon as I undock a window (for instance, an instrument panel) the frame rate drops to 15. Should I then open an undock a second window it drops to 7. If I set NVIDIA's max frame rate to 60, undocking a window drops the FPS to 30; undocking a second drops that to 15.

Any ideas as to why this happens, and how to fix this?

56 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

Do you have "Triple Buffering" activated?

It does the same whether activated or not.

Assuming that you monitor(s) can support it, try to set them to 30Hz refresh rate and don't limit FPS in either Nvida or the Sim settings.

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

I'm not sure if you are the same person that posted over in LM's forums, but I was having the same issue.  It did give me motivation to update my bios and other system drivers today... But the culprit for me was RivaTuner Statistics Server.   Turning that off fixed my FPS drop by 1/2 when undocking panels.

I have also see this with X-Plane with it's pop-out window, so I guess it's not P3D's problem, also many FPS counter like MSI afterbunner, steam OSD, and bandicam would count all windows' FPS together. (The only one that actually works correctly is Fraps, sadly nolonger with DX12 and Vulkan)

I have to disable Nv's FPS limiter for P3D and XP (didn't see any other games with such window structure so far).

P3D's own FPS limiter works fine for me, not yet found something to use in XP though.

Edited by C2615

Are you running SLI by any chance?

I7-8086K Delid OC Synced all cores 5.2  Corsair Hydro Series, H115i PRO ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 SLI CORSAIR HXi Series HX1200i 1200W G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB DDR4 3200 Windows 10 Pro 64

PMDG 737NGX