Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stoopy

A slightly different view

>I wish it was at my end, then I might have a chance of fixing>it :/I'm sorry you've been having troubles. Just out of curiosity, have you tried on another computer? I know that's not always as easy as it sounds, I just happen to have more than one in my apartment, so I like to get a "second opinion" when I run into issues.And if the experience at the Reno Air Races were any indication, multiplayer is going to get even better.

Guest PPSFA

>I wish it was at my end, then I might have a chance of fixing>it :/I can almost guarentee its on your end. If you cant find the problem, there is a great service that can tweak your system so that FSX runs darn near perfect, it would be worth your time to check them out... www.fs-gs.com

Guest RonB49

"I'm just having some troubles with the clouds ... and don't know if there are some replacements in lower quality."I'm using Chris Willis's FS9 clouds. I think he called them the HiFPS cloud set, or some name such as that. They work fine for me. R-

Guest JSPuonti

>After reading your post I think that most people would believe>that your problem with simconnect and multiplayer is a fault>with FSX and a condition that the majority of users>experienceYou're right, they might think that - so just to make sure no one has misunderstood the problem, let me repeat what was already said on the FSX multiplayer forum some time ago:GameSpy's multiplayer component is to blame.I don't know what their relation to the SimConnect module is, I just know that I have better luck connecting to FSX hosts if I block IGN's master servers with a program such as PeerGuardian2. Unfortunately this also means that soon after connecting to the host I'm logged out of GameSpy and lose the friends list and text chat capabilities.If I can obtain the host's IP address (for example by examining PeerGuardian's logs) I can of course connect directly to the host without logging onto GameSpy AND I am able to use text chat - however I once again do not have access to the friends list (naturally, since I'm not logged onto GameSpy). While I admit that this is better than nothing, I don't find it particularly acceptable to have to go through such hoops just to be able to connect to a host.That is not to say that I can avoid any and all problems simply by bypassing GameSpy - there are times when the connection is dropped due to other reasons beyond Aces, GameSpy or myself. I understand that. I just know that by cutting GameSpy out I greatly decrease the amount of disconnection problems I'm having (while at the same time greatly increasing the effort I have to go through to "enjoy" FSX's multiplayer component).>But I do not see it as directly related to FSX.It is related to FSX in the sense that the issues I and others are experiencing are seriously diminishing our enjoyment of a considerable portion of the product. The unfortunate thing about all this is that - as Phil pointed out in the thread where these problems were discussed before - Aces can't do much about it since GameSpy is the one who provided the multiplayer component. GameSpy's support pages on the other hand tell me to contact the game's developer (Aces), who are in their opinion responsible for providing support for this and other aspects of their game.As I said - I wish the problem was at my end, then I could possibly do something about it. I don't see any help coming from the abovementioned parties.>I would guess that your problem is machine based. You see it>as sim related because the intensity of the software>highlights the machine specific error. You might not have realized this, but a majority of the problems we're facing take place well before we even get to the sim part of the game. The biggest problem is connecting to a host. A connection attempt might fail part-way through loading weather, or list of user airplanes. Sometimes we get to see the briefing room, only to be told that the "Host has cancelled the session", or that "You have lost connection" or that "You might have connected from another computer".Should we be so lucky as to actually stay connected and manage to join the session, *usually* things work ok. There are disconnections from time to time and that's understandable. Sometimes shared cockpit causes a CTD. These are the ordinary kind of problems I can live with and the latter I can attribute to some combination of hardware, software and bad luck.>In fact a post such as yours or others deserve an answer but>it doesn't, in my opinion, belong in the FSX forum where>others are liable to see it as a fault with the sim but rather>in a forum about networks, connectivity, hardware>etc................ And that's where it's been discussed previously and in length:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...95&topic_id=978Further discussion of network problems should in my opinion, too, be taken to the multiplayer forum - however what I have said thus far relates to your original topic in a very real way. There's a lot of good in FSX and the developers deserve credit for that, but that doesn't mean you can just skip the bad things. Just because you don't experience them doesn't mean others should not know of them. There needs to be a balance.And no, this isn't personal :)

Guest JSPuonti

>I'm sorry you've been having troubles. Just out of curiosity,>have you tried on another computer? I know that's not always>as easy as it sounds, I just happen to have more than one in>my apartment, so I like to get a "second opinion" when I run>into issues.No, unfortunately I don't have another computer I could try this on :/

Guest JSPuonti

>I can almost guarentee its on your end. If you cant find the>problem, there is a great service that can tweak your system>so that FSX runs darn near perfect, it would be worth your>time to check them out... www.fs-gs.comI've heard of him. I *should* probably write him and ask if he's dealt with anyone with these disconnection and lobby problems and managed to fix them.EDIT:Done. Mailed the guy and asked about it. Let's see what he has to say :)

Guest JimC1702

One of the really nice things about the Super 80 is that, if you don't want all the complexity, you can also fly it as easily as the default airliners by using the auto configurations available for each phase of flight.

>>I can almost guarentee its on your end. If you cant find>the>>problem, there is a great service that can tweak your system>>so that FSX runs darn near perfect, it would be worth your>>time to check them out... www.fs-gs.com>>I've heard of him. I *should* probably write him and ask if>he's dealt with anyone with these disconnection and lobby>problems and managed to fix them.>>EDIT:>>Done. Mailed the guy and asked about it. Let's see what he has>to say :)You do realize that the fs-gs guy is the original poster in this thread. ;)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Shalomar

Not to take this thread off topic, but my question was about shared cockpit in the Flight 1 Super 80. That is the only bell or whistle I care about, and what I will base my purchase (or not) on. Is it fully compatible?Back to the topic at hand, FSX has given me plenty of enjoyment. The only hardware upgrade (Other than a mike) I did was to add a gig of RAM to bring my rig to a total of 1.5. Lately I have been using FSX more than FS9, and except for the ocasional mission all of it has been multiplayer. FSX default looks slightly better than my FS9 with Ultimate terrain, GE Pro and Active Sky at the settings I run. My settings are dumbed down from FS9 levels in FSX.I never apreciated round earth till I took off from 22N in a Tomcat; burned up to 30,000 feet and flew to KWWD entirely by pilotage. I could see the peninsula some 90 miles away as soon as I took off; and the overal way FSX draws distant terrain is much better than FS9.And shared cockpit... I am willing to put up with default and freeware if they are compatible... Definitely.Best Regards, Donald T.:-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

Guest Lith1um

I totally agree regarding the ignorance of some of the comments I've read here, not meaning that as an insult.It's just that some of the comments like "Crysis has better graphics and runs faster than fsx." really shows a complete lack of understanding. Never mind the fact that crysis is drawing an area the size of an island while FSX draws hundreds and hundreds of miles of visibility and fills it all with autogen. And how Phil has to continually explain the magic screenies to so many premadona's. It's inconceivable to me that people examined those screenies and instantly believed they were anything other than an artists concept drawing. The FSX team gave us a glimpse into the FSX development process and legions of blind came out in groves to beat them to death for doing it.Or how FSX draws more autogen at default settings than FS9 does maxed out. But because there are sliders, every tom, dick, and harry slates FSX because HE can't run with sliders maxed. God forbid reducing the sliders 'cause that just feels all icky and "I'll never run a game like that." or "I shouldn't have to run a game like that".Personaly I think the team did an incredible job considering they are rendering a planet. The main area of improvement I would like to see in the future is runways with elevation gradiants. I'm running FSX at 1600x1200x32 16xAF 4xSSAA with tons of payware and it still runs fine. I'd like it to run faster, but It's fast enough right now. I agree with the FSX design targets, I'm glad they left some sliders that I can't presently max out. Imo it's nice to have some spare IQ left in the tank for when the new cpus / gpus come out in Q1.

Guest sssummer

Excellent post. Kudos to you sir. Agree 100%. If you buy a middle high end to high end system, FSX runs just fine (and hopefully even better after SP2). 2 years from now FSX will be like the current FS9 as far as frame rates as hardware catches up and a lower end to middle powered systems in the future will run FSX like a high end one does now with FSX. Then we will start all over again with FS11. We want more detail, improved realism and better graphics. It all comes with a price, and since this is the hobby I choose, I will invest in it.

Let's hope that my post opens other avenues of discussion rather than just multi-player or shared cockpit since that is only one small portion of what I was saying.As to this problem of connectivity to Gamespy. I really hope you find a solution to your particular problem.It is true that there is no way that I can prove (nor can you disprove)through statistics that the issue is separate from simconnect or gamespy or totally separate from FSX since I don't believe that this info has been collected.However, and I do not wish to involve my particular business here, since I am trying to keep this one on one, I fly and work with a very large base of people and each and every time that a connectivity problem has occured (not very often) it came down to machine or machine based network connectivity error (other than those times that Gamespy servers were obviously down or acting up)I am not going to become embroiled in the question of whether it was discussed previously or not (and I'm glad it was if it helped) but in many cases the efficacy of those discussions is questionable. I also see no value in discussing the regretable habit of shifting blame from one group to the other ie ACES to gamespy etc.At times I believe, and I say this with due admiration, that even developers can be their own worst enemy when trying to deal with user specific problems many of whose issues are out of the developers scope of expertise and job description.I am entirerly convinced that those who disseminate the information aren't even aware of alternate solutions or set up conditions and I still stand by the statement that your problem and that of certain others is specific to that individual or group with which that individual interacts and does not in any way reflect the general experience.And this was the point of my original post................. You should not by individual inference state that something is non-functionable when conditions prove that it is and until all avenues of investigation are exnausted you should not condemn a program and cause hesitation in others to use that program because you yourself have a problem.That's why thinking outside the box is a great idea.By the way all of this was being typed while flying over Australia with a group of different people from points all over the globe, on gamespy, with shared cockpits and flying different planes. I can only hope that you get to the bottom of your problem since this is a great experience for all to enjoy!!

>I totally agree regarding the ignorance of some of the>comments I've read here, not meaning that as an insult.>>It's just that some of the comments like "Crysis has better>graphics and runs faster than fsx." really shows a complete>lack of understanding. Never mind the fact that crysis is>drawing an area the size of an island while FSX draws hundreds>and hundreds of miles of visibility and fills it all with>autogen. >>And how Phil has to continually explain the magic screenies to>so many premadona's. It's inconceivable to me that people>examined those screenies and instantly believed they were>anything other than an artists concept drawing. The FSX team>gave us a glimpse into the FSX development process and legions>of blind came out in groves to beat them to death for doing>it.>>Or how FSX draws more autogen at default settings than FS9>does maxed out. But because there are sliders, every tom,>dick, and harry slates FSX because HE can't run with sliders>maxed. God forbid reducing the sliders 'cause that just feels>all icky and "I'll never run a game like that." or "I>shouldn't have to run a game like that".>>Personaly I think the team did an incredible job considering>they are rendering a planet. The main area of improvement I>would like to see in the future is runways with elevation>gradiants. >>I'm running FSX at 1600x1200x32 16xAF 4xSSAA with tons of>payware and it still runs fine. I'd like it to run faster, but>It's fast enough right now. I agree with the FSX design>targets, I'm glad they left some sliders that I can't>presently max out. Imo it's nice to have some spare IQ left in>the tank for when the new cpus / gpus come out in Q1.What's really funny is that I'm in the Crysis MP beta and it is running pretty #### slow on my system.

Guest JSPuonti

>You do realize that the fs-gs guy is the original poster in>this thread. ;)Well, I do NOW :D But I can honestly say I didn't realize it before you brought it up.