Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stoopy

A slightly different view

Guest JSPuonti

>However, and I do not wish to involve my particular business>here, since I am trying to keep this one on one, I fly and>work with a very large base of people and each and every time>that a connectivity problem has occured (not very often) it>came down to machine or machine based network connectivity>error (other than those times that Gamespy servers were>obviously down or acting up)I believe that answers the question I posed to you via e-mail before I was informed that you're the person behind fs-gs. It's certainly encouraging to hear, even if at this very moment it does not fix the problem for me (or anyone else for that matter, since I'm not alone in this).>By the way all of this was being typed while flying over>Australia with a group of different people from points all>over the globe, on gamespy, with shared cockpits and flying>different planes.Yeah, I was still trying to get it to work (rather late last night for myself) and happened to notice your session on GameSpy. Felt like a kid grasping an airfield's perimeter fence and wishing he was up there flying. So close but so disconnected ;) >I can only hope that you get to the bottom of your problem>since this is a great experience for all to enjoy!! And don't I know it. If I didn't know or didn't care I wouldn't be banging my head to the wall like this. Like I said, there's a lot of good stuff in FSX but unfortunately for many of us the experience is less exciting and more frustrating than it could / should be due to problems such as this.

Good post Michael. I do think a lot of the FSX-bashing is mainly due to the fact that a lot of people just can't *accept* that moving up to the newer FS version will need a hardware upgrade.Personally I haven't upgraded my system yet, but even when running FSX on my P43.2GHz/X800 Pro system, I'm still in awe of some of the enhancements and features of the new sim. The fact that a lot of the time the performance on my rig is quite bad is something I can accept. That isn't a surprise to me, and so long as I know that a system upgrade will help in that regard, then in my mind I'm satisfied. I know it will cost a fair amount to do so, and I also know a system upgrade may not do absolute wonders, but it should at least make my simming experience somewhat better than what it is now. The upgrade is something I've weighed up in my mind over a lot of thinking, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm prepared to lose the money for the enjoyment that it'll bring.

Great post! My only disagreement is I don't think it is a slightly different view-but one that is shared by many.I've been simming since 1981 and every version of flightsim always required a massive hardware upgrade to run. Of course back then there were no sliders or add ins-and everyone just accepted that and was not surprised.When Flight Unlimited first came out with sliders, everyone turned them up to the max and found it brought their machines to a crawl, and the complaining cycle which befalls every sim release now began. The complaining actually did this series in, and this was a tragic event as the fu series really pushed the envelope in every way. I have always wondered if sliders which should be a positive thing, were left out, if everyone would be happier!In any case-with fsx, this is the first time I have not upgraded in my long history! I am running on a nearly 4 year old pIV 3.2 and I am doing fine.I do keep ai traffic at about 20%, and I leave autogen/water effects mostly off-not so much for performance but because with the new high res textures I think it looks more real this way.With this I get mid 20's-30's most of the time-and at major city airports down to 10-12 while taxiing around.I'd of course like better performance-but I am waiting for a more latest and greatest system than those out there presently and find this performance satisfactory for now-especially with all the improvements fsx has to offer. Since I used to upgrade every 1-2 years at a cost more considerable than today, the savings I have accrued will allow me a massive system when I make the move! :-)http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Great post, Michael!FSX is a whole new sim, and all for the better. Thanks again for encouraging me to install it on my system.Best,Ken

As it hasn't been directly metioned in any else's replies/comments, allow me to comment on one point Michael raised.This is the issue of "user incompetence" (aka: self-proclaimed "experts") who quite often get in their own way and cripple performance of FSX - and consequently their enjoyment of same. ;)Without naming names, or getting too detailed with regards to the hardare involved, here is a true story. While acknowledging the difficulty in forming a generalization based on a single instance, I'm reasonably confident that this scenario has been played out more than once... ;)Some years ago, a former friend of mine was crying on my shoulder about how lousy FS9 was running on his "hot rod" system, when while visiting with me he noticed that my consideraly less robust machine was running extremely well with most sliders maxed out!So, I offered to trade systems with him temporarily while I took his "hot rod" and applied some TLC to it. Long story short, after a complete reinstall and tweak of his "hot rod," I finally got FS9 running faster and more smoothly than my own had been (past tense deliberate - see next paragraph!)...After my friend brought my system back for the re-exchange, he was delighted at the now, stellar performance of FS9! Sadly, and much to my extreme displeasure, my machine's performance was complete crud! It seems he couldn't resist applying some of his "great expertise" to my system and configuration files...Now you know why I stated at the outset of this story, "former" friend... :-bang

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>After my friend brought my system back for the re-exchange, he>was delighted at the now, stellar performance of FS9! Sadly,>and much to my extreme displeasure, my machine's>performance was complete crud! It seems he couldn't resist>applying some of his "great expertise" to my system and>configuration files...>>Now you know why I stated at the outset of this story,>"former" friend... :-bang ROFLMAO!Sadly, been there, done that - got the T-shirt and I too had to dump a friend.VicQ6600 G0 CPU 2.4 o/c 3.6Evga 680i A1 with P30 BIOS 2G XP2-8500 DDR2 1066FSB Mushkin 996535 RAM 5-5-4-12-2T320G 7200 HD partitioined for XP/Vista/Programs 2 - 74G Raptors in RAID0 500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIe Kandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest tmilton

>After my friend brought my system back for the re-exchange, he>was delighted at the now, stellar performance of FS9! Sadly,>and much to my extreme displeasure, my machine's>performance was complete crud! It seems he couldn't resist>applying some of his "great expertise" to my system and>configuration files...LOL, fascinating story, although I have to concede you are a much braver person than I by allowing a self-proclaimed "expert" freedom in changing important config files without any oversight.But then again it might be a really interesting experiment to conduct, but I wouldn't dare handing over my machine to the "expert" unless I previously made a complete image backup of the hard drive which could be immediately restored in the possible event the "expert" happened to cripple my machine.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Are you beta'ing Crysis without having to sign a non-disclosure agreement?

Guest Stoopy

I'd very much like to add my concurrence and congratulations on such an outstanding post. I got a laugh out of the multiplayer comments, as my experience has been the same - sometimes it's seemed like the only "safe" place to talk positively about FSX without getting bashed, since the general forum experiences are so markedly different and negative. Having a 3.2Ghz P4 (Prescott) system, I certainly expected some upgrades and got away with pretty minimal stuff (an extra Gig of RAM and a newer, but only mid-range vid card) and was VERY happy with FSX on that system.I've since upgraded, but not by choice and not because of FSX. Someone in the house turned off the power (at the power strip!) when my system was in the middle of a NAV scan and the hard drive was working away. OUCH! Trashed the drive badly. Since a new hard drive and full reinstall was really the only safe route out, the luvin' spouse surprisd me and actually suggested a new PC and rotating the existing one out for other duties (i.e., dedicated solitaire computer :) ). I was actually quite bummed because FSX was working very acceptably for me and I really didn't WANT new hardware and all the work in setting everything up again, just wanted to FLY!But even so, with totally minimum money, I'm now running it on a non-overclocked 2.66Mhz E6750, Gigabyte mobo, 2 Gigs of RAM (faster, 800Mhz DDR2) and the same vid card (ATI 1650 PRO 512MB) and find FSX to be just fantastic, only real change is I'm now running it at 1600x1200 res as opposed to 1280x1024. 24FPS pretty much anywhere I care to go and looks gorgeous!! My outlay (essentially keeping the power supply and vid card I had, and replacing everything else including a new copy of Windows XP to stay legal on an additional system) was just over $800. The all-too-common remarks and comments that a "supersystem" is needed to run the sim adequately just sound so silly and only serve to harm the credibility of those stating such, IMHO.I still "do" FS9 as well since I have projects, commitments and interests in that version, but for pleasure flying, FSX is certainly the sim of choice for me. Bravo!