Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

Update Day

4 minutes ago, bill62 said:

Update day... See what you started😁

Haha. It won't be long until someone starts to argue that updates are carcinogenic or that you will get some other nasty disease if you follow ASOBOs advice 

Edited by cianpars

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

13 minutes ago, Torsen said:

...and the myth about the community folder is still there. Interesting how persistent this myth is still lived. Even renaming the folder or temp disabling in addon linker is a waste of time but each to his own 😉 It will not do any harm but it helps neither in any way. If there is a problem in your comm folder it will occur again not depending on if you renamed the folder or not. Official Upates will NEVER touch the community folder.

Rolling cache for sure should be deleted if you have flown recently in the area of the WU as it brings new ground imagery.

Cheers T.

Flight simulator world is full of myths: community folder is one of them. I can remember also using VPN for better performance or disabiling some Windows feature to gain FPS. 

Just now, Jeeeno said:

Flight simulator world is full of myths: community folder is one of them. I can remember also using VPN for better performance or disabiling some Windows feature to gain FPS. 

All the things I mentioned are optional, though in my view, good housekeeping and may preempt issues from occurring.  There are a number of changes you can make to your OS which may improve gaming performance (and some are, of course snake oil) and using a VPN has been shown to resolve the "your bandwidth is to low" issues by switching to a MS server in a different country which may be less busy.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I like to go into Nvidia Control Panel and toggle the 'Threaded Optimisation' setting in there. 

It doesn't affect anything in the sim, but it just takes up a little time and makes me feel like I am doing something meaningful while I am waiting for the update files to download,
You never know though, it might give me an extra half a frame a second one day!  :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

19 minutes ago, cianpars said:

All the things I mentioned are optional, though in my view, good housekeeping and may preempt issues from occurring.  There are a number of changes you can make to your OS which may improve gaming performance (and some are, of course snake oil) and using a VPN has been shown to resolve the "your bandwidth is to low" issues by switching to a MS server in a different country which may be less busy.

Correlation is not causation.

• Like 1

While the nuances of Update prep are being wrangled, what about anticipated release time?

Anyone seen anything official regarding that?

T45

1 hour ago, Jeeeno said:

Flight simulator world is full of myths: community folder is one of them.

I think the reasoning behind empty your community folder comes from the chance that an add on can cause a performance issue.  People leave items in there and swear they can have nothing to do with stutters and performance changes right after a sim update.  Then the Asobo broke the sim, look at my FPS it’s now 10 FPS posts start littering the forums.  No community item that I am aware of will straight up break the sim and cause full reinstall, but there are plenty of examples of add ons causing performance issues after updates.  World Updates are a little different but someone probably has some half baked Hawaii mesh installed and will complain that WU ruined the Hawaii coast or something.

I think the message should be after an update empty your community folder first and test if you have performance issues.

Edited by TravelRunner404

9 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

I think the message should be after an update empty your community folder first and test if you have performance issues.

No, I think you skipped over the previous conversations.  There is no point doing this first, it is a waste of time. 

Certainly do this if you have performance issues AFTER the update, but even then, you only need to rename the folder temporarily, not empty it.

Anyway, I think I am done with all that, people will do what they believe ultimately.

As for the time, we normally get it at 4pm in the UK.  Not sure if summertime will change that, but I think most in the northern hemisphere are an summertime now anyway so it should be the same time for everyone still.  Looking forward to it, and seeing the price of the ATR.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 minute ago, Paul K said:

I hope Mathijs Kok at Asobo fixes the PMDG EFB in this sim update.

Paul, the best so far  👍🏻 ! 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Personally, I'm really excited about the ATR. I'm not even sure if it's free or not, but I've been waiting for a turbo prop regional aircraft since launch day. I'm one of those "filthy casual" that use Little Nav Map and the world map flight planner, so I do hope it supports it, even if it's an "expert series" aircraft.

1 minute ago, Violins77 said:

Personally, I'm really excited about the ATR. I'm not even sure if it's free or not, but I've been waiting for a turbo prop regional aircraft since launch day. I'm one of those "filthy casual" that use Little Nav Map and the world map flight planner, so I do hope it supports it, even if it's an "expert series" aircraft.

I was under the impression that it was free - maybe not. I will get it anyway. I will need to brush up on my HT1000 skills as I've been spoiled by using only the GTN750.

• Like 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

2 hours ago, Ridvan Celik said:

Or it’s just advice from Asobo on what to do before an update? Delete rolling cache and empty the community folder… not that dramatic really.

"and empty the community folder"

No, just rename it _bac, then once update is installed delete the new empty folder and delete the _bac. Your good to go.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!