Sign in to follow this  
Kuax

Hifisimtech interrupted ASE's server connectivity

As a "Dinosaur" still using FS2004 and ASE I had to realize recently that ASE's server connectivity doesn't work anymore. So no more weather downloads... I contacted Hifisim's support and had been told by Dave Opper that they had to do that: "Unfortunately due to mandatory required network efficiency updates and cost management, older products prior to AS2016 have been retired and online access to these products have had to be disabled"

So I spent money for a product which partly doesn’t work anymore, although I paid for that server connectivity at the time of buying. It’s not because ASE is damaged somehow, it’s because of Hifisim's decision. That in mind I’ll think about it very conscientiously when considering buying a product of Hifisimtech in the future, a company giving their products about ten years full funktionality and cutting of a part afterwards in full awareness.

Many FS9 products no longer work nor can they be activated. REX killed their weather several years ago. The Microsoft built in weather stopped functioning many years ago. ASE had a long run and the developers unofficially supported it well beyond any period you could possibly expect. Heck, they even gave you the courtesy of a reply now.

There are developers I think you can certainly complain about but HiFi isn't one. They even fixed ASE when it stopped functioning a few years ago. They were under no obligation to do so as the product was already old. They did fix it and gave us a few extra years to enjoy it. That even surprised me.

Finally, it's not like it's dead. You just need to use historical weather which in many ways is better than downloaded weather anyhow. I'll be using ASE forever!

Mark Daniels

Sounds bad, although I never used AS for FS9. Any weather alternatives for FS2004?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Kuax,

I feel your pain. In 1984 i bought my first flightsim (subLOGIC) and paid for that. Believe it or not, in 2023 it does not work on Win11 although it did cost money. I'm so furious!!! (That's the way we Germans are... 😉)

Kind regards, Fritz

14 hours ago, Pegaso said:

Kuax,

I feel your pain. In 1984 i bought my first flightsim (subLOGIC) and paid for that. Believe it or not, in 2023 it does not work on Win11 although it did cost money. I'm so furious!!! (That's the way we Germans are... 😉)

Kind regards, Fritz

Me too! But my Commodore 64 still works!

• Upvote 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X