Sign in to follow this  
Qatsimo

nightlighting bug?

Hi,i posted about this earlier. The nightlighting of airportbuildings comes on way too late (at dusk). No one else noticed this? I have it with default as well as add-on scenery.It's like if the airport is abandoned. So, is it a bug, is it my system or is it by design (because of the newly introduced specular reflection system in fsx)? The groundlight, ag light on not reflective buildings and aircraftlighting comes on about 2 hours earlier. If it's by design i like to vote for switching off the reflections 2 hours earlier and have nightlight. The pictures below show what i'm talking about. I waited half an hour to see if the lights would come on. Then i turned the clock back 1 minute, if it maybe was a texture loading issue but that didn't help. Finally they came on all of a sudden, about one hour later than the other nightlight.Regards, Gerrithttp://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/koyaan/light1.jpghttp://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/koyaan/light2.jpghttp://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/koyaan/light3.jpg

Haven't noticed this myself, usually fly during the day, but do you have SP1 installed? It fixed something with the night lights but I don't think it was this.Anyway, I'll have to keep an eye out the next time I fly at dusk.Also, have you noticed this at just one particualr airport or more than one?Ian.

From a collection of tips from Phil Taylor's blog:-----------------------http://www.fsinsider.com/tips/Pages/SP1How...uInstallIt.aspxFor the dusk/dawn textures some people feel that the result is too dark or too light. There are 2 items that allow the transition time to be changed:[GRAPHICS]DAY_THRESHOLDNIGHT_THRESHOLDAcceptable values are 0 to 65535. Defaults:DAY: 32768NIGHT: 4096These represent the amount of

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Ian,the first time i saw this was at default CDG. The pictures show EGPF by Gary Summons. On other occasions i probably wasn't arriving or departing in that critical timespan of one hour. I tested it at some other aiports, default and add-on, and i noticed the same thing happen. And also at dawn it's the other way around, building nightlight switches off too early.Regards, Gerrit

Hi Bill,that answer i got to my previous post also. I didn't dare to change it because i always fly realtime and the ambient light seems to be spot on, comparing FSX to what i see looking out the window. But i gave it a try, setting both to 50000. There seems to be some improvement i think, in respect to the ground and building textures. They don't appear that very dark or black anymore at dawn/dusk. But unfortunately it doesn't solve the building nightlight. If these would come on/off at the same time as the ground nightlight it would be correct. Unlike i mentioned before, it doesn't seem to be related to the reflective texture part of the sim, i saw building specular reflections and nightlight working well together at the same time.Regards, Gerrit

I think that effect is supposed to represent light hitting the vertical sides of buildings. In real life, the ground can appear darker than the sides of buildings when the sun is setting. Since the ground is more parallel to the sun it won't have much light hitting it at low sun angles. I guess that's what they were intending to simulate here.I have never messed with the ambient light settings, but I would hope that if you play around with the ambient settings you can achieve something that is blended a little better.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Well, i think it's not good. It spoils all the fun in the late afternoon. I couldn't park decently because the parking arrow (see pic) wasn't on yet. So i'm talking about the airport lacking nightlight. Now i'm suspicious it has something to do with the round earth. I've been to the America's and that explains why no one is complaining about it here. It's less worse, actually it's less worse the further south i got. KJFK was less worse than EGPF, which is more north. But thks for the heads up :)Maybe Phil can shed some (night)light on this?Regards, Gerrit