Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

SP2 Download Size?

Guest UlfB

By Microsoft? I doubt it, since Phil Taylor hasn't posted info on the SP2 details yet. Have a look yourself on Phils blog http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/default.aspx If you monitor Phils blog I'll guess you'll get all the info you need as soon as it's available from MS.Ulf B :-)

>By Microsoft? I doubt it, since Phil Taylor hasn't posted>info on the SP2 details yet. Have a look yourself on Phils>blog http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/default.aspx If you monitor>Phils blog I'll guess you'll get all the info you need as soon>as it's available from MS.>>Ulf B :-)>Yes, I know about the blog. It's in my favourites. ;)Strange that there hasn't been mention of the size considering that we knew the size of SP1 weeks (or even months?) before it was released. It's not important though I supppose. Just wondering.

Guest UlfB

Victor,I don't think it's strange. My guess is that the size of SP2 will be known weeks before the actual release. If the details of SP2, what's in and what's out of SP2, isn't yet determined, I guess it's pretty hard for anyone to determine the size of the SP2 download. I guess there will be two downloads, one for Vista and one for XP.Ulf B :-)

>Strange that there hasn't been mention of the size considering>that we knew the size of SP1 weeks (or even months?) before it>was released. ...which leads me to conclude that we must not be weeks or a month before release yet. ??Probably they haven't fully determined what is IN and OUT yet--and that really dictates the approximate size of the download. But I suspect we will know very soon...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Oh no, we know what we want in. There was a plan, we started executing on it after SP1. Features and fixes that weren't going to make it in have been cut already.Its a matter of whether or not the bits that are already in get finalized and dont cause regression.Last time I checked SP2 was about half the size of SP1, around 100m give or take a bit.

Guest Rick Baldwin

This may be a dumb question, but what the heck. Will SP2 be of any benefit to those of us running Windows XP, or will it be of benefit only for those running Vista?-Rick----------- My System -----------P4 @ 2.53 GHz / 1GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 6800XT, 256MB / Windows XP Home

Yes.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have stated on several occasions that there will be fixes for DX9 on XP and Vista as well as the DX10 work in SP2.

Guest Rick Baldwin

Thank you for your reply Phil. Let me ask one more question just to make sure I understand things correctly.DX10 itself will never be available for Windows XP, therefore those SP2 enhancements which utilize DX10 will be of no benefit to Windows XP users. Those enhancements which utilize DX9 will be of benefit to Windows XP users. Have I stated the situation correctly?-Rick

yes, with the addition that DX9 users on Vista will also get the benefit of the DX9 SP2 fixes.

Guest Rick Baldwin

Great, thanks Phil.I know you are not ready to discuss the various enhancements right now. Do you have a date yet when you will be able to discuss the enhancements in detail?-Rick----------- My System -----------P4 @ 2.53 GHz / 1GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 6800XT, 256MB / Windows XP Home

At the risk of sounding like a complete fool, I have a question. I'm running FSX on Vista and assume it's using DX9. When SP2 comes out how will it choose DX10 as the primary code fox FSX, and will there be a DX10 update for Vista? I have other software that requires DX9 and no updates in sight for them.Hope this question makes some kind of sense.Thanks