Sign in to follow this  
aatd

TrackIR -- Suggested How-to Video?

I have read about some great immersion outcomes using the TrackIr 5.  I'm still not getting that.  

Can anyone suggest a video instructing on how to set-up and calibrate the system for MSFS, preferably for a non-IT type user?

Second question, I have a three monitor (Nvidia surround) setup.  Is it futile for me to achieve good performance with the TIR in this scenario, or is it achievable?

Thank you folks,

Brian

It has been a while since I did that.

I really did not have to calibrate anything at all. Once the TrackIR software is installed you check from within the software for both game updates and software updates.
I think out of the box it doesn'tr recognise MSFS hence the game updates. It will install a MSFS profile for TrackIR which worked nice for me.
I was just going to bed but since you probably don't want to wait I've found this youtube video by Simhanger which seems to explain things quite clearly.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Edited by orchestra_nl

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Thank you for the detailed reply.  I don't seem to be getting the same result, but I'll pull up the video you suggested.  Hopefully it will clear away any mistakes I'm making,

Brian

9 hours ago, aatd said:

Can anyone suggest a video instructing on how to set-up and calibrate the system for MSFS, preferably for a non-IT type user?

Second question, I have a three monitor (Nvidia surround) setup.  Is it futile for me to achieve good performance with the TIR in this scenario, or is it achievable?

I always found this video really helpful. It's not specifically for MSFS, but I don't think that matters. Also, in my experience a three-screen nvidia surround display has negligible impact on TrackIR.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

thank you for the suggestions.  I'll go through the video today.

re; the Seth profile, the link provided is no longer available.  Does anyone know the most recent link?

Many thanks all,

Brian

I found this one from Mark at simhanger pretty helpful, simple and well explained.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

5 hours ago, aatd said:

re; the Seth profile, the link provided is no longer available.  Does anyone know the most recent link?

Many thanks all,

Brian

Unfortunate as the default TrackIR profile is a compromise that is meant to also work for First Person Shooters and is far from optimal for flight.

The Seth profile gives an immediate massive improvement.

I do not have access to a computer with it installed at present but perhaps someone else can upload a copy somewhere.

I have used a profile for 15 years called "Optimised Flight" and can send you this. It might be on the website too. 

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Something to be aware of: track ir in-game tracking is massively smoother at higher in-game framerates. Tracking is incredibly smoother at a 60fps in game than 30. It’s useable at the lower framerates but not nearly as fluid/lifelike as 45+

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

13 minutes ago, CaptainNick said:

Something to be aware of: track ir in-game tracking is massively smoother at higher in-game framerates. Tracking is incredibly smoother at a 60fps in game than 30. It’s useable at the lower framerates but not nearly as fluid/lifelike as 45+

In the past you could alleviate that a bit by dedicating an entire core just to the TrackIR.  No idea if it still works, have not needed to lately.

I've been using TrackIR since around 2006 and all I ever do (after a reinstall for whatever reason) is:
- set the Smooth setting under Motion control all the way to the right
- select the included Smooth profile
and I'm done. Easy. I never fooled around with other settings or profiles from others. It simply works (almost) out of the box for me. Even if you might not like the settings right away you will get used to them quickly enough. I do think people often complicate things by fooling around with settings and options without first giving the defaults a try.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tup61 said:

I've been using TrackIR since around 2006 and all I ever do (after a reinstall for whatever reason) is:
- set the Smooth setting under Motion control all the way to the right
- select the included Smooth profile
and I'm done. Easy. I never fooled around with other settings or profiles from others. It simply works (almost) out of the box for me. Even if you might not like the settings right away you will get used to them quickly enough. I do think people often complicate things by fooling around with settings and options without first giving the defaults a try.

That's all I did   Smooth fully right and the slider above, I adjusted until when my head turned to the edge of the screen, I got 90 degrees of movement.  Actually, the lower you can get this setting, the smoother it became subject to being able to get that 90 degrees of course.

I previously ran locked at 30 fps, but track IR is certainly smoother locked at 60 fps (even though my graphics card fan is going like the clappers.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)