Sign in to follow this  
SquadronLeader

Asobo ATR and HOTAS Thrustmaster throttle setup

Hi, I would appreciate some help with the settings for my HOTAS thrustmaster throttle when binding with the Asobo ATR.

I would like to be able to apply thrust to each engine separately if required, and therefore selected dual axis in the throttle setup section of the EFB. That done, I selected throttle axis 1 & 2 in the control options of MSFS, and that achieved the object of being able to apply thrust independently to each engine. I then calibrated each of the two throttles  in the EFB - for idle, notch and ramp thrust settings.

The idle setting does not take into account the reverse thrust detent on the HOTAS thrustmaster throttle, so when the HOTAS thrustmaster throttle is set to idle and I take a look in the ATR, the thrust levers are in the reverse thrust position. 

So, my question is - how do I correctly bind the forward and reverse thrusts on the HOTAS thrustmaster throttle so that they are replicated within the ATR?

EDIT: Since posting this topic. I have been trying to set up the throttles with both the paid version of FSUIPC and/or the MSFS bindings via control options. Whereas, I have been able to do so via FSUIPC with both the PMDG 737 and the Fenix A320 - I am struggling with this - and know there must be a simple solution (I hope!)

Edited by SquadronLeader

George Westwell

bumping - as our friends from across the pond wake up - and can hopefully offer some solutions. 

Have a great weekend everyone

George Westwell

I have the X56 Throttle/Stick and have been struggling to get the ATR set up - with and without AxisAndOhs.

I can't persuade the condition levers to work as anything other than an axis (which can't go to a full fuel cut-off after starting) - so I just use the mouse.

I'm also struggling to get the reversers set up properly. Currently I have them on the same throttle axes (1 & 2) but it's all too easy to engage them by accident when throttling to idle.

I'd also appreciate any help from anyone (!).

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I have an X55. You have to bind a couple of switches to TOGGLE FEATHER PROP 1 & 2 as well as the axis. This moves them to cutoff.

Re reversers. Normally assigning toggle reverse thrust axis to a button works but I have read it doesn't in this plane, not tried myself yet.

• Like 1

Since the reverser gates on the Warthog are buttons, make sure that "Throttle hardware has reverser axis" is UNSELECTED in the EFB setup (it's directly below the Dual Axis option - which should be selected).  You will probably also need to re-calibrate the throttles in the EFB after making this change.

Next assign the Warthog Throttle reverse buttons correctly in the Sim's controller options:

Left Reverser (button 30) should be assigned to "Throttle 1 Decrease" (it's a command, not an axis).

Right Reverser (button 29) should be assigned to "Throttle 2 Decrease" (again, not an axis).

Now when you pull the throttles into the reverse gates, the buttons will continuously send throttle decrease commands which results in reverse thrust.  Afterwards, moving the throttles just slightly forward of the gates will re-engage the normal forward thrust axes.  This is what works for me.

• Like 2

Thank you for your responses - really appreciate them.

Just referring to MadDog's post, I had already set the reverser gates as buttons (29&30) and that works perfectly.

I had also ensured that the dual axis is selected and 'throttle hardware has reverser axis' is unselected.

The appearance of my throttles within the aircraft varies i.e. they do not rest at idle regardless as to what I try and do by moving my actual physical throttle. Now the interesting point to note is that when I move my physical throttles from idle to max, I can see on the EFB - throttle setup option - that the raw input values for throttle levers No1 and No2 are moving just fine - they both go from -491 through to 16384 - yet there is no movement whatsoever of the throttle in the ATR - strange eh?

That said, in one of the many ATR video tutorials I have watched, a similar experience was noted by the presenter, who could also see the raw input values moving - but not the throttles in the ATR - which he put down to a UI glitch.

Although, I have been unable to get the ATR throttle to the idle position - it did happen when I selected the 'ready to taxi' option - so I took this opportunity to recalibrate the throttles and all appeared to go well. Having moved the physical throttles forward - which worked OK - I returned them to idle - but the ATR throttles did not return to idle - they sat in the green area at 47% - and would not move any further backwards - unless I engaged reverse thrust.

My throttles work fine on the PMDG 737 series and the Fenix A320 - so from my experience - I am beginning to think this is a bug - but more than happy to try any further suggestions.

Thank again all for your help thus far.

Edited by SquadronLeader

George Westwell

I have set the EFB setup menu to dual throttle and unticked reverser axis. I have assigned Throttle 1 decrease and Throttle 2 decrease commands to joystick buttons. When I press the buttons all seems good and visually the throttles move backwards and the reversers engage as they should but it makes no difference to the aircraft's behavior which still crawls forward on release of the parking brake. Does your aircraft actually move backwards using this method MadDog?

The x55 has a slider which is an on off switch, that works really well for reversers as it send the signal repeatedly until moved back when the throttle idle takes over again. thanks for the heads up on the decrease throttle command.

19 hours ago, MadDog said:

Since the reverser gates on the Warthog are buttons, make sure that "Throttle hardware has reverser axis" is UNSELECTED in the EFB setup (it's directly below the Dual Axis option - which should be selected).  You will probably also need to re-calibrate the throttles in the EFB after making this change.

Next assign the Warthog Throttle reverse buttons correctly in the Sim's controller options:

Left Reverser (button 30) should be assigned to "Throttle 1 Decrease" (it's a command, not an axis).

Right Reverser (button 29) should be assigned to "Throttle 2 Decrease" (again, not an axis).

Now when you pull the throttles into the reverse gates, the buttons will continuously send throttle decrease commands which results in reverse thrust.  Afterwards, moving the throttles just slightly forward of the gates will re-engage the normal forward thrust axes.  This is what works for me.

Thanks for this tip!  Works great!

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

On 5/2/2023 at 2:06 AM, SquadronLeader said:

Now the interesting point to note is that when I move my physical throttles from idle to max, I can see on the EFB - throttle setup option - that the raw input values for throttle levers No1 and No2 are moving just fine - they both go from -491 through to 16384 - yet there is no movement whatsoever of the throttle in the ATR - strange eh?

That's odd... you don't appear to be getting the full range of your throttle axes... with mine, the EFB depicts the full travel: -16384 to 16384.  After calibration, my Idle is -16384, Notch is around 9900, and Ramp is around 14300.  I think you mentioned earlier that you were using FSUIPC... I wonder if that may be causing your problem?  I haven't used it in a long time; but I think I recall that FSUIPC intercepts the raw hardware inputs, applies curves, filters, etc. and sends its own values to the sim... I wonder if it's restricting the range for some reason?  Not saying that's necessarily the culprit; but it's the only thing I can think of.  You may want to try the ATR with FSUIPC disabled and see how things go.  If that solves it, maybe try creating a new profile in FSUIPC just for the ATR that uses completely linear curves for the throttles.

14 hours ago, MadDog said:

That's odd... you don't appear to be getting the full range of your throttle axes... with mine, the EFB depicts the full travel: -16384 to 16384.  After calibration, my Idle is -16384, Notch is around 9900, and Ramp is around 14300.  I think you mentioned earlier that you were using FSUIPC... I wonder if that may be causing your problem?  I haven't used it in a long time; but I think I recall that FSUIPC intercepts the raw hardware inputs, applies curves, filters, etc. and sends its own values to the sim... I wonder if it's restricting the range for some reason?  Not saying that's necessarily the culprit; but it's the only thing I can think of.  You may want to try the ATR with FSUIPC disabled and see how things go.  If that solves it, maybe try creating a new profile in FSUIPC just for the ATR that uses completely linear curves for the throttles.

Hi MadDog. I had already removed the profile I had created within FSUIPC for the ATR - but taking on board your point, I disabled it completely. When the ATR spawns up on the chosen runway, the ATR throttle is set at idle - so I take this opportunity to calibrate it in the EFB. At this stage I get Idle at or around -16000, Notch at or around 9000 and Ramp at or around 15000. Validate and close the settings for the two throttles. When I then return my Thrustmaster throttle to its Idle position (from the Ramp position I used for set up), the ATR throttle 'sticks' at 47% and will not return to the Idle position. Really weird and frustrating as I really love the ATR.

If there are any further suggestions - please post in this thread

George Westwell

Weird indeed.  I'm pretty much out of suggestions.  Make sure to press Okay instead of Cancel to exit the calibration screen (I think Okay is what actually saves the settings.  It probably doesn't make a difference; but maybe make sure the gust lock is disabled when calibrating.  Lastly, check the sim's Sensitivity settings for the Warthog Throttles and make sure your curves are linear and you don't have any odd Extremity Dead Zones.  That's about all I've got... hope you're able to work things out.  Good luck!

Got it working.

Settings as follows:
MSFS Control Options / Throttle. Set up separate profile using the profile manager. Make sure no conflicting bindings for trottle functions remain.
Power management / Trottle.
Throttle 1 Axis (reverse axis checked). Assign and Validate your left WH throttle handle as normal.

Throttle 1 Decrease. When selecting the input, lift the left WH throttle handle over the "gate" and pull back to the reverser position. MSFS will recognise this as Button 30. Lift the HW handle back to the normal position, out of the physical detent. Make sure that Action Type says "On Press".
Throttle 1 Cut. Repeat the same as for Throttle 1 Decrease. MSFS will warn that the button is used on other axis, disregard that warning. Validate! Now repeat the same thing again, but this time ONLY change Action Type to On Release. Validate. Go back in and verify that "On Release" "sticks" because MSFS has a habit of reverting back to On Press. That´s why you first validate with On Press, THEN change to On Release.

Throttle 2, repeat as above, but this time the Button will be identified as number 29.

Double check that On Release has not been changed :)

ATR EFB Options:
Dual Axis selected. Throttle hardware has reverser axis deselected. This got selected for me a few times, so validate this!
I moved the throttles and Set the Ramp to approx 14558, Notch 12500 and Idle is -16384.

This will have your throttle go back to the Idle position when fully closed. When you lift the throttles and pull them back Reversers will be engaged. When you lift them back forward out of the physical detent you will see the ATR finger guards be lifted, short delay and then the ATR  throttles will move out of Reverse into Idle. Just leave the physical handles alone and the ATR throttles will end up in the correct Idle position. :)

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden