Sign in to follow this  
jrw4

April 29 PMDG update: 737, XBox, EFB, 777

5 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Maybe the difference is that you did not critisise PMDG or RSR himself, I don't know.

I pretty much complained that they had over a year to fix the Gyropilot-GPS functioning, and it is still broken, so I stopped flying it...

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, jrw4 said:

Similar perhaps but probably not identical. As noted in many posts, PMDG has announced support for their its products on both PCs and Xbox consoles. This has apparently created a series of speedbumps that are not present for those aircraft designed to operate in the Windows environment only. FBW and Fenix have not been released even on the Marketplace for that matter, and I recall reading somewhere that they won't be. 

The deployment of PMDG on Xbox is entirely unrelated to WASM - JS communication. So it’s a moot point as deploying on Xbox and getting JS - WASM communication work are very separate matters. 

Just to specify PMDG could’ve solved their WASM-JS issues and deployed the EFB with little to no issue, and still encounter issues deploying on Xbox, if that’s clears things up.

22 minutes ago, Lucky38i said:

Just to specify PMDG could’ve solved their WASM-JS issues and deployed the EFB with little to no issue, and still encounter issues deploying on Xbox, if that’s clears things up.

Agree completely, and that was my point. Thanks for clarifying. It is their unique commitment to create a product that will run on both systems that creates the challenge.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

5 hours ago, Keirtt said:

at what point are we allowed to say anything?

You're "allowed" to say anything any time you want as long as the mods don't tell you to stop.

There's kind of a general societal problem where "disagreement" gets conflated with "censorship." You get to have your opinion. When you express it publicly, others get to have and express opposing opinions. 

I happen to agree with the people who say PMDG is entirely too persnickety on their forums. The bans are absurd, the requirement to use our whole names is absurd (that doesn't soften discourse, there are plenty of literal word not allowed running around spewing hate speech on the evening news and giving their full names while doing it - all the name requirement does is make it easier for nutters to dox you if they decide they don't like what you said and want to try to get you fired over it). 

I like their products. I buy their products, but I don't participate in their forums. I might have a different attitude toward the company in general if they did things like refusing to help when their products don't work, but then I've never seen their products not work. Elite makers often have draconian policies in place. Ferrari famously makes you sign contracts that you won't do various things with the car you bought and theoretically own, and they even sued Deadmaus (and won) for putting a cat anime picture on his Ferrari that he bought and owned. In that context, PMDG's silliness is.. Well.. Pretty tame, and their airliners easily stand with the best products offered for flight simulation, so I buy them. I can ignore the eye roll-worthy stuff and just go fly my pretend Boeings. 😉

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

21 hours ago, g-liner said:

Ah ok, presumably the PMDG FMC can give Vref though? It’s more for the take off speeds like V1 VR V2 etc?

I'm not at my PC at the moment but as I recall the V speeds for takeoff are on page 3 of the Init section in the FMC. You just click on the suggested values and they are displayed on the PFD. Takeoff trim is there as well which you dial in manually.

Vref is in a different section of the FMC.

• Like 1

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

26 minutes ago, JSmith2112 said:

I'm not at my PC at the moment but as I recall the V speeds for takeoff are on page 3 of the Init section in the FMC. You just click on the suggested values and they are displayed on the PFD. Takeoff trim is there as well which you dial in manually.

Vref is in a different section of the FMC.

It is all in the FMC including economy cruise, for step climbing. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

vRef is set by pressing the "Init ref" key (top left, right above "Menu"),  entering the landing weight (found by subtracting fuel shown at destination airport from current "Fuel Qty" on the Prog page and then subtracting the result from the landing weight that appears at the top left when you press Init Ref), and pressing the soft key next to the landing flap configuration that you want 2x (once to put in scratch pad, once to enter it into where it says "FLAP/SPD").

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

Perhaps a bit more information might help with the Vref for approach....

The landing data can be input on the INIT REF page once airborne. This same page is used to input takeoff data and calculate the critical t/o V speeds on the ground, but that clears out once you're in the air and the landing data can be input. You do need to select your preferred landing flaps configuration, however, as well as to provide the predicted landing weight,. The latter can be easily calculated by adding the known ZFW (it's the same for the entire flight unless important pieces fall off) to the projected fuel load at the destination airport, which is displayed in real time on the PROG page. Most often, I just use the estimated LW from the SimBrief flight briefing. It's close enough for flight sim, at least in my view.

You also need to input the additive wind correction to get the approach speed for ILS approaches. See the following link for further information.

https://www.theairlinepilots.com/forumarchive/b737/b737landingvrefspeed.php

Maybe someone has a better reference for how to make this calculation.

Hope this helps.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

32 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

Perhaps a bit more information might help with the Vref for approach....

The landing data can be input on the INIT REF page once airborne. This same page is used to input takeoff data and calculate the critical t/o V speeds on the ground, but that clears out once you're in the air and the landing data can be input. You do need to select your preferred landing flaps configuration, however, as well as to provide the predicted landing weight,. The latter can be easily calculated by adding the known ZFW (it's the same for the entire flight unless important pieces fall off) to the projected fuel load at the destination airport, which is displayed in real time on the PROG page. Most often, I just use the estimated LW from the SimBrief flight briefing. It's close enough for flight sim, at least in my view.

You also need to input the additive wind correction to get the approach speed for ILS approaches. See the following link for further information.

https://www.theairlinepilots.com/forumarchive/b737/b737landingvrefspeed.php

Maybe someone has a better reference for how to make this calculation.

Hope this helps.

On the approach Ref page, the gross weight including fuel is tracked. along with recommended Vref for flap setting. Everytime you access that page, the GW is updated according for the fuel burn. 

51 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

On the approach Ref page, the gross weight including fuel is tracked. along with recommended Vref for flap setting. Everytime you access that page, the GW is updated according for the fuel burn. 

Yes, indeed, but that indicated gross weight will only be the same as the landing weight close to the arrival airport. But if you wait until the last 15 minutes or so of the flight to pull down the Vref, it would be close enough for most purposes. One still needs to provide the wind correction manually in any case.

We'll usually bug landing flaps (thus setting red speed) about 30 mins out, during the arrival briefing and before the descent check.  It's typically not worth updating after this; speeds won't change more than a knot.  Now in changing conditions we'll definitely update the wind additive as necessary on approach as that can easily have a meaningful impact on approach speed.

Andrew Crowley

Yeah in Boeings you generally set Vref now as part of the “descent procedure” so you calculate it and enter the weight before TOD. 

‘Boeing philosophy is to do a procedure then the associated checklist so setting Vref is part of the descent procedure and the subsequent check you’ve done it is in the descent checklist. 

if you’re doing a G/A or circuits or just in the sim doing multiple approaches you can do an abridged descent procedure and just look at the current weight Vref as that’s near enough to your next landing. 

Edited by g-liner

On 5/2/2023 at 2:46 AM, eslader said:

Elite makers often have draconian policies in place. Ferrari famously makes you sign contracts that you won't do various things with the car you bought and theoretically own, and they even sued Deadmaus (and won) for putting a cat anime picture on his Ferrari that he bought and owned. In that context, PMDG's silliness is.. Well.. Pretty tame, and their airliners easily stand with the best products offered for flight simulation, so I buy them. I can ignore the eye roll-worthy stuff and just go fly my pretend Boeings. 😉

You're seriously comparing PMDG, the maker of gamey toy pixel "planes" to Ferrari? Now, that is a comparison worthy of an eye roll. I do agree with your other comments.

32 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

You're seriously comparing PMDG, the maker of gamey toy pixel "planes" to Ferrari? Now, that is a comparison worthy of an eye roll. I do agree with your other comments.

That‘s exactly how an analogy works, you change the category to make the core concept more clear („PMDG is to flight simmers what Ferrari is to drivers“). I guess you don‘t really enjoy literature either, do you?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

That‘s exactly how an analogy works, you change the category to make the core concept more clear („PMDG is to flight simmers what Ferrari is to drivers“). I guess you don‘t really enjoy literature either, do you?

Try again.