Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Review of Shockwave's "3d Lights"

I throughly enjoyed reading the review Alan wrote. Indeed, they are an extremely clever and neat bit of eye candy that - in most cases - adds a great deal of missing ambience to the sim.However, he also has made the same erroneous assumption many others have made regarding them...He notes: "However there is one last fly in the ointment with this otherwise rosy state of affairs. Switching to an external view and swiveling the Bell Jet Ranger

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest JSPuonti

After reading the review, I think you've misunderstood what Alan meant. As he wrote next to the clarifying screenshot:"Here we can see that despite the fact that I have trained the Jet Ranger.

Guest JSPuonti

There's always the possibility that I don't and if someone can explain to me how I'm mistaken that'd be great. At this time I do however believe I undertand what Bill said.What Bill says about the "pool of light" is absolutely correct (AFAIK) - however that is not what Alan (as far as I understood his review) was concerned about. So the only mistake here is that Alan and Bill talk about two different things :)Alan does mention the "pool of light" in his review, but only as proof that the landing light has indeed been turned downwards (even though Shockwave's 3D effect does not point that way).But, like I said, I'm open to clarification if I've been mistaken.

They both are talking two different things like you said.One is talking about the direction of the lights that is being displayed. the Other is talking about the effects of the lights on third objects. Two different things entirely.And I liked your graphic illustration.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Ok well I appologize for my comment. I guess to my understanding Bill was saying the reason the light as you showed in your illustration does not and cannot move is becuase there is no room within the specification for it to do so, only the angle by which the texture is applied to the ground moves. So while shockwave can paste on their illusion of projected light, where projected light does not exist, they cannot in any way aim that illusion as such a function is not part of the sim. So basically it functions exactly as it should. I guess I just thought you were illustrating something Bill is very well aware of, something that was already implied by his message.

Guest Rick Baldwin

Trying to follow this discussion reminds me yet once again that there are many many people in this world alot smarter than I am. :)-Rick----------- My System -----------P4 @ 2.53 GHz / 1GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 6800XT, 256MB / Windows XP Home:)

>After reading the review, I think you've misunderstood what>Alan meant. As he wrote next to the clarifying screenshot:>>"Here we can see that despite the fact that I have trained the>Jet Ranger.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator