Sign in to follow this  
Sims Smith

X-Plane 12.05R1 Release notes

To get back on topic about the performance of XP12, does anybody know if the plugin "3JFPS" still works in XP12 ? From my understanding it's not fully compatible anymore and might create issues (there's even a popup displayed to warn the users...)?

I have experienced this with the previous XP12 version, where that plugin was causing a complete LOD and texture reload of nearby objects every second or so 😕 A bit sad, this addon used to give me excellent results back in XP11. Anybody knows an alternative for XP12 ?

Edited by Daube

1 hour ago, Daube said:

A lot more objects (for a give area -- Density) I'm not sure.

A lot farther, yes, that's a fact. The other sim has quite a limited display distance for scenery and autogen objects indeed.

The pics are very clear in showing a difference in object density. Even a bit to XP's detriment in that areas that don't have buildings/trees IRL are populated with both in XP.

Also note the tessellation of distant geometry in fs2020: trees/buildings appearing as single pyramids at the edges of the LOD limits. XP is drawing more triangles overall. It always has. The FPS differences are not surprising.

Tessellation is certainly an interesting way of controlling the triangle budget and letting you draw more triangles up close to the camera, but seeing the geometry literally morph as one is flying is distracting. Right up there with the TAA ghosting that shows up in clouds, shadows, AI, etc.

• Upvote 2

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

36 minutes ago, Daube said:

texture reload of nearby objects every second or so

I would imagine that if this isn't broken already, it will be soon, given the changes coming to VRAM paging and shader ordering.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

3 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

I would imagine that if this isn't broken already, it will be soon, given the changes coming to VRAM paging and shader ordering.

Well this is bad news for me and my outdated hardware, I guess 😕

At the moment, I struggle a bit to get good performance in VR in XP12. Of course performance in 2D is ok, but in VR I have to lower my parameters quite a bit. 3JFPS used to do that for me quite well back in XP11, but now in XP12 I'll have to find a workaround. Thanks for the confirmation anyways 🙂

Just now, Daube said:

Well this is bad news for me and my outdated hardware, I guess

I don't see this hurting anyone.

2 minutes ago, Daube said:

I struggle a bit to get good performance in VR in XP12

As do I. I keep wanting to turn sliders up, but it does take a toll on the FPS.

8 hours ago, Brian Mackie said:

msparks loves to provide screenshots showing his mach 2 frames per second, which impresses many folks. Including me! But he never tells us just how he does this.

I regularly share any and all information I find - much more so than those complaining about X-Planes performance.

I use FC37, because winblows is a garbage

embed.php?i=1806226-AR-WINLINUX713&sha=3

There is nothing Laminar can do about windows being garbage, it just is, the best they can do is make X-Plane available for better OS's, which they do.

Enqueue long argument about all the scenarios where windows being garbage isn't as obvious.

I'm on a nvidia GPU because AMD is garbage

There is only so much Laminar can do about AMD being garbage, and they have invested a significant amount of time to work around it

https://developer.x-plane.com/2023/02/addressing-plugin-flickering/

enqueue long argument about how AMD and anything more than 25fps is "fine"

I poured an insane number of hours into making sure the 747 systems are properly multithreaded and shared all of that with everybody

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/209883-xtlua-parallel-lua-for-complex-aircraft-systems/

enqueue long argument about how X-Plane isn't multithreaded, even when it is actually single threaded 3rd party code nuking performance, oh and of course

S7GOugI.png

SRC: https://www.thresholdx.net/news/ya7474

I use Ortho, because of course a single simple tile is massively more per formant than complex 2D autogen.

enqueue long argument about how spending $50 on a large SDD and waiting for Ortho to download is too much to invest in flight sim.

For XP11 I had a horrid array of settings hacks to remove the various settings that nuked performance.

For XP12.05, Linux gamemoderun and compositing redirection is almost enough to never fall below 60fps 2D on any aircraft with performant systems on my now aging AMD5900X/RTX3070 at default max settings and VR at medium settings

enqueue numerous complaints about the performance of XPlane 12 on 10 year old intel laptops and equivalent hardware on windows they bought 6 months ago.

So, generally, I just don't make a big deal about it.

enqueue long arguments about performance in 2D at 4K

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

Same location, same FOV:

The comparison is fair but MSFS scenery looks better, I don't know why. You can tell that MSFS has better autogen, meaning you don't see grids of trees or buildings but rather realistic treelines, rivers, roads etc. Also trees are much "fatter" in MSFS, filling the scenery.

Abysmal in what way?  I get very silky smooth performance in XP12.  There again, I'm not in love with FPS numbers, just smoothness.

When you drop to 25-30 FPS it's anything but smooth.

Nothing to do with ground texture, the lighting is awful.

What a bunch of negativity. For once you could say something positive about the sim. Unbelievable. 

There is only so much Laminar can do about AMD being garbage, and they have invested a significant amount of time to work around it

It's funny that I never ever had ANY issues with the other games that I played, including the other sim. X-Plane is the only one with these issues. 

• Like 1

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

4 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I get very smooth performance in XP12 and have done so for a while.  Must be hardware/plugin/setting issue.

MS2020 running three 75" screens @ 2K and one screen at 4K nice and smooth. I tried this in XP12 and it was a disaster, unflyable @ 4K on one screen and stutters/flickers @ 2K.

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL
  • Like 1

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

1 hour ago, bogdansrb said:

The comparison is fair but MSFS scenery looks better, I don't know why.

I looked at the two screenshots again side by side. Let's say we agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, bogdansrb said:

Also trees are much "fatter" in MSFS, filling the scenery.

Trees dimensions look decidedly different between the two sims. I wonder whether X-Plane trees are to small, or the other sim has unrealistically oversized trees. It must be one or the other.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

49 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

I tried this in XP12 and it was a disaster, unflyable @ 4K on one screen and stutters/flickers @ 2K.

Have you tried this?

H

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

18 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Have you tried this?

H

Hi,

Looks like Mike is using one computer for his testing. I get stutters running four copies of XP12 on four computers, each have their own cpu/gpu. I do not suffer from fame rate loss as Mike does here using one system. Yet I still get stutters or flickers that I just can't get rid of anymore. It was running like butter awhile back, but that was a few updates ago.

If XP12 ran like butter, I'd never would of looked elsewhere. 

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

3 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Looks like Mike is using one computer for his testing. I get stutters running four copies of XP12 on four computers, each have their own cpu/gpu.

That's interesting. Do you also have stutters when running only 1 copy on 1 computer on 1 4K screen? Depending if it happens or not, it could help pinpoint where's the issue.

5 minutes ago, Murmur said:

That's interesting. Do you also have stutters when running only 1 copy on 1 computer on 1 4K screen? Depending if it happens or not, it could help pinpoint where's the issue.

Hi,

I was thinking the same thing to try and isolate it to the network, but I see no difference between the network @ 2.5 and one computer/screen setup. The flickers seem to start when they were having AMD issues they were working on, all the while Nvidias performance my end got worse.

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

that's the way to do it: 

99% bug free from day 1!

spacer.png

Austin, what are you waiting for?

😄

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

As much sympathy as I have for AirSim3D, such a boast is pure hybris and I'd really like to challenge them on that if the 560XL was my cup of tea to warrant the monetary investment.

Edited by Bjoern

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days