Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Working Title fixing 787 and 747 in AAU2!

I think the absolute funniest thing about this argument is that even if some consumer sim or the other were being used in a Level-D scenario, its literal only purpose is to serve as a scenery generator.

Just read that again. A scenery generator. You're arguing about what the best scenery generator is. Nothing else. No avionics, no flight dynamics, nothing.

Data-pack level-D stuff comes as closed loop (sometimes binary) software. It doesn't interface or talk to the sim in any way/shape/form short of using it as a visual generator. Not even the flight dynamics, which again, is closed loop and injected. It's all its own thing. 

Data-pack software _can_ be used with whatever sim you like, even MSFS, if you're willing to pay $$$$$$ for it, and a software team to integrate it (if they even sell you a data-pack, which many won't if you're not accredited in some way) - but it simply won't be certified for training as even the visual/scenery generator has a number of targets (lighting and such) it must hit before it is certified, which I do not believe any of your home desktop sims are capable of doing. Not to level-D standard anyway. But make no mistake, they can be used for simpler training, and can be certified for other stuff in the fixed-base world. 

All the level-D stuff I've seen is running some custom solution or the other. Unity or something like that. 

• Like 17

Aamir Thacker

11 minutes ago, Aamir said:

You're arguing about what the best scenery generator is.

Not even the best, just the one that happened to get that contract. LR have a long history of commercial contracts so it's hardly surprising, or even notable.

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

5 hours ago, blingthinger said:

Then put yer glasses on! But also, why did you respond?

First person to post the time stamp here. It's not that hard. Well...for some it obviously is....

I've already explained to you that no desktop video game is being used in any sort of combination with a level D simulator. Aamir has further elaborated on that    You're simply incorrect here, and seem unwilling to admit it.  Why?

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Andrew Crowley

Well...  enough of this pointless off-topic arguing.  It is best not to respond to this kind of baiting. 

I am looking forward to the new B747, B787 AAU.  Do we really get to test them in the beta next week?

ATR update with another tutorial video today as well.  Good times for flight-simming for sure!  :smile:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Matt's post yesterday from WT's #progress discord channel... some HUD and autoland action:

Matt (nishmaster) [Z-5] : Stabilized and ready to proceed, early morning 787-10 HUD landing at KLAX ILS 24R

spacer.png

• Like 11

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, lwt1971 said:

Matt's post yesterday from WT's #progress discord channel... some HUD and autoland action:

Matt (nishmaster) [Z-5] : Stabilized and ready to proceed, early morning 787-10 HUD landing at KLAX ILS 24R

That looks pretty neat!

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Image in quoted post removed.
  • Like 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Yes looking completely realistic, I just hope they’ve included the TOGA reference line, it’s a very important feature which was sadly missing from the QW 787.

• Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

4 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Do we really get to test them in the beta next week?

This is the most important question in a bizarrely derailed thread - do MS ship the updated aircraft in these betas?

It's just an Aircraft/Avionics update isn't it? so it would be odd not to?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EGLD said:

This is the most important question in a bizarrely derailed thread - do MS ship the updated aircraft in these betas?

It's just an Aircraft/Avionics update isn't it? so it would be odd not to?

In the upcoming beta, we will have access to everything WT has deemed ready for testing so yes, we will be able to fly the 747 and 787 with the swanky new avionics. As the beta progresses they will continue to add features and fix bugs/make adjustments based on our feedback.

• Like 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

3 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

Looks pretty good, although the position of the AOA limit is a bit suspect. 

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

3 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

This looks amazing! I can't wait to try out the 787 by Working Title when AAU2 is officially released!

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
  • Like 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Gents, if you’re going to quote the post with the screenshot please remove the image from your reply.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Nice but it's no match for a fully featured plane with an EFB, chocks, opening doors, cabin et al. Three still a place for a fully featured study level 787 and 747.

2 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Nice but it's no match for a fully featured plane with an EFB, chocks, opening doors, cabin et al. Three still a place for a fully featured study level 787 and 747.

There's definitely a place for higher fidelity versions of these birds along with more bells & whistles, but it's also safe to say that a non-trivial portion of MSFS users who have editions of the sim which will benefit from AAU2 will *not* be inclined to purchase such products if/when they do come on the market. That's just par for the course in the flight sim business and end-user market, and I suspect the pricing of those products will reflect that accordingly. Someone like PMDG releasing their initial 737-700 at a time when there were no viable 737 options and only very very few high fidelity aircraft out there at the time for MSFS (just the Maddog I believe?) faced a different market situation now from say a QW, releasing their 787 into a market where the premium edition default 787 will have this excellent AAU2 treatment, and with so many other high fidelity birds also available for that matter both for free and for pay.

Avionics wise, it's unprecedented the level of fidelity and complexity we're getting by default in the base sim (i.e. G1000 Nxi, G5000, etc), and WT is aiming for the same level of feature completion and complexity as the Longitude avionics in the 787 update (and given that the 787/747 avionics are simpler than a G5000 I expect them to do a very good job with the 787/747 avionics). As WT have also stated, non-avionics systems in the AAU2 787 will fall inbetween the CJ4 and Longitude quality wise, so there will be an opportunity and a place for a fuller featured 787, but it's up to folks like QW or others to assess the market/needs and pricing given the level of fidelity and quality being poured into the default sim free of charge by MS/Asobo.

I suspect the sales of the future PMDG 747 will also be somewhat impacted but not as much a QW 787, as it still have various features to make it stand out from the default free one which doesn't look to be getting the same level of WT treatment as the default 787 will.

TLDR: What the "higher fidelity" or "fully featured" aircraft payware developers will lose out on are the customers who're satisfied with medium fidelity or high fidelity in certain aspects and not in others, and who would've paid up if that was their *only* way of getting such aircraft, but now won't since the default birds suit their needs. And to compensate for that the payware devs will probably just adjust their prices accordingly 🙂

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 5

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

13 hours ago, Aamir said:

its literal only purpose is to serve as a scenery generator.

That's precisely what I said at the beginning. Abrams declared that 'Sobo the Clown's flight sim product (augmented by Working Title) is the highest-fidelity IFR sim out there for consumer use. The highest-measurable fidelity we can get to on a general level is Level D. In this case, the visibility, lighting, and SDK are what's driving the adoption of other sim on said 747 platform. Other sim developer has publicly mentioned it. Youtube. '22 Oshkosh. Presentation by other sim dev. You are wrong.

'Sobo the Clown's sim is not being used on any Level D platform that I'm aware of. Are you?

I'm not goading. I'm just stating the facts. And I won't post the links here because Abrams and Mods generally prefer it that way.

12 hours ago, scotchegg said:

or even notable

Notable or not for you folks, it does indeed prove Abram's pom pom tossing to be a fair bit of hot air.

What is most remarkable about all the fuss generated by my one little post is that it got ANY fuss at all.... I post less-than-cheerleading comments here and always get ignored. Which is perfectly fine by me. Why did this one trigger so much fuss???

Edited by blingthinger

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...