Sign in to follow this  
cel70

Any way of changing VC cockpit glass graphics?

I have collected a pretty large collection of addon airplanes for FS2004, some payware, but most freeware. I must confess, I much prefer VC cockpits to have some way of graphically portraying glass textures. Some have reflections, like the Captain SIm and Carenado addons. Some add a little dirt, scatches etc on the VC glass area. And some addons make the glass area  a  little more muted in colors, or a bit darker, to simulate looking through thick glass.

Unfortunately many of what I consider great addons have no discernable glass texture at all, it looks like the pilot is sitting behind metal frames, completely open to the outside world. It's annoying to me, it's a  hindrance to the immersion factor.

So is it possible to change the graphics anyway, in a simple way like in Paint Shop? Simply darkening the glass area slightly would be enough for me

cel70,

Some of the glass windscreens (windows) you are referring to, most probably have textures with totally black alpha channels within their frames and which makes them 100% transparent. However, I've often seen that alpha channels can be (a little) less than 100% black and which makes them just that little less transparent.

My (trial and error) method would be to (test) overwrite the completely black part of your black windscreen texture and to replace it with the alpha channel colour from your chosen correctly displaying windscreen textures.

This should all quite easily be possible via the default "Paint" program but some "trial and error" work will be necessary for using the syringe to "suck up" the slightly less transparant alpha channel colour from your source texture and to then empty the "bucket" within the frame of your destination texture.

Don't forget to backup your original textures.

Good luck and regards

Hans