Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Adding a new "location" to FSX question

Guest zelmo

Greetings!I'd like to add a new location to the default FSX scenery. It doesn't need to have any new scenery objects, just a searchable location in the "go to airport" menu. I'll try to explain:There's a place where we go camping every year. I have the GPS coordinates for it. I'd like to be able to start there in a helicopter, or maybe fly "to" it in the ultralight, just for a VFR sight-seeing flight.I can't find any way to do this. The default GPS in each airplane doesn't seem to let me enter end coordinates, and the only way I've found to determine exactly where I am is to pull up the Map mode, which disrupts the flight.Ultimately, I'd like to add a scenery object, maybe just a car or camper, at that location, but that's a second priority.Any suggestions?Thanks,-z-

Guest jshyluk

I think I get you. It's always been a limitation in MSFS that the selectable locations are airports only. You can't select "Eiffel Tower" or "Safeco Field" and be transported directly there.What you can do is this:Start with the aircraft of your choice, on the ground or in the air.Hit SHIFT Z to bring up the line display on the top. This will show your aircraft's latitude and longitude. (Hit SHIFT Z again to cycle the display).Go into MAP mode, and enter in your GPS coordinates. Exit the map.Now your aircraft will be at the location you want. You can fine-tune your location by flying around, or by hitting Y and using Slew Mode. Put your aircraft exactly where you want it.(Optional: pause) Save your flight, and give it a good description. You can load it any time, or even make it your default flight. Your flight will pick up exactly where you left it off. You can change your aircraft to whatever you like. I hope this helps! Out of curiosity, what region are you interested in? It is possible to add objects and do more, but this is the fastest and easiest way I can think of to get you started.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

You can do as Jeff suggests with a saved flight.However you could also make a location called "Zelmo's Campground" as a scenery bgl file, accessible in your Go To Airport menu. You don't necessarily need to put any scenery objects there...If you want further details, ask...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest zelmo

Jeff and Rhett:Thanks, I'll try Jeff's suggestion, but in the end, what I really want to do is to be able to navigate TO the campground from any location, preferable by programming in a "direct" route on the GPS.Ultimately, I'd like to be able to place a scenery object at the exact campground location to make it easier to identify visually when my flight gets close -- maybe a building or airport beacon, or even a modest runway, but I'd have to find it first.Rhett, if you can point me to a tutorial on adding scenery objects (even default objects from the library), that'd be great.Thanks again, both ...BTW, my real name's Doug. Zelmo is just a handle.-z-

Ok dougFirst off Do you have the FSX SDK installed? It comes with FSX Deluxe only.Also what are the latitude and longitude of the camp site?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB