Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

Where are my screenshots?

Guest rf

Can someone please tell me where FSX keeps the screenshots and how i make them into thumbnails? Thanks.

When you do a screenshot (Print screen key) it gets saved to the windows clipboard.Then you have to use a program to get it from the clipboard.The file I use to do thumbnails is :dxtbmpx.exe Think I download from the library here. autothumbnail2.zipIt makes thumbnails which can be used in MSFS.IrFanView program (do google search) can be used to view and save the clipboard snapshot.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

You probably mean if you press "v" ?They go to your Flight Simulator X files in username/my documents/ should be in there

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Calb

Screenshots created with the FSX built-in capture feature ("v") are sent to My DocumentsMy PicturesFlight Simulator X FilesCal

I did not know that. Thanks for the info. on the "v" key.The Print Screen key on my keyboard "seems" to do the same thing except it moves the screenshot to the clipboard. Then, I open IrFanview program, select edit, paste .. and there it is.Guess this method is not as good if you want it "saved". But I just do File/Save in IrFanview if I like the picture and want it saved.Maybe the "v" key has other advantages .. don't know.>You probably mean if you press "v" ?>>They go to your Flight Simulator X files in username/my>documents/ should be in there

Best Regards,

Hi Vaughan,Using the 'v' key allows the user to take multiple screenshots in rapid succession. Using the 'PrtScrn' button requires the normal paste action into a graphics program which is time consuming to say the least.Regards,Jim KarnNOTHING is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Yep, that sound like a very good reason to use the "v" key!Does it work in MSFS9 also?Can it be used to take screenshots when not in MSFS .. like of your spreadsheet, desktop or whatever else in Windows XP?>Hi Vaughan,>>Using the 'v' key allows the user to take multiple screenshots>in rapid succession. Using the 'PrtScrn' button requires the>normal paste action into a graphics program which is time>consuming to say the least.>>Regards,>Jim Karn>>NOTHING is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Best Regards,

To make a screenshot into a thumbnail you open your picture in the Windows Paint program and select the part of it you want with the selector tool. You'll want to make the selection 2x1 so that is will have the same proportions as all the other thumbnails, the actual size doesn't matter. Then you save the picture as thumbnail.jpg in the texture folder of the aircraft it was meant for.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

After using the selector tool to select the part you want in the thumbnail how do you get rid of all else that was in the original picture .. screenshot .bmp?I tried copy / paste but that did not get rid of all the junk I did not want.I tried exiting paint pgm then opening paint again, then pasted my selected image .. it worked .. is that the correct way?>To make a screenshot into a thumbnail you open your picture>in the Windows Paint program and select the part of it you>want with the selector tool. You'll want to make the selection>2x1 so that is will have the same proportions as all the other>thumbnails, the actual size doesn't matter. Then you save the>picture as thumbnail.jpg in the texture folder of the aircraft>it was meant for.>>Mike.

Best Regards,

Hi Vaughan,First you copy your selection, then you select New from the File menu, and then Paste your selection. Also you'll need to make the New file smaller than the part of the picture you selected, otherwise you'll have unwanted white space. To do that you go into the Image/Attributes dialogue and set any small size such as 100x50.You'll want to save it as a .jpg, .bmp is another file type which is not used for thumbnails.I hope this is not too confusing for you.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Mike,Thanks for the follow up.I did it the long way.Your's is much better. Works great!Thanks a'lot.Have a g'day>Hi Vaughan,>>First you copy your selection, then you select New from the>File menu, and then Paste your selection. Also you'll need to>make the New file smaller than the part of the picture you>selected, otherwise you'll have unwanted white space. To do>that you go into the Image/Attributes dialogue and set any>small size such as 100x50.>>You'll want to save it as a .jpg, .bmp is another file type>which is not used for thumbnails.>>I hope this is not too confusing for you.>>Mike.

Best Regards,