Sign in to follow this  
FBW737

I'm done FlightSim.to

51 minutes ago, techman said:

The problem that every marketplace (and even FS.to is one) has is that there is no quality assurance behind it. Especially fs.to, which is actively deleting bad reviews even if evidence is shown, is not the best place for getting addons. Some may work, some others don´t, some produces conflicts with installed software, some are breaking installed software (e.g. liveries for Fenix that "destroy" the clickspots, as stated by Fenix themselves) etc.

So in my opinion fs.to is nothing more than a marketing platform. Yes, there are good addons out there, but a couple of them lead to (unnecessary) conflicts with MSFS and cause support-trouble.

Lemme clarify this. You get the largest selection ever of excellent freeware, the access is free, the user interface is extremely friendly and you are p*ssed off 'cause a Fenix livery that you didn't pay for, muted some clickspots in the Fenix. Is that it ? Did I understand well ?  You think that FSTO should check the compatibility of  thousands of freeware they put online so you don't have the utmost displeasure to have a disabled clickspot once in a while , for free of course ? 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Flightsim.to even has some less known functions. You can add wishes to a wishlist for freeware you would like to see being done. I added my home-FBO a year or so ago, a few others voted for it and it was modeled in good quality with some lovely detail a couple of months later. Sent the maker a donation, of course.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

11 hours ago, FBW737 said:

Anyway, I've just tried to update some freeware of flightsim.to and I get a message saying Turn of your Adblocker.

I use Chrome with Ghostery. I don't remember if I had FS.to whitelisted, but I never got these messages. I'll check tonight, but I'm sure it's whitelisted.

3 hours ago, edpatino said:

You can also use the Opera browser.

I was a die-hard Opera user until version 12, when they started to be a Chrome copycat (and dropped all the functionality that set Opera apart). From then I went to Firefox and several of its forks, until...

3 hours ago, Jure said:

some years ago I discovered Vivaldi and been using it ever since

I used it for some years. However, since I'm an Android user, the integration between devices was too good to let pass. Vivaldi had a similar integration, but I had a couple of issues with it that sent me running to Chrome. I may give it a try later...   

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

50 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Lemme clarify this. You get the largest selection ever of excellent freeware, the access is free, the user interface is extremely friendly and you are p*ssed off 'cause a Fenix livery that you didn't pay for, muted some clickspots in the Fenix. Is that it ? Did I understand well ?  You think that FSTO should check the compatibility of  thousands of freeware they put online so you don't have the utmost displeasure to have a disabled clickspot once in a while , for free of course ? 

I don´t say they should check it. I just say they don´t check it and therefore its a "fire&forget" for the guys at flightsim.to while the user that downloaded the stuff has to fiddle around problems that a downloaded freeware can cause on the users system. 

I'm not saying they should check it, I'm just saying they don't check it. The user who downloads freeware from flightsim.to takes a risk that is not covered by flightsim.to. This is a statement, not a request. It should only be aware to all parties involved. One has no claim to completeness of the software there, to compatibility certainly not, and if bad reviews are deleted also no system, which comes even close to a quality control.

But in the age of fake reviews on Amazon, everyone is certainly aware of that. All this is nothing new.

Edited by techman

Topic Executive Summary: Every browser works if permissions are set up properly! Computer experiences are never 100% perfect. In the game of life you win some and you lose some. There are always work arounds to become satisfied!

• Like 2

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

20 minutes ago, techman said:

But in the age of fake reviews on Amazon, everyone is certainly aware of that. All this is nothing new.

It is the same for any freeware library including Avsim. They all check for viruses and then  you are on your own. How could they do otherwise ? But in the almost 500 freeware I downloaded, I had only two issues, airports in the Himalayas non compatible with the OrbX mesh. Never heard of a freeware causing problems to the user system. One can paralyse the access to the sim or cause CTD but  is easily circumvented.

Yes, we are in a day and age when you have to use some critical thinking in online transactions... and take risk 😉. The risk is minimal by the way.Not happy, speaking of Amazon you get your money back and speaking of FSTO  you just delete the faulty addon.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 hours ago, FBW737 said:

What the main alternative to flightsim.to for MSFS Freeware?

Short answer - no.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, techman said:

I don´t say they should check it. I just say they don´t check it and therefore its a "fire&forget" for the guys at flightsim.to while the user that downloaded the stuff has to fiddle around problems that a downloaded freeware can cause on the users system. 

I'm not saying they should check it, I'm just saying they don't check it. The user who downloads freeware from flightsim.to takes a risk that is not covered by flightsim.to. This is a statement, not a request. It should only be aware to all parties involved. One has no claim to completeness of the software there, to compatibility certainly not, and if bad reviews are deleted also no system, which comes even close to a quality control.

I honestly have no idea what your point is.  I have downloaded probably thousands of add-ons from flightsim.to and found maybe 2 that ended up causing conflicts in MSFS and had to be removed.  Fortunately, managing add-ons is easy and painless using the fantastic add-on linker program found on (you guessed it!) flightsim.to.  I feel every bit as comfortable using the free add-ons I find on .TO as I do using payware add-ons purchased elsewhere.  Yes, I think we all understand there is no hand-holding once we download and install those add-ons.  That's kind of the nature of freeware though, isn't it?!  Given there is virtually zero competition, I am actually amazed flightsim.to continues to provide such a fantastic user interface/experience and I really have never given a 2nd thought to the ads.  If you have a better alternative, I think we would all love to find out what it is 😉

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, altenae said:

Some people want everything for free. 

The ads are there to finance the webserver etc etc.

Ads are one thing, annoying but tolerable if need be. The tracking that often comes with it is what I'll block. I get that most people don't care or even know, but when you dig a bit into what's going on there and how companies collect and sell your data it's perverse (Google is basically a big data dealer these days).

Brave browser works just fine with flightsim.to.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

2 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

Another vote for Chrome with adblocker here.  Works great - no ads, no errors.

Brave worked great on FS.to - until 20 minutes ago, and now I'm getting the adblock messages.

Funny thing is I don't have any adblocker extensions running... just Brave shields. Needed to turn those off... I don't like turning those off.

Edited by mspencer
  • Upvote 1

Huh! Strange thing is now it is working again without any adblocker message and I changed nothing. For the record I didn't complain about them asking me to turn off adblocker for Fightsim.to I always had it off for Flightsim.to. What bothered me is that their message said something else on my system was blocking adds form them and I'd have to figure it out or change browser or something to that effect. I neither have the time nor the inclination.

First world problem!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Thats what i call making a storm in a glass of water, and yes worth the effort because theres no other like flightsim.to for MSFS Freeware.

I use Firefox in all my pc's and i disabled adblocker for that site, simple as that.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync