Sign in to follow this  
pastorpilot

Meigs!!

Well I must post. I flew last night at Meigs for the first time in FSX. I was so tired of the reality of Meigs being a grass park, that I went online and searched the file library for Meigs. Two results popped up for FSX, I tried the second one down I believe (I am blocked from the library at work). Upon installing, which was painfully simple, I loaded up the Realair Decathlon at dusk, with ASX weather. AMAZING....Slowly watching Meigs slip away underneath me while I crab for the wind coming off the water, banking toward the city (left pattern, I know it was right pattern at Meigs, but this makes it MORE EXCITING!!) which was displayed in excrutiating detail, and flying the same circuit I flew in 1990 (my first flight in FS on my Packard Bell). On crosswind you can look down (trackir) and see the yachts docked in the harbor. I must have made about 10 trips around the circuit before the sun slowly set. There was sparse traffic coming in and out of the airport but the buildings, taxiways, and runway looked simply amazing. I was not expecting much when I installed this, but was blown away....maybe just a tad more than normal simply because I had Meigs back.So...for those missing it like me, you can grab the same file I did. I will give props to the creator when I get home this evening, as I do not have access to the file library and am on a work computer.enjoy - -danon-

I got the first Meigs file for FSX, but it sounds like this new one is more detailed. I'll have to check it out. Always did love flying there, and its always fun to land a 747 on it!

Absolutely great to re-experience Meigs airport !Also, Chicago does not put as much of a strain on my system as Seattle does...Thanks for sharing !!

Bert

Props are due to the following creators of this fine addition:Pedro Vendeira, Bob Familton, Dick Stellwegthank you so much for you hard work and efforts!Danon -

This was REALLY fun... I was one who was blessed by making some real landings and takeoffs from Meigs back in the 70s and early 90s. I'm just wondering if I got it installed okay. First of all, it isn't listed in my airport directory... so I had to slew my way there from Midway. Is that the way its supposed to be? Also I don't see a control tower modeled. Is that the way you guys have it? And my last question is, the readme indicates that Chicago Approach and Departure are supposed to show up on the ATC window, but I don't see them. Wonder if I have it all installed right, or I just don't know how to operate it correctly. This old guy is more challenged by computers than a stick and rudder !!Thanks,STeve

Guest missionballer

While im glad that people are enjoying the meigs scenery, i just cant bring myself to install it because it is still a sore issue for me and probably other simmers out there. If youre like me and grw up in flight sim at trusty ol' meigs during flight sim's formative years, seeing the place shut down and bulldozed over in the middle of the night by a mayor who simply saw dollar signs in his eyes is still a sore issue with me. And I dont even live in Chicago. To this day i dont like even flying into Chicago in the sim due to this fact. Call me hardcore, but it is the truth. I liken it to visiting a grave of a loved one. Melancholy at best. Same goes for Kai Tek in Hong Kong. Oh my the memories of the checkerboard approach. Such fun. But again memories. I still remember a multiplayer session with about 15 people in big jets (among them one very famous freeware aircraft builder), and we were all doing the checkerboard approach. and some dying in the process lol. But to get back on track with the post, I hope the newcomers to the world of flight sim have fun with such add ons as the meigs scenery addon and the similiar one for kai tek, but this old dog simply cant bring himself to revisit old hauntsI raise my glass to you IFRfun, where ever you are

for me it shows up in atc, and also in the airport directory...so maybe there is an install issue. There are two main steps - a folder that has to go into addon scenery, and the bgl file. After that, did you go into your scenery directory within FSX and add the area?also, you have the put a tick in the addon scenery box listed there as well.let me know if this helpsd -

Thanks... Do you remember when you installed it if you got an overwrite warning? I remember that when I installed it... I got two of those dialog windows... that asked me if I wanted to over write... There was something in the file title (I wish I could remember) about "not recognizing" KCGX or something like that. I overwrote it... But now when I reinstall... and now when I try to install I don't get those windows anymore. I wonder if I eliminated something in FSX that should have stayed. If so I don't think there would be no fix except to reinstall the whole sim. Horror of Horrors! I may have to live with having to slew to Meigs. Sheesh!Thanks for your reply!Steve

Hmm...I cannot recall an overwrite warning on my end. Only a few screens saying my scenery was being updated. I must guess that something did go wrong, and slewing might well be your best bet....Sorry that I am of no help, but glad you are able to have fun with it nonetheless.DillinghamX for Hawaii is another favorite of mine, it is payware - but easily worth it. Probably the most detailed small airport I have ever seen for FSX, if you are liking the Meigs rebirth, you would love Dillingham.D- -

D-Wow! We must really resonate in some of the FS things we like. I too love Dillingham. I purchased it the same time I got MegaScenery for Hawaii. Its one of my favorites. Are you aware of any ofther small airport packages that are good?Also, I completely (for the 3rd time) downloaded AND re installed the Meigs Program. I am still unable to start at Meigs, since it is not in the airport directory. BUT I did find KCGX, tower, ground, Chicago Approach on my ATC Screen. Maybe it was there before, but I missed it. I wrote a note of appreciation to the designer of the software with a question about my airport directory. Hopefully he may have an idea.Thanks much for your kind response.Steve

Hi. If you downloaded and installed the meigs_field.zip by Pedro Vendeira it does show in the Airport Select Screen as shown below. You also can watch the AI traffic land and takeoff. If you need help installing it PM me and I'll be glad to help you. Best regards, Bob.

I landed there just the other day dodging all the bushes myself. I had actually landed there a few times during training for my PPL in the mid 90's. Great for unexpected cross wind landings when the wind was swirling out of the west around all the buildings.I don't care what Mayor Daley calls it now...it will alwasy be Meigs Field to me.I'll have to search for the latest file for KCGX.Steve

you got that right!Yep, we must be on the same wavelength. I am not aware of smaller airports that are on the same level. I hope there are more I dont know about. I have the realair scout, decathlon, and citabria package which came with an updated version of bear gulch...that is pretty darn good I must say..If you find any, let me know, if I do - I will pm you.Good luck getting meigs to work fully...sorry I cannot help more.happyflightsD - -

It has been pointed out to me by PM that there is an error in the AFCAD. It places Meigs in the state of Chicago and the city of Chicago. The AFCAD needs to be fixed so that it shows Meigs in the state of Illinois, and in the city of Chicago as it states now. I never noticed this as I always just typed in KCGX. Regards, Bob.