Sign in to follow this  
Wilson

AVSIM donation address

I was just about to send a way over-due donation to AVSIM.However, I noticed that the address is no longer in Virginia, but in Canada!Just curious, why? Is something gained or lost throught the money exchange?Wilson

Not at all. That's where our treasurer (Kathryn Whitwell) lives. She'll deposit that in a Bank of America account. Thanks for asking and thanks for donating.

Forgot to ask . . .What is the postage for a first class to CA?Wilson

Thanks, Tom.My business dealings with foreign countries have been mainly European and Asian. I assumed that anything going out of the U.S. would require some sort of additional fee.Where is my administrative assistant when I need her. I should be doing this from my office.Wilson

I just saw the donation post on the main page. It prompted me to remember that I still haven't made that donation.I am still questioning whether some part of a donation from the U.S. isn't lost. I have already explained my ignorance of currency exchange, but I find it difficult to believe that U.S. dollars can be sent to Canada and then be returned/spent by a U.S. organization with no exchange fees incurred.Is one U.S. dollar donated to AVSIM equal to one U.S. dollar available for AVSIM to spend?I am guessing that just because it is "Bank of America" probably doesn't have anything to do with exchange rates in a foreign country.I just don't understand why AVSIM has a Canadian bank account.Tom, do you mind indulging me and explaining that?Thanks,Wilson

Guest jbinner

Let me explain while Tom is out and about.....The Whitwells, Robert and Kathryn are in fact Canadian. Kathryn is our accountant. However that DOES NOT MEAN ANY of our accounts are there. Bank Of America is in fact our bank, PayPal is in the U.S. and Every dollar sent in is a U.S. Dollar. Kathryn takes ALL checks and they either visit Seattle, or they mail the checks to Bank Of America....They might even reply to this and let you know of Bank Of America banks in Canada, I don't know there.They either transfer to and from PayPal, or they make deposits to the Bank Of America account.Not that there is anything to worry about with Canada, but we can assure you that every dollar goes to American sources and Avsim is Inc. in Virgina, USA.Hope this info helps.

John,Thanks for responding.Okay, I believe that I understand. I didn't explain that I was speaking of mailing a check, as opposed to PayPal.So, as I understand it, Kathryn will take my U.S. check and hide in the trunk (boot) of the car. Robert will then drive the car over the border to Seattle, open the boot and let Kathryn out, hopefully still breathing. She will then take my check and deposit it into the U.S. AVSIM bank account at Bank of America, Seattle branch. Viola! No currency exchange fees!So, one final question before I send the check. Does Kathryn have to hide in the trunk going back into Canada?:-) WilsonP.S. Wouldn't it have been easier for me to send the check to Virginia and someone just let Kathryn know to post the deposit?

:-lol Now THAT is hilarious!Wait, come to think of it, my pager fps IS higher.Wilson