Sign in to follow this  
lownslo

YouTuber Trevor Jacob pleads guilty

Throw away the key, tired of this guy

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

Most likely  he  wont  go  to  prison  since  they  made  a  plea  deal 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Unlikely that he will get the full 20 year sentence.  I think he will have a felony record, but it may be something like 6-12 months jail plus several years suspended sentence.  I hope the FAA imposes a permanent ban on him ever getting his pilot's license reinstated.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

So what is the nature of the charge? Crashing into a national forest, or not reporting a crash to the FAA so they could conduct an investigation. Or both. If you deliberately wreck your own property, by crashing it on your own land, is it still an offence? 

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

So what is the nature of the charge? Crashing into a national forest, or not reporting a crash to the FAA so they could conduct an investigation. Or both. If you deliberately wreck your own property, by crashing it on your own land, is it still an offence? 

Jacob pleaded guilty to one count of destruction and concealment with the intent to obstruct a federal investigation, a crime that carries a maximum penalty of 20 years behind bars, the U.S. attorney’s office for Central California said in a news release.

The quote above is from the linked article:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Obstruction of a federal investigation, including lying about not knowing the location of the crash site as well as removing and destroying the aircraft.

The NTSB informed Jacob to preserve the wreckage and that he would need to provide the location of the crash to the agency. Despite that, Jacob lied to investigators and informed them that he could not provide the location of the crash. He then flew a helicopter to the wreckage site with a friend and airlifted the plane to a location where he had prepared a pickup truck and trailer. The Taylorcraft was then towed to a nearby airport and unloaded in a hanger, only to cut up the plane and dispose of the wreckage in multiple locations.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/youtuber-crashed-plane-for-views-and-cut-up-aircraft-to-hide-from-feds

7 hours ago, goates said:

Obstruction of a federal investigation, including lying about not knowing the location of the crash site as well as removing and destroying the aircraft.

Yep, but what happens if you take off from your own strip, on your own land, circle your own land at let's say 500 feet, then crash your own property on your own land?

Given the above, would you still be prosecuted or, as its your own land and property, would you be within your rights to not report it and do what you like with your own property on your own land.

That's what I meant when I asked about the nature of the charges, in that, does the fact it was in a national forest have relevance, rather than your own land.

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yep, but what happens if you take off from your own strip, on your own land, circle your own land at let's say 500 feet, then crash your own property on your own land?

Under US Law your private property is your land all the way up into outer space, but the law does allow aircraft to fly over your land as a public easement under flight rules, however in the past some farmers have trespassed the air force for flying low over their land and scaring the livestock (extremely rare), but when you do take off from your land and fly over your land and crash into your land that is still under FAA Regulation, the FAA still has jurisdiction over your flying inside the United States regardless of it being your land or not, they cover all airspace regulations above all land being private or public inside the United States 😃

Matthew Kane

3 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Under US Law your private property is your land all the way up into outer space,

😲 I own a patch of space. So can that column I own keep going into outer space, and can I say I own everything all the way to the end of the observable universe? 😁 Which means there must be a patch of a planet I own. 

3 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

the FAA still has jurisdiction over your flying inside the United States regardless of it being your land or not, they cover all airspace regulations above all land being private or public inside the United States

Grrr curse them. 😡 What about other nations? Can I move my squadron of aircraft to another land and be free to plough them into my own dirt at Mach 2? 👍

On 5/12/2023 at 12:37 AM, pete_auau said:

Most likely  he  wont  go  to  prison  since  they  made  a  plea  deal 

Fun Fact:  In the USA,   greater than 98% of ALL federal criminal trials end in a plea bargain.     

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

😲 I own a patch of space. So can that column I own keep going into outer space, and can I say I own everything all the way to the end of the observable universe? 😁 Which means there must be a patch of a planet I own. 

No. Since your "column of space" is constantly in motion, anything contained within that column would momentarily belong to you in theory, but since it is in motion, would not remain stationary long enough to file a lien on said property before it was no longer contained within said column.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

41 minutes ago, n4gix said:

No. Since your "column of space" is constantly in motion, anything contained within that column would momentarily belong to you in theory, but since it is in motion, would not remain stationary long enough to file a lien on said property before it was no longer contained within said column.

😡 Now I'm very disappointed.

But wait, perhaps I could charge a passage fee for any interstellar craft that passed through my beloved column? I'm thinking 5 million galactic credits. And of course for hyperspace highways the fee would be in the trillions. 

Given that the planet Earth is constantly rotating, and the solar system is rotating with the galaxy, and the galaxy is moving through the vastness of interstellar space, in fact toward an inevitable collision with the Andromeda galaxy, I've actually got a super mega amazing money making column sweeping around the universe.

I'm going to be rich! 😀

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

I do believe the property laws as they have been generally written state 'to the heavens' but some of those laws go back centuries and have been amended. This guy explains what I've been saying and he is an actual lawyer so more credible then I am:

Matthew Kane

Matthew, if your video tells me that my intergalactic money making enterprise is a no go, I will be very disappointed. 

Edited by martin-w