Sign in to follow this  
Daube

OrbX TrueEarth Washington in XP12: settings advice ?

Hi all,

TL;DR: Seattle in the OrbX TrueEarth scenery looks very dark at night. What can I do to improve this ?

-----------------

This topic is just for me to ask some small advice regarding the settings of XP12 when using the TrueEarth Washington scenery. I'm fully aware of the fact that this scenery was made for XP11 and is not officially compatible/supported for XP12, so I'm not expecting much. In fact, I just want to check if, maybe, I have overlooked some settings somewhere, or some easy tweaking, in order to improve the quality of my rendering a bit.

Here is the context: the scenery seem to work well, despite the unbelievably-long loading times (like twice as long as it was in XP11 maybe?). But yesterday for the first time in XP12, I tried flying at dusk/dawn/night, and I was a bit (unpleasantly) surprised by the night lights in the city. In fact; the city was looking quite dark. The windows of buildings and house were lit, but not very bright, and I have the impression I may be missing some street poles lights. Also, when looking at the highways, the pole lights and car lights are there, but they don't look very bright, as if car lights were just one white pixel with nothing to "enhance" it. To summarize, I'm missing the "bright" or "shiny" impression, something like that. It's like there's no bloom effects or something like that.

If I remember correctly, the cities night lighting in XP11 was more impressive.... but now I'm wondering if, maybe, I was using some addons or shader tweaks... What do you think ?

It's an Xp11 scenery it wont work properly with xp12.  

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, Daube said:

Nobody is using that scenery in XP12 ?

Waiting for Orbx to convert it to XP12.

Fulcrum One Yoke / FSProjects Airbus Side Stick, Honeycomb Bravo, Slaw Device RX Viper V2

Intel i9 10900K, EVGA 3080Ti FTW, 32GB RAM

12 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

It's an Xp11 scenery it wont work properly with xp12.  

Not 100% true. It works in XP12 as well. If a scenery provides its own mesh and overlay it'll pretty much look the same, it's when you try to mix features (e.g. New trees with XP11 orthos) when things look wrong. The loading times are an issue though that LR are aware of. 

3 hours ago, mrcultureshock said:

Waiting for Orbx to convert it to XP12.

Let them know you want this.. The more people express interest the more possibility they'd be likely to consider it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tonywob said:

... The loading times are an issue though that LR are aware of. ..

I very much hope that LR will solve this problem in favor of the ability to use resources intended for XP11.
I have a lot of scenery I paid for, many free ones, and I don't want to get rid of them (I don't count too much on add-on developers and their massive XP12 updates).
The biggest problem for me right now is XP12's killer loading time in multiple locations (up to 30 minutes!!!) , which makes me prefer to keep using XP11  ;-(

I understand the feeling, even though I have fortunately not reached (yet) such long loading times !! 

The thing is, for me there is no way back to XP11 really. The XP12 graphic engine allows me to fly in VR with clouds finally, and what I'm trying to achieve right now is a complete re-discovery of the sceneries I had back in XP11 with that new technology. But so far things are not going as smooth as I expected 😄 On day time it should be fine I guess, but for darker times I'm not there yet.

Edited by Daube

Is it not a matter of LR finalizing the mesh and other scenery specs and then Orbx contracting out the work to batch process their sceneries to XP12 constructs?  The return on investment is surly worth it.

11 hours ago, Daube said:

I understand the feeling, even though I have fortunately not reached (yet) such long loading times !! 

It would be understandable and acceptable to me if the "old" XP11 scenery caused a CTD or permanent XP12 crash.
But I am surprised that after these 30 minutes (!!!), the simulator finally starts and everything looks good, airport, scenery, etc.
   - everything works without any problem, without any error message... 😉