Sign in to follow this  
jmdriskell

New to MSFS

4 hours ago, DaWu said:

Dubai, Frankfurt or Heathrow are terrible. Quickly made with zero details. My biggest regret is buying the useless premium package 

You are wrong. 

• Like 3

I went to Steam which has been good to me, specially a couple of years ago when some who bought from the MS Store were plagued by problems. Be it known that the MS team has a talent to complicate everything 😁.  One drawback though, buying addons from the MS Store with a Steam version sim,  is a little bit convoluted,

About throwing money to a Premium version. Make your decision purely around the aircraft. The Longitude and 787 are absolute bore for me and there are enough smaller GA in the Standard to make my day. The Standard version has also an excellent business jet by the way. So Standard was the way go. YMMV. 

The extra airports of the two Premium versions are better than in Standard but not as good as the ones you will find with payware as far as I can see. 

Two other things.

MSFS is very special in the sense that it triggered a freeware Big Bang. There is a dedicated and superbly organized site which is worth your time to browse  :

https://flightsim.to

About the DC3 . Unfortunately, the only one available is from Aeroplane Haven but you have an excellent PMDG DC-6.

And, of course, welcome to this community. I’ve been simming for ages, I can compare,  and MSFS is a wonderful sim.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

It's a bit of a learning curve.  I still haven't tackled the camera system.  It sucks to be honest.  Once you figure out the interface and get your peripherals bound, it'll be better.  The way you look around and interact in the cockpit is a lot different, and the drastic difference from FSX in terms of keyboard shortcuts is a lot to figure out. 

The World Map is where I go to create my flights.  You pick your plane on the upper left and then select the airport using the search feature.  They are all there, and you can still select a gate or parking spot in the drop down where the active runway displays.  You can choose to create a flight plan with SIDs and STARs, which makes the route more realistic, but the ability to customize it seems to be lacking.  ATC is pretty lame and a bit faulty, so I keep the route direct for weather purposes and just select the departure and arrival airport.

I use FlightAware and ForeFlight for flight planning and www.eurofpl.eu for European routes.  I mainly fly in the states though.  Way more places to obtain routes in the US for free.  I don't know about importing flights into the sim, but I don't think it's necessary unless you use ATC.  SimBrief is what I use to create airline routes that I can then import into the PMDG or Fenix, along with fuel and weather predictions.  ForeFlight does the fuel and weather/wind factor much better, but it's costly and SimBrief is not too far off usually.

• Like 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

10 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

You should have bought the Premium Deluxe Edition. 

Why ? For the few extra planes and airports ? Look at sites like as flightsim.to and you get all this (and more) for free.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

1 hour ago, Orlaam said:

It's a bit of a learning curve.  I still haven't tackled the camera system.  It sucks to be honest. 

You should probably tackle it, great system - to the point that if Chaseplane was available for MSFS I probably wouldn't bother buying it .. ..

1 hour ago, willy647 said:

Why ? For the few extra planes and airports ? Look at sites like as flightsim.to and you get all this (and more) for free.

Can't say on the airports, but you're not going to get aircraft of the quality of the AAU (1&2) aircraft from Flightsim.to anytime soon.. .. .. obviously that depends on what you fly as to how much value that is to you.

G

• Like 3

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

The Citation Longitude - with AAU1

The 787 - 10 - with AAU2

1 hour ago, willy647 said:

not available for free on flightsim.to

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

You are wrong. 

Lol yeah

Lukas Dalton

2 hours ago, willy647 said:

Some people will find value with the Longitude and now with AAU2, the 787. It depends on the person.

Both the Longitude and 787 have improved immensely because of Working Title. And the base plane is not available for free on flightsim.to.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, Gazzareth said:

Can't say on the airports, but you're not going to get aircraft of the quality of the AAU (1&2) aircraft from Flightsim.to anytime soon.. .. .. obviously that depends on what you fly as to how much value that is to you.

That is correct, but for the money you spend on the Premium Deluxe you can buy PMDG or Fenix which are (in my opinion) far better than the microsoft planes.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

3 hours ago, Orlaam said:

I still haven't tackled the camera system.  It sucks to be honest.  Once you figure out the interface and get your peripherals bound, it'll be better.  The way you look around and interact in the cockpit is a lot different, and the drastic difference from FSX in terms of keyboard shortcuts is a lot to figure out. 

- You position your camera in the cockpit,

- then do a CNTRL-ALT-<number> to ask MSFS to save the position

- then bind a button/switch on a joystick or throttle quadrant to Load Custom Camera <number you chose>  in the Control Options panel>Camera>Cockpit camera

Easy enough

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

you're not going to get aircraft of the quality of the AAU (1&2) aircraft from Flightsim.to anytime soon

The 747 which comes with the Standard version is upgraded with the AAU, isn't she ?

I think that the Premium made sense early on when the 3rd party addon market  was very small. Not anymore.

Dominique

3 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I think that the Premium made sense early on when the 3rd party addon market  was very small. Not anymore.

It's exactly the other way around: Premium now makes even more sense because of the AAU1 and AAU2 improvements. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, willy647 said:

That is correct, but for the money you spend on the Premium Deluxe you can buy PMDG or Fenix which are (in my opinion) far better than the microsoft planes.

The Longitude has become pretty awesome (as in payware quality) after AAU1 and I myself am extremely happy to be a Premium Deluxe owner. I never expected being a Premium Deluxe owner would have its benefits (apart from owning some extra goodies) but it sure does. The Longitude is the only plane I fly nowadays (and I do own the Fenix!). And you never know what more suprises there are in store for Premium Deluxe owners. 😉I bought the PD edition on the day of the MSFS release thinking 'Better safe than sorry' and I am very glad I did because I am safe! 😉

Edited by tup61
  • Like 3

Keep in mind that Premium Deluxe gives you a 33% discount on Microsoft aircraft in the Marketplace. Some of them are really good and totally worth it, but admittedly, others are average at best. I'm really enjoying the ATR right now. While there are still some open issues, I'm confident they'll get fixed in the coming months.

If you're into this type of flying, the Longitude is totally worth it after AAU1. And I thoroughly enjoy the steam gauge Cessna 172 (Deluxe package), even more so after I bought the improvement add-on by Just Flight. Also planning on getting the Steam Gauge Overhaul for the Baron (Deluxe), but still holding off until I have more time for simming again.

• Like 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

29 minutes ago, tup61 said:

The Longitude has become pretty awesome (as in payware quality) after AAU1 and I myself am extremely happy to be a Premium Deluxe owner. I never expected being a Premium Deluxe owner would have its benefits (apart from owning some extra goodies) but it sure does. The Longitude is the only plane I fly nowadays (and I do own the Fenix!). And you never know what more suprises there are in store for Premium Deluxe owners. 😉I bought the PD edition on the day of the MSFS release thinking 'Better safe than sorry' and I am very glad I did because I am safe! 😉

I bought the Premium Deluxe version too on the day of the release of MSFS. The extra money I paid for the Premium Deluxe version over the basic version of MSFS was like nothing, especially because I got a new CPU and a new GPU, just for MSFS.

The work that Working Title has done on the 787 will be awesome, when I fly it again. I especially like that the flight model for the 787 has been improved by Working Title.

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM